Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Haven't collected in ten years - what is going on?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm sure you've heard people like me before. I'm new to the boards looking to trade my 90's cards for other 90's cards or players I collect.

I went to the baseball transactions forum and man, this place is hoppin'! What really shocked me is how cheap people are selling stuff like autos, GU, low-serial numbereds, etc. Often a combination of the three!

Is the market just so flooded with these that they are rendered nearly worthless? How is it even worth opening a pack, let alone a box or case, when you can buy rare singles for rock bottom prices?

Will someone please help me get with the times and explain the state of the hobby?

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
There are others more qualified than me to aptly explain the state of the hobby as it is now. I'll just say welcome :D . I got back into collecting a few years ago myself after mostly collecting as a kid in the 90s. A lot has changed, do some reading before buying or you'll end up with stuff you think is a good deal, but really isn't and you'll wish you could get rid of it later. There is still a lot to enjoy.

Eric

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
There's this thing called the Internet now, it's brought collectors together, created auction sites, and just generally made finding the rarer cards much, much easier. I think it's just a fad though so things should be back to normal pretty soon.

But seriously, 15 major changes since the mid-90's

1) Companies realized they were pumping out too much sheer quantity. They cut back their print runs significantly
2) Rise of game-used and autos took over inserts and parallels as the "must have" cards
3) Pack prices rose to accommodate the nicer stuff being put into them and better production values. High pack prices drove kids away but appealed to older collectors, especially those with a gambling mentality
4) eBay and other online outlets made finding cards a lot easier, especially hard-to-find cards
5) Brick and mortar hobby shops have had to compete with online sellers, driving down wax prices but also forcing many shops to shut their doors
6) Companies created "manufactured scarcity," i.e. low serial numbered print runs on inserts, parallels, and 1/1 cards to keep consumer interest and pray on player and set collectors
7) Bowman chrome, fueled by the Pujols auto RC in 2001, became a sensation unto itself as the must-have first year card of players, and has spawned its own cult of followers and knock-off products (Donruss Elite, Razor, etc.)
8) Vintage continues to rise, fueled by the establishment of some premium auction houses
9) Base cards are basically worthless. Many collectors just throw them out, while others lament their downfall
10) Short prints in most products give a challenge to set builders
11) Guaranteed "case hits" help move boxes being busted
12) Card companies have resorted to deliberate errors and other unannounced gimmicks to help sales (Mantle Topps error, Pie-in-the-Face Yankees, etc.)
13) Topps has a monopoly on baseball, with the only MLB license
14) The economy has softened prices across the board
15) FCB was established, bringing a new age of enlightment during the hobby's darkest hour

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
gracecollector said:
There's this thing called the Internet now, it's brought collectors together, created auction sites, and just generally made finding the rarer cards much, much easier. I think it's just a fad though so things should be back to normal pretty soon.

1) Companies realized they were pumping out too much sheer quantity. They cut back their print runs significantly
2) Rise of game-used and autos took over inserts and parallels as the "must have" cards
3) Pack prices rose to accommodate the nicer stuff being put into them and better production values. High pack prices drove kids away but appealed to older collectors, especially those with a gambling mentality
4) eBay and other online outlets made finding cards a lot easier, especially hard-to-find cards
5) Brick and mortar hobby shops have had to compete with online sellers, driving down wax prices but also forcing many shops to shut their doors
6) Companies created "manufactured scarcity," i.e. low serial numbered print runs on inserts, parallels, and 1/1 cards to keep consumer interest and pray on player and set collectors
7) Bowman chrome, fueled by the Pujols auto RC in 2001, became a sensation unto itself as the must-have first year card of players, and has spawned its own cult of followers and knock-off products (Donruss Elite, Razor, etc.)
8) Vintage continues to rise, fueled by the establishment of some premium auction houses
9) Base cards are basically worthless. Many collectors just throw them out, while others lament their downfall
12) Card companies have resorted to deliberate errors and other unannounced gimmicks to help sales (Mantle Topps error, Pie-in-the-Face Yankees, etc.)
15) FCB was established, bringing a new age of enlightment during the hobby's darkest hour

Cool - thank you! I knew 1-6 & 9 plus had heard of 13, but the rest I didn't know.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly...a lot of the stuff that used to make the hobby fun is now gone. Now all anybody cares about is the case hits and they bitch about those more times than not. But...the good thing is...if you liked collecting in the 90's...you're gonna love it now!

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
I'll add:

(#1) grading became a big deal - the better the condition, the price multiplies

(#2) the reason some autos are cheap is because they are minor & non-established players ... future HOFers usually demand a good price unless they have signed a LOT.

(#3) Certain sets became sure-fire hits ... Bowman was mentioned (2 releases a year), but also Allen & Ginter, etc.

(#4) To piggy-back #3, the volume of sets has dwindled. At it's peek, Donruss was making like 25 sets a year (or something). Now everyone usually just puts out like 5-7 good sets.

(#5) #rd cards aren't what they seem - while there might be a card #rd to 25, there is also the exact same card #rd to 100, and #rd to 500. The one #/25 is just a parrallel.

(#6) Someone mentioned prospecting - the act of buying & hoarding Minor League cards, in expectancy of their MLB debut - see Strasburg for details ...

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
gracecollector said:

Please put them in three 660 ct boxes and then in a flat rate box and send them my way
I'll pay for shipping and the boxes...

Welcome aboard RGF!
This is an awesome place just like
[youtube:1d5fcqaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys[/youtube:1d5fcqaw]

Jul 30, 2009
The reason why game used are so cheap is because they are a dime a dozen. They are a dime a dozen because collectors clamored for them and since there used to be so much competition in the hobby, each company tried to out do the other. They did this by upping the chances for those cards.

Its gotten to the point where it is nearly impossible to market a product over $3 apack without a GU card per box.

New basic inserts are dead, unless they are very low numbered. BUT short prints and super short prints ("gimmicks", etc) are alive and cooking. These super short prints can help fuel a product, just look at some of the sales for these cards in the basic $2 Topps issue.

Autos still are a huge part of most releases, but because the players are demanding more money, sometimes insane amounts, card companies have to resort to lower end stars or especially rookies/minor leaguers. That is why you see so many cheap autos out there.

The MLB monopoly is a joke. It has done nothing but raise the prices dealers (raising hand) and collectors (still raising hand) have to pay for new stuff. Because of the very low amount of new products (aka nothing special/premium priced being released), collectors need to get their fix and have been over paying for stuff like Finest and Bowman as well as previous products which tanked (2008 Threads, Elite, Razor, etc).

Lastly, it looks like 2010 is going down the same road as 2001 did, a year filled with premium, SUPER rookies. Big difference between those two years is that, outside of Bowman, there hasnt been anything too grand about this years releases. Most have been nice quality, low end products with few big finds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts