Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Somewhere along the way Johan Santana got lost...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've been looking at Santana's stats recently and living in NY I keep up to date with how he is doing pretty closely. It's amazing how he's almost "disappeared" from people's radars, especially when discussing the best pitchers in baseball.

Here's how I see it:

He came to NY in 2008 and due to poor run support "only" went 16-7 with the lowest ERA in the NL.
In 2009 he was probably the best pitcher in baseball for his first 10 starts before elbow soreness hindered his play. By the time he shut it down he was 13-9 with a 3.13 ERA.
This season he has allowed more than 2 runs only 3 times all season (one being a 10 run disaster which is why his ERA is 2.76 instead of under 2.) He's giving up far fewer homers than he has in the past (6 for the season, 4 of which were in that one game.)

While Ubaldo is running away with the Cy Young Award barring a real drop-off, and Santana's record is only 4-2 because the team has let him down (he already has 4 games where he got a no-decision despite not giving up a single run) I think it's safe to say he's still one of the very best in the business, and one of the years the law of averages says he'll get the offensive support to put up a lot of wins.

Personally I think he could easily win at least one more Cy Young in his career and would not be surprised if he won a couple.

Thoughts?

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Totally agree, I understand he's lost velocity, and the difference between the change and fastball, but he's still up there on the lists of who I'd want. Sure I'll take Doc or Ubaldo right now, but Johan shouldn't be too far behind.

Latest posts