Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Robbie Aviles suffers arm injury days before draft...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Didn't see this posted and just found out yesterday from a few of my players.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20106050344

Robbie Aviles, 1-2 round prospect from Suffern HS, suffers arm injury in his final start before the draft.

From what I was told by players on my team that know him...

5 pitches thrown - 90, 91, 92, 94, 95....then boom, pop in elbow on the next pitch, which was 89.

Talk about a bad break!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Naturally, the guy who won my Aviles AFLAC a few days ago hasn't paid yet. Wonder why.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
securedsports said:
I wouldn't have had him pitching to be honest. I hope he had insurance.

Scout show up, you pitch. He was a potential 1st rounder, but a final good outing (especially hitting 95 mph) could have boosted his stock to 1st round. Not sure why you think it's something out of the ordinary.

Hell, some college draft prospects are still playing. Should they not play because of the draft?

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
NECpilgrims8 said:
securedsports said:

Scout show up, you pitch. Not sure why you think it's something out of the ordinary.

Hell, some college draft prospects are still playing. Should they not play because of the draft?

Not sure when this happened, but college is a tad different than high school. I would have manipulated when he pitched so he pitched like Tuesday. I feel bad for the kid. I was on the field when this happened once, our pitcher blew out his arm and we even heard the elbow pop, very rare, but it was odd.

loftlife

Feb 7, 2010
Just goes to show how just about anything can happen to any prospect... no sure bets except taxes and the sunrise.

Feel bad for the guy...

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
securedsports said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
securedsports said:

Scout show up, you pitch. Not sure why you think it's something out of the ordinary.

Not sure when this happened, but college is a tad different than high school. I would have manipulated when he pitched so he pitched like Tuesday. I feel bad for the kid. I was on the field when this happened once, our pitcher blew out his arm and we even heard the elbow pop, very rare, but it was odd.

It actually happened Wednesday, during their Section 1 baseball tournament semifinal vs. Mamaroneck. Not sure how you would have "manipulated" anything, as they didn't play that Tuesday.

You play your players for your games, and he was likely only to pitch 1-3 innings max. I speak to his coaches regularly and they said he was completely healthy and ready to go. It just is an unfortunate thing, but it can happen any time.

I can tell you have some great ideas when it comes to handling top talent. Who have you coached in the past of note that was worthy of this type of special treatment?

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
NECpilgrims8 said:
securedsports said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
securedsports said:

It actually happened Wednesday, during their Section 1 baseball tournament semifinal vs. Mamaroneck. Not sure how you would have "manipulated" anything, as they didn't play that Tuesday.

You play your players for your games, and he was likely only to pitch 1-3 innings max. I speak to his coaches regularly and they said he was completely healthy and ready to go. It just is an unfortunate thing, but it can happen any time.

I can tell you have some great ideas when it comes to handling top talent. Who have you coached in the past of note that was worthy of this type of special treatment?

Well I didn't know the circumstances and if he was in a tournament. I would put my players in the best possible position to succeed. It is unfortunate. I just hope the family had insurance because that is some big money they will wind up losing. The bigger thing is nowadays, although I disagree, is that everyone babies these pitchers. Lets get back to the date where there were 3 man rotations and they pitched all 9 innings. The pitch counts suck and are overrated.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
beefycheddar said:
He can always go to college still.

Yes he has the Miami scholarship to fall back on. Based on my first hand knowledge though, he'll sign on the dotted line if taken in the top 10 rounds. He has very little interest in college ball, as bad as that sounds.

He's a good kid and this sucks for him and his family. His brother was also getting looked at by scouts as a trickle down effect, so who know how that is going to play out too.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
cgilmo said:
I'm not even sure insurance is a possibility in a case like this.

I am in the insurance business and yes it is possible and probably likely. They can get through a high risk carrier, i.e. Lloyds of London, etc.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
He was playing my high school's varsity team when it happened.

It seems to me that it wasn't a one pitch and boom something happened. The day before Suffern called the game due to "lightning" even though I was almost in Suffern and it was sunny and our team was already there. My friends who are on the team even took pictures and a video of how nice the weather was in Suffern. I'm pretty sure Suffern did that to give Aviles another day since he was supposed to be pitching on 3 days rest.

The next day he threw 12 pitches in which he was throwing 95. He then came out of the game due to a "pulled groin" although now we know and it was obvious that it was a cover up. Personally I think that his arm was bothering him but he didn't want to skip a start and get all 30 mlb scouts that were there nervous so he threw half an inning and then left the game due to an injury that would not scare away scouts.

Really sucks for him, I've heard he's got some attitude problems and has awful grades in school.

He's a filthy pitcher though, but my 20 AFLACS are not happy.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
beefycheddar said:

Yes he has the Miami scholarship to fall back on. Based on my first hand knowledge though, he'll sign on the dotted line if taken in the top 10 rounds. He has very little interest in college ball, as bad as that sounds.

He's a good kid and this sucks for him and his family. His brother was also getting looked at by scouts as a trickle down effect, so who know how that is going to play out too.

University of Florida actually

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
goblue6919 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
beefycheddar said:

University of Florida actually

I thought I was going crazy as he wasn't on any list of Miami commits that I had been following. That would make much more sense.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
goblue6919 said:
He was playing my high school's varsity team when it happened.

It seems to me that it wasn't a one pitch and boom something happened. The day before Suffern called the game due to "lightning" even though I was almost in Suffern and it was sunny and our team was already there. My friends who are on the team even took pictures and a video of how nice the weather was in Suffern. I'm pretty sure Suffern did that to give Aviles another day since he was supposed to be pitching on 3 days rest.

The next day he threw 12 pitches in which he was throwing 95. He then came out of the game due to a "pulled groin" although now we know and it was obvious that it was a cover up. Personally I think that his arm was bothering him but he didn't want to skip a start and get all 30 mlb scouts that were there nervous so he threw half an inning and then left the game due to an injury that would not scare away scouts.

Really sucks for him, I've heard he's got some attitude problems and has awful grades in school.

He's a filthy pitcher though, but my 20 AFLACS are not happy.
I don't get it why a top school like Florida would want someone with terrible attitude and a 2.0 gpa. If I ran a college I would rather have another kid with a 3.3 or better attend than some pitching prospect with the above traits. Just my opinion, I do hope all works out for him though.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
Florida could be dirty next year with Austin Maddox, Karsten Whitson, Keenan Kish, Robbie Aviles and Daniel Gibson if those guys don't sign.

Members online

No members online now.