Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone worried about Mauer's power outage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Looking at some stats I noticed he has just 2 homeruns so far this season. He hit 28 last year, but averaged under 10 the four years before that. Hopefully it's just a fluke and last years power numbers were his true development, but is anyone concerned?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Looking at some stats I noticed he has just 2 homeruns so far this season. He hit 28 last year, but averaged under 10 the four years before that. Hopefully it's just a fluke and last years power numbers were his true development, but is anyone concerned?

To be honest, I think last year's 28HR's were the fluke but I guess that still has yet to be seen. :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Topnotchsy said:

To be honest, I think last year's 28HR's were the fluke but I guess that still has yet to be seen. :D
The jump seemed pretty huge, but every scout has always said that Mauer would develop power. If he bats .320+ with 20 homers that still huge production from behind the plate (especially with his plate discipline) but 10 homers would be a big disappointment IMO.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
JoshHamilton said:
Bryce Harper uses Joe Mauer cards as toilet paper

he seems to like the jumbo booklet bat barrels the best :eek:
:lol:

You think that harper uses toilet paper? He hires playboy models to use it for him ;)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Slette said:
The Twins' HR numbers at Target Field are down across the whole line up.

THIS.

think about how David White has faired at Chiti Field both last year (5 HRs at home, 5 on the road) and this year so far (2 HR at home and 8 on the road)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think Mauer will hit for more power, though 15-20 home runs maybe his ceiling instead of the nearly 30 home runs he hit in 2009.

I didn't really wonder too long, but for a moment I was like, who is David White [Wright] and where exactly is Chiti [Citi] Field?

ThoseBackPages said:
Slette said:
The Twins' HR numbers at Target Field are down across the whole line up.

THIS.

think about how David White has faired at Chiti Field both last year (5 HRs at home, 5 on the road) and this year so far (2 HR at home and 8 on the road)

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Joe Mauer is the next Wade Boggs but at catcher. Boggs had one 20 HR season and was mostly a single digit HR hitter his whole career.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Well I am a huge Twins fan and they were just talking about this during a game recently. They referrence Roberto Clemente and how everybody said that he wasn't hitting for power, and then he tried to one year to prove to everybody that he could and hit almost 30 HR. After that he went back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with Mauer and that he isn't exactly "looking" for HR anymore and just solid contact. Also the fact that alot of his HR last year went to left center where it is about impossible to hit one out at Target Field.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
TGutta said:
Well I am a huge Twins fan and they were just talking about this during a game recently. They referrence Roberto Clemente and how everybody said that he wasn't hitting for power, and then he tried to one year to prove to everybody that he could and hit almost 30 HR. After that he went back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with Mauer and that he isn't exactly "looking" for HR anymore and just solid contact. Also the fact that alot of his HR last year went to left center where it is about impossible to hit one out at Target Field.
I really don't understand why the Twins built Target Field the way they did.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
trademhigh said:
TGutta said:
I really don't understand why the Twins built Target Field the way they did.

I think they did it thinking that they have a pretty short porch in RF and with all of the Power Lefty's that they would hit some out. Obviously they didn't take into account the role of where the winds blowing and the fact that Mauer's HR go to center and left center and that is where the field plays the deepest.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
LLWesMan said:
How does that explain their lack of power on the road?

Fair point. I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I'm too lazy to dig them up right now. I do know Morneau has hit the majority of his HRs on the road, this season. In the paper up here, they talked with Cuddyer and Span, who have both had Metrodome home runs fall short in Target Field. If the wind would ever die down up here, maybe they'd be able to knock a few more out, but it's been a really windy summer in the Twin Cities.

But as far as their road power, I have no good answer for you.

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
Mauer is not a homerun hitting player. He does not swing for the fences every at bat like most players do. That's just how he rolls.

Members online