Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark Prior and Stephen Strasburg - 10 Similarities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
While I will be the 1st one to call Dusty a terrible manager, there are many(including Nolan Ryan)who blame pitch counts for many of the injuries of the last 10 or so years.

That being said, Prior's injury had absolutely nothing to do with pitching. And yes, his mechanics were said to be "flawless" as well.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
While I will be the 1st one to call Dusty a terrible manager, there are many(including Nolan Ryan)who blame pitch counts for many of the injuries of the last 10 or so years.

That being said, Prior's injury had absolutely nothing to do with pitching. And yes, his mechanics were said to be "flawless" as well.

You are right, there is a school of thought out that says that pitchers are weaker now and more prone to injury due to increased focus on pitch counts. They have a lot of very valid arguments.

Here is a list of Prior's injuries, the arm stuff starts a lot later, the earlier injuries are just odd - like the Marcus Giles collision.

Date Injury Time Inactive

September 2002 - Strained hamstring while running the bases - Rest of season

Midseason 2003 - Shoulder after on-field collision with former Atlanta Braves second baseman Marcus Giles. - 3 Starts

Preseason 2004 - Achilles tendon injury - 2 months

Preseason 2005 - Elbow strain - 15 days

May 27, 2005 - Throwing elbow - comeback line drive off the bat of Brad Hawpe - 1 month

Preseason 2006 - Strained shoulder - 3 Months

July 14, 2006 - Strained left oblique in batting practice - 2 starts

August 14, 2006 - Shoulder tendinitis - Rest of 2006 Season

Spring Training 2007 - Shoulder surgery - Entire 2007 Season

March 26, 2008 - Shoulder surgery recovery - First part of 2008 season (60 day DL)

May 16, 2008 - A tear in the capsule of his pitching shoulder; shoulder surgery - Out for another six to eight weeks (60 day DL); out for the entire season

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
masonphillip said:
chashawk said:

You are right, there is a school of thought out that says that pitchers are weaker now and more prone to injury due to increased focus on pitch counts. They have a lot of very valid arguments.

Here is a list of Prior's injuries, the arm stuff starts a lot later, the earlier injuries are just odd - like the Marcus Giles collision.

Midseason 2003 - Shoulder after on-field collision with former Atlanta Braves second baseman Marcus Giles. - 3 Starts

May 27, 2005 - Throwing elbow - comeback line drive off the bat of Brad Hawpe - 1 month

March 26, 2008 - Shoulder surgery recovery - First part of 2008 season (60 day DL)

May 16, 2008 - A tear in the capsule of his pitching shoulder; shoulder surgery - Out for another six to eight weeks (60 day DL); out for the entire season

I remember watching the Marcus Giles incident. I remember the overall mood at Wrigley watching the game turned 180 degrees in an instant. To me, that was the beginning of the demise of Prior looking back. His arm didn't go blah and it wasn't Dusty's fault as everyone says. Just freak injuries on the field took him out.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
bballcardkid said:
masonphillip said:
chashawk said:

I remember watching the Marcus Giles incident. I remember the overall mood at Wrigley watching the game turned 180 degrees in an instant. To me, that was the beginning of the demise of Prior looking back. His arm didn't go blah and it wasn't Dusty's fault as everyone says. Just freak injuries on the field took him out.

Well, his arm did kind of come apart...that was just later.

Also, Johnny B. gets a lot of blame because Kerry Wood's career path followed a similar trajectory to Prior's after that season, so its the combo that gets him some of that blame, not just Mark.

I remember the Giles incident very well too, although, at the end of that season he looked as good, if not better than ever and many attributed that to the fact that he had a break due to the collision with Marcus.

Members online

Latest posts