Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Allen & Ginter discussion - Strasburg update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Figured I'd throw a thread up to discuss all things Allen & Ginter before the release!

It's been revealed the Strasburg will have an auto and a mini card in the set according to Topps twitter account.

I was confused as there are 350 cards in the base set and 350 cards in the mini set. It wouldn't make sense to have a base card and not a base card mini as the set wouldn't work with 350 players. It has been rumored that the Strasburg mini would be a rip exclusive and that would be the only way for it to work.

I just tweeted topps to figure out if it was a rip exclusive or just a regular base mini, here are the responses.

toppscards @frzg It's a mini base.
toppscards @frzg The mini base card will be 351.

www.twitter.com/toppscards

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I ordered 4 cases yesterday hoping that Strasburg will have a base card of some sort in the set and I'm absolutely thrilled now. I think it would have really benefited the auto section, but it would have hurt the base set.

This will be a very interesting year for Allen & Ginter for 2 reasons.

1. This is the first year where a huge rookie is included so the set collectors will be fighting with Strasburg mania, further inflating the price.
2. More Allen & Ginter will be busted than ever before as the Strasburg auto is a redemption, so case prices will not have a long term future as the best hit in the whole set will eventually expire.

How does Strasburg being #351 base mini effect how you view the set?

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I'd have to imagine that they'd give his mini every single parallel. This set is designed for set collectors, can't imagine they would short change them like that!

I was bummed originally when I heard Strasburg was a mini as I thought it would only be in a rip card. Rip card values would increase, but the set, not so much.

I am absolutely stoked now that he is in the base mini set. And I'm really hoping they don't make a ridiculously short printed like 1 per case. I can't imagine that this would happen though in a set collectors set.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I don't get it....

Stras will have a mini, so? You might pull like 1 a case if hitting it is the same odds as the regular minis. It will probably sell well, but again will be a tough pull and probably doesn't justify the higher case prices. I see the mini getting like $100. I see the auto being super SP'ed to less than like 300 copies wich means it will be like in every 300 boxes.

While the Stras hype is cool and all, its pushing these cases higher while the odds of actually hitting these cards doesn't look good...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
bmc398 said:
I don't get it....

Stras will have a mini, so? You might pull like 1 a case if hitting it is the same odds as the regular minis. It will probably sell well, but again will be a tough pull and probably doesn't justify the higher case prices. I see the mini getting like $100. I see the auto being super SP'ed to less than like 300 copies wich means it will be like in every 300 boxes.

While the Stras hype is cool and all, its pushing these cases higher while the odds of actually hitting these cards doesn't look good...
If the auto is "super SPed", it'll be more like /49 or less.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
frzg said:
I'd have to imagine that they'd give his mini every single parallel. This set is designed for set collectors, can't imagine they would short change them like that!

I was bummed originally when I heard Strasburg was a mini as I thought it would only be in a rip card. Rip card values would increase, but the set, not so much.

I am absolutely stoked now that he is in the base mini set. And I'm really hoping they don't make a ridiculously short printed like 1 per case. I can't imagine that this would happen though in a set collectors set.

If they have 1/1 wood card of him, that could be most expensive card every put into ginter.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
chashawk said:
bmc398 said:
I don't get it....

If the auto is "super SPed", it'll be more like /49 or less.

Yeah, but for a product like this they will want people actually pulling it, but having it limited enough that it still commands some good value. Super SP'ed would be about /49....but considering how much of this they make every year, even at /300 it will be a really really tough pull.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matchpenalty said:
frzg said:

If they have 1/1 wood card of him, that could be most expensive card every put into ginter.
Pretty sure there has been a George Washington and/or Abe Lincoln cut in Ginter before.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Since cases started picking up steam in the last few weeks, prices have gone from about $75-78 per box to $95+. Does Strasburg's inclusion really make this product worth breaking for people buying in at $99 per?

bmc398

May 25, 2009
rico08 said:
Since cases started picking up steam in the last few weeks, prices have gone from about $75-78 per box to $95+. Does Strasburg's inclusion really make this product worth breaking for people buying in at $99 per?
Whats funny is that this has been the antithesis of a chase product since it came out in 2006. Now with Stras....everybody is going to be buying to hit that longshot mini or auto. I don't get it...

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I can't imagine they would make the base mini extremely SP as set collectors would hate it.

But right now as it stands, if it is not an SP base mini and just a regular base mini, there are 351 cards in the set.

1 mini per pack
24 minis per box
288 minis per case.

1 mini Strasburg in every 1.21 cases.
1 mini Strasburg in every 14.625 boxes.

In the past 1-350 were base and mini exclusive's started at 351.

Hopefully the information topps is releasing is correct and the Strasburg mini is not a rip exclusive.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Doesn't it kind of depend upon how much the card would sell for? Seems that it would easily sell for more than 17 bucks given precedent.

rico08 said:

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
bmc398 said:
rico08 said:
Whats funny is that this has been the antithesis of a chase product since it came out in 2006. Now with Stras....everybody is going to be buying to hit that longshot mini or auto. I don't get it...

See, I think what makes A&G interesting to case breakers is the fact that there is already a huge, built-in fan base for the majority of the hits in the product.

Still, I wonder how many people bought and opened 2010 Bowman solely for Strasburg. A&G may be no different.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
rico08 said:
bmc398 said:
rico08 said:

See, I think what makes A&G interesting to case breakers is the fact that there is already a huge, built-in fan base for the majority of the hits in the product.

Still, I wonder how many people bought and opened 2010 Bowman solely for Strasburg. A&G may be no different.
It made no sense to me to buy a $300 Jumbo box when even if you got a base AND chrome Strasburg to sell you only made like $50 back. Sure, there were the lottery ticket hits but the Stras auto chasers probably weren't using logic at the $250 and above price point.

I really think blowout could jack up boxes to $1000 each tomorrow and there would still be buyers at that price.

Sure, its good to have attention in the hobby....but now the high prices and no new products is kind of pissing me off.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
bmc398 said:
rico08 said:
bmc398 said:
rico08 said:

It made no sense to me to buy a $300 Jumbo box when even if you got a base AND chrome Strasburg to sell you only made like $50 back. Sure, there were the lottery ticket hits but the Stras auto chasers probably weren't using logic at the $250 and above price point.

I really think blowout could jack up boxes to $1000 each tomorrow and there would still be buyers at that price.

Sure, its good to have attention in the hobby....but now the high prices and no new products is kind of pissing me off.
QFT

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I could see a similar effect with Allen and Ginter that Bowman has.

Based off the hype and lack of regular base card for Strasburg, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Strasburg mini selling for over $100. Which in turn will lead to people buying boxes to bust in hopes of finding a Strasburg, which like bowman, increases the price of the box/case.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Topps SHOULD NOT treat Strasburg like Upper Deck would. Have his base cards as plentiful as everyone else.

Allen

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
wow Pujols just signed cards for 2010 Ginter, he hasn't had an auto in a year or so and hasn't had
an auto in a cheap pack of cards since 2007. very nice!

Kevin

Members online

Latest posts