Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GERRIT COLE VS. CHRISTIAN COLON on ESPN 2 NOW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
You can really tell that the aluminum bats aren't good for Cole. I'm impressed with his overall fastball command, notably his ability to work both sides of the plate. At least early on he was doing a good job of painting the black on both sides of the plate, against righties and lefties. His changeup appears to still be his primary offspeed pitch and it's not too bad. It was pretty good when I saw him last year with USA. I wish he could develop a quality breaking pitch, his slider/cutter isn't very impressive. I fear with his mechanics and arm action he's going to have trouble staying on top of those pitches though. He looks to be losing his command now, he probably needs to work on throwing from the stretch more.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
andyduke86 said:
You can really tell that the aluminum bats aren't good for Cole. I'm impressed with his overall fastball command, notably his ability to work both sides of the plate. At least early on he was doing a good job of painting the black on both sides of the plate, against righties and lefties. His changeup appears to still be his primary offspeed pitch and it's not too bad. It was pretty good when I saw him last year with USA. I wish he could develop a quality breaking pitch, his slider/cutter isn't very impressive. I fear with his mechanics and arm action he's going to have trouble staying on top of those pitches though. He looks to be losing his command now, he probably needs to work on throwing from the stretch more.

He has no command of his slider, at least not tonight. That's what led to the big fourth inning. He HAS to develop at least an average offspeed pitch in order to be effective in the pros. Right now he looks like Homer Bailey. It gets pretty predictable when most of your pitches are heaters and you can't command the offspeed stuff. Hopefully this is just a bad night and not the normal Gerrit.

Members online