Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Comparison of 2005 Draft 1st rd hitters..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I thought it might be interesting to look at the performances so far this year of one of the best draft classes ever. The results definitely are surprising..I tried to format, but it didnt come out well.

Justin Upton 23 in Aug (1st) - .242/.318/.424/.742 10HR 30RBI 87K 25BB 9SB

Ryan Zimmerman 26 in Sep (4th) - .306/.400/.577/.977 13HR 35RBI 38K 31BB 1SB

Ryan Braun 27 in Nov (5th) - .299/.362/.502/.864 10HR 44RBI 26K 24BB 11SB

Troy Tulowitzki 26 in Oct (7th) - .307/.373/.489/.862 8HR 32RBI 39K 24BB 7SB

Cameron Maybin 23 -Apr- (10th)- .225/.290/.341/.631 5HR 19RBI 56K 14BB 6SB

Andrew McCutchen 24 Oct (11th)- .307/.374/.475/.848 7HR 19RBI 40K 25BB 14SB

Jay Bruce 23 -Apr- (12th)- .272/.354/.474/.828 9HR 29RBI 55K 29BB 5SB

Colby Rasmus 24 in Aug (28th) - .293/.399/.582/.981 12HR 32RBI 61K 32BB 8SB

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
Without delving into the numbers too much, it's striking how much the college guys (Braun, Zimmerman, and Tulowitzki) are dominating the high school ones (Though Rasmus & McCutchen are performing well).

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Casey2884 said:
Without delving into the numbers too much, it's striking how much the college guys (Braun, Zimmerman, and Tulowitzki) are dominating the high school ones (Though Rasmus & McCutchen are performing well).

Ehh..I dont really get that by looking at those numbers. Yes, Zimmy has the best numbers, but Rasmus is 2nd and McCutchen is probably just ahead of Tulo for 3rd. Braun and Bruce basically have the same stats (minus RBIs since Braun hits in the top half and Bruce in the bottom half). Given the 3-4 extra years that the college guys have on the HSers, I think the performance of the HS school guys as a whole is more impressive.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Well Maybin looks like the tools bust, while Justin Upton is going Andruw Jones 2007 on us.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
darocker80 said:
A few days ago (last time i checked) zimmerman was leading the NL (or MLB forgot) in ops

Zimmy is currently 8th in MLB in OPS and 3rd in NL (Ethier and Rasmus)

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
Casey2884 said:

Ehh..I dont really get that by looking at those numbers. Yes, Zimmy has the best numbers, but Rasmus is 2nd and McCutchen is probably just ahead of Tulo for 3rd. Braun and Bruce basically have the same stats (minus RBIs since Braun hits in the top half and Bruce in the bottom half). Given the 3-4 extra years that the college guys have on the HSers, I think the performance of the HS school guys as a whole is more impressive.

Sorry, but what? Jay Bruce has more than 2x as many K's, 6 less SB's, way less RBI's, and he's hitting nearly 30 points lower. How is that "basically the same stats"?

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
Jays_Cards said:
Casey2884 said:

Bruce's numbers are inferior to Braun's by every measure ... I am not sure what you mean "basically have the same stats" and then qualify it by addressing the huge RBI difference ... not to mention the massive K:BB difference?

EDIT: Ian beat me!

I would rank the numbers:

1) Zim
2) Rasmus
3) Braun
4) Tulo
5) McCutch
6) Bruce
7) Upton
8) Maybin

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Ian Stewart said:
[quote="Jays_Cards":3f35ufcq]
Casey2884 said:

Sorry, but what? Jay Bruce has more than 2x as many K's, 6 less SB's, way less RBI's, and he's hitting nearly 30 points lower. How is that "basically the same stats"?[/quote:3f35ufcq]

I didnt say they were even, I implied they were similar. Almost identical OBP and HR numbers. Obviously Braun is going to have more RBIs..He hits 3rd in front of Prince. Bruce hits 5th/6th ahead of scrubs and behind Gomes (who leads the league in RBI). BA is the least meaningful stat posted, but the SOs are very disconcerting for Bruce..Overall, I prefer Bruce's stats at 23 over Braun's at nearly 27.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It is important to keep age in mind. The college guys are all approaching their primes and therefore should be doing better. That said, to say that the high school guys have close to the same numbers as the college guys is to ignore the fact that guys like Zim, Braun and Tulo have done it already for a few seasons.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
It is important to keep age in mind. The college guys are all approaching their primes and therefore should be doing better. That said, to say that the high school guys have close to the same numbers as the college guys is to ignore the fact that guys like Zim, Braun and Tulo have done it already for a few seasons.

That is obviously not taken into consideration in this comparison, but is extremely relevant in a true comparison of the players in question. There is no doubt that the college guys have accomplished much more in their careers, but I wanted to compare stats so far this year only.

Members online

Latest posts