Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

All the Prospects - Just Imagine/Reflect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
There's been some talk I've seen about how baseball is shifting with all the prospects and future stars popping out as of late. I just wanted to go down a slightly diferent road and share my thoughts...

Things would have been like this all along with prospects if the technology available today was there back in the early days. Between a channel playing nothing but MLB related content 24/7 and the internet, it's just amazing how the smallest information (not to mention the big pieces) get across to millions within minutes of happening.

Just imagine if the internet and various tv programming was available back in '48 when Mantle was still a kid in high school playing semi-pro ball. You think things are big with Harper? Just imagine Mantle. I also think it would have taken less time for him to get called up if the league was the size it is now and all the media outlets were available.

If a 17/18 year old cracks out 3 home runs in a community college in Nowheresville, KY, there is instant coverage and within hours, he's an internet sensation and on the radar for some scouts. Going back to the Mantle reference, he was only discovered because a scout was there for one of his teammates. If there was the technology there for things to spread, I would have to think that his talent would have already been known and he would have been on the scouting radar.

So is baseball really shifting, or are we just seeing technology's impact on the game.

Members online

Latest posts