Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who will be the 1st MLB star from the screwed up 2008...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Who will be the 1st MLB star from the screwed up 2008 situation?

Many of the 2008 Draft top rookies were left without MLB cards available.

Will their USA stuff satisfy the ESPN sheep that come ba'aaing
When the time comes?

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Screwed up?

I hope the rest of the people on this board dont read that.... 2008 was the year of the innovative card manufacturer.... they had exclusives and on card autographs... and later made metal versions of those very same autographs... I heard in 2011 they will come out with a new 2008 product.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'd think Alvarez.

To me, it's like we skipped a year of having a lot of the big name draftee prospects in the card world.

Yah, that's the problem with companies that aren't established buying exclusives.

For the most part, I collect Bowman Chrome because I know Bowman Chrome will be around next year. It's easy to follow and even easier to properly value. If I think player A is better than player B, I look at the prices of the chrome and compare them.

Unfortunately when companies come in and decide to make a splash without dealing with the financials, it ruins it.

How does one evaluate a no-name autoed rookie card? Is it even worth more than a PSA authenticated autograph? The name itself adds little to no value.

At least with Tristar, you were able to guess what they'd sell for in the future.

If you weren't able to sustain the brand you shouldn't have went balls to the wall with prospects.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
In the past, someone would post a picture of someone beating a dead horse.

In the past, someone would guestimate the number of posts a thread like this thread was going to generate.

However, I'd venture to guess no one cares at this point. :lol:

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
pigskincardboard said:
I think Matusz goes on a big-time run.

I don't know if he commands re-donkulous prices but I'd go there.

When he made debut, USA was route to go

Same MIGHT be true when Pedro A, Wallace gets call

Maybe guys like Odorizzi (no BDP auto just base), Casey Kelly, Westmoreland (if healed)?

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
pigskincardboard said:
I think Matusz goes on a big-time run.

I don't know if he commands re-donkulous prices but I'd go there.

When he made debut, USA was route to go

Same MIGHT be true when Pedro A, Wallace gets call

Maybe guys like Odorizzi, Casey Kelly, Westmoreland (if healed)?
Odorizzi has a Bowman Draft card so he is irrelevant in this thread IMO.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Pedro Alvarez will be the first, and the biggest, and the one with real staying power.

So then the question becomes, do you want his non MLB liscensed 2008 auto or his earlier 2007 USA Auto?

To me the choice is obvious.

USA! USA! USA!

USA.jpg

Members online

No members online now.