Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where's the love for Matt Davidson?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
I can't seem to figure out how this kid isn't getting more buzz. Take a look at Nick Franklin, having an amazing year at Low-A to the tune of .310/.357/.566/.923 with 12 HR's and a 21.7 K%/7.1 BB%.

Davidson's line is actually quite comparable, though power from a premium position like SS(Franklin) will always hold more weight. .294/.372/.493/.865 with 7 HR's and 27.5 K%/9 BB% while leading the league with 19 doubles. The strikeouts scare me a lot, but over last ten games he's walked twice as much as he's struck out(10:5), while still hitting .315. This trend pleases me.

Even so, Davidson is outperforming his teammate Bobby Borchering who is hitting .257/.317/.413/.730 with 7 Hr's and 22.9 K%/8.3 BB%. Borchering outsells Davidson quite a bit too.

I can't seem to figure it out, does Borchering project for that much more power? Also something to consider, but Davidson did win the 2008 Aflac Homerun Derby. I think Franklin's power production will slow down a bit considering his 6' 1" 170 frame.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Borchering has Bowman Chrome auto which always fare well than any Davidson Bowman Chrome parallels (doesn't have any auto in Bowman). It's a matter of time when Borchering keeps faltering while Davidson keeps his play consistently. I like Davidson as well...

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
there is a beautiful matt davidson gold ref on ebay, hit the link in my sig :D

I like davidson also. I think you are not making a fair comparison to Borchering though. What cards are you comparing? The elite autos are the only card that they have that is similar. It is even more difficult because this is davidson's only autos and borchering has two others. I just don't see a fair comparison....

skrip

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
ballerskrip said:
there is a beautiful matt davidson gold ref on ebay, hit the link in my sig :D

I like davidson also. I think you are not making a fair comparison to Borchering though. What cards are you comparing? The elite autos are the only card that they have that is similar. It is even more difficult because this is davidson's only autos and borchering has two others. I just don't see a fair comparison....

skrip

I did consider that, it seems that players without Bowman Chrome autos tend to suffer despite production. Or has the market reached a state where buying a player non-autographed Bowman chrome parallels is considered risky since they will likely receive an autographed version later?

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
It's simple. Davidson's first card is an 09 Draft Chrome, if I remember correctly. Someone on the boards (skrip?) has an Xfractor BGS 10. Anyway, Borchering's first card was an auto(09 Draft Chrome auto). That means that will ALWAYS be that player's best card. I mean there may be more valuable cards produced of Borch in the future, but if you want one card, it's going to be the chrome RC auto.

It also provides a great opportunity for investment for prospectors when that situation arises. They don't have to pick between first year base chromes vs. second year autos, and neither do the buyers on the market when selling time rolls around. They see one chrome card, which is the FY Chrome auto, then immediately, that's the RC to have so they bid. That's why when a player's first chrome is an auto, that card immediately carries a premium (assuming it's not Brad Hand).

To answer your question about buying non-autoed chrome, I'd stay away. See Jaff Decker (even though his chrome autos haven't gone live yet), and a couple of other guys I always go back to: Mike Moustakas (imagine his chrome prices if he didn't have a FY chrome non-auto), Madison Bumgarner, Matt Laporta, David Price, and Jarrod Parker. Just have patience and wait for the chrome auto.

If he doesn't have a chrome auto in a product this year, which I think he probably will, then buy up the base chrome parallels. It does happen sometimes that guys only have a chrome RC and no auto (i.e. Kris Medlen, Jeremy Hellickson, but can't think of a more recent guy who Topps/Bowman has missed.)

Just some stuff I've noticed over the past couple of years. Hope this helps.
Ant

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
The gap closens.....:lol:

Davidson - .294 9 HRs 42 RBIs
Franklin - .299 14 HRs 37 RBIs

Davidsons K/BB ratio is still trending well too. I can't wait for his BC auto to come out.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Although its not Chrome (Chrome is always king of course), Davidson does have some nice parallel autos in 2009 Elite Extra. Plus he has the AFLAC Auto which IMO would be worth more than his base & even ref Bowman Chrome autos (IF they ever make one). Just look at Jason Heyward's AFLAC auto card compared to his 2008 or 2010 Bowman Chrome Autos.

Allen

Members online