Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why Exactly Is The Honus Wagner T-206 Worth SO Much???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
very few were made because wagner was against smoking, and he requested they take them out, so only a few made it out to the market

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
techboy42004 said:
Honestly... I am not very informed about it. Could someone fill me in? :shock:

The most obvious:

Scarcity
Story surrounding it (was pulled because he didn't support smoking)

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Alright... but there are SO many 1/1s these days... they are even scarcer... only one of each, Why arent the good condition ones of them going for multi-millions??? Im just kidding, but honestly, thats my opinion.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Alright... but there are SO many 1/1s these days... they are even scarcer... only one of each, Why arent the good condition ones of them going for multi-millions??? Im just kidding, but honestly, thats my opinion.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
The other story is American Tobacco did not want to pay him what h wanted and asked them to remove the card. In 1933 the card was valued at 50 bucks in a newspaper article about it. Wagner did chew tobacco.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
jeff550 said:
very few were made because wagner was against smoking, and he requested they take them out, so only a few made it out to the market

Thats actually debatable. Although popular opinion is that he refused to promote kids buying cigaretts to obtain his cards, a lesser known and more likely opinion is that he simply wanted more money from ATC. What is speculated is less than 200 actually made there way in to packs, but the quantity actually made is unknown.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
jeff550 said:
in 2109, thoes 1/1 might be worth more then we think ;)

:D Yeah, but I doubt it, he was a good player too, I think the Jeter/Mantle/Bush Platinum border will be worth a lot, or Stras Super, or those Alex Gordons!

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
There are a lot more 1/1s today, but when you think about actual numbers they aren't very rare. I thing in 2008 Topps Sterling nolan ryan had almost 200 different 1/1s in 1 set.

Each card may be incredibly rare, but there are 100's that are very very similar.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
bouwob said:
There are a lot more 1/1s today, but when you think about actual numbers they aren't very rare. I thing in 2008 Topps Sterling nolan ryan had almost 200 different 1/1s in 1 set.

Each card may be incredibly rare, but there are 100's that are very very similar.

I see where you are going, but lets pick a lesser 1/1 set... Maybe the wood cards in A & G, or like platinum topps, good players should sell for millions???

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
bouwob said:

Alright I see what youre saying now... but still... MILLIONs???

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
techboy42004 said:
bouwob said:

I see where you are going, but lets pick a lesser 1/1 set... Maybe the wood cards in A & G, or like platinum topps, good players should sell for millions???

Thats assuming the interest was the same. The average non collector does not care about or likely even know what a ginter wood is. Where as most non collectors have some idea about the wagner.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Isn't the Wagner that's floating around that Gretzky bought back in the 80's and recently sold for 2.5MIL the only one known to exist?

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Many reasons.

1. It was the first "uncirculated", or "error" card to ever exist. These cards were never meant to be distributed to the public but a limited number of them made it out alive. Just like the black box Witt, the Billy Ripken white out, etc. This card was never supposed to exist, but somehow it made it to the open market.

2. Honus Wagner is a baseball legend. He was one of the best of his era. Combined with the rarity of this card, that does quite a bit for the value.

3. This card has become iconic and representative of the most instantly recognizable card to the average person. This combined with the relative rarity over cards like the '52 Mantle make it a highly sought after item.

4. Status symbol. The card that is most commonly talked about is the copy that has been owned by several famous people. Gretzky being one of them. The provenance, so to speak, is very intriguing to free spenders.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
wagner was the original barry bonds when it came to marketing and getting paid, the romantic story about tobacco is just a story, amazing set, and ultra rare card of a great player...

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
wagner was the original barry bonds when it came to marketing and getting paid, the romantic story about tobacco is just a story, amazing set, and ultra rare card of a great player...

The original story is so buried in lore that its impossible to extract the real story. The truth is that we'll never ever know why exactly he didn't want to be on that card. Anybody claiming otherwise is either 150 years of age and reputable or simply guessing.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Vagrant said:
1995BBRefractorGuy said:

The original story is so buried in lore that its impossible to extract the real story. The truth is that we'll never ever know why exactly he didn't want to be on that card. Anybody claiming otherwise is either 150 years of age and reputable or simply guessing.

+1

There are a few stories about what happened. Some historians have even pointed out that Wagner used chewing tobacco and appeared on boxes of cigars back in the day.

Members online

Latest posts