Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Expanded Season, D-League, Old IR Rules all in 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -earliest/

The possibility of an "enhanced" 18-game NFL regular season will likely create other changes to the league's structure.

One possibility, according to Packers President Mark Murphy, would be the start of a developmental league. A minor league (the UFL?) would theoretically help replace the two lost preseason games as a method to improve young players.

Murphy also says -- via Bob Glauber's busy Twitter account -- that the league could consider returning to old injured reserve rules, in which players weren't automatically ruled out for the season.

It's interesting that the push for the new season is such a priority to the owners, but nothing will change before 2012. Murphy also confirmed the NFL would not create an 18-game regular season without an agreement from the NFLPA.

Yeah, this could take a while.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
I would love a d-league as it would help with players who are system QB's catch up to the nfl game. Players like LeFevour who prob wont see the time of day in a NFL game for years if ever would be able to continue to develop an learn how to play against better players.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
t3dudek said:
I would love a d-league as it would help with players who are system QB's catch up to the nfl game. Players like LeFevour who prob wont see the time of day in a NFL game for years if ever would be able to continue to develop an learn how to play against better players.
If Cutler has another 20+ int season or gets hurt Danny Boy will be the 1st one of the backups to play.

But i do agree about a D-league i think it would be a great idea for the NFL.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
D-League = Great idea.

Not sure I like the expanded schedule.....don't think it's in the players best interest, I mean it's tough enough to make it through a 16 game season, much less adding two games - and playoff teams could be going 20+ games. Winning a Super Bowl could become a battle of attrition and even more then it already is, simply who can stay fresh and healthy.

Could also create even more problems when it comes to teams clinching early and resting players. Their in a pretty good place at 16 games where a majority of teams are still in it towards the end. 18 may effect that and really screw over teams in a position like the Colts last year. Probably have even more teams playing games that mean nothing the last couple weeks.

The final thing that bothers me about it - and it may be trite- but not sure how I feel about the fact that an expanded season will probably make all past records worthless. I know football era's are harder to compare, and the numbers aren't as storied as baseball's, but it will be a little odd to see 2,000 yd rushing, 5,000 passing seasons every year, etc.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
rymflaherty said:
D-League = Great idea.

Not sure I like the expanded schedule.....don't think it's in the players best interest, I mean it's tough enough to make it through a 16 game season, much less adding two games - and playoff teams could be going 20+ games. Winning a Super Bowl could become a battle of attrition and even more then it already is, simply who can stay fresh and healthy.

Could also create even more problems when it comes to teams clinching early and resting players. Their in a pretty good place at 16 games where a majority of teams are still in it towards the end. 18 may effect that and really screw over teams in a position like the Colts last year. Probably have even more teams playing games that mean nothing the last couple weeks.

The final thing that bothers me about it - and it may be trite- but not sure how I feel about the fact that an expanded season will probably make all past records worthless. I know football era's are harder to compare, and the numbers aren't as storied as baseball's, but it will be a little odd to see 2,000 yd rushing, 5,000 passing seasons every year, etc.

LOL...some of us are old enough to remember a 14 game NFL season. :lol:

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Daltonb1219 said:
t3dudek said:
If Cutler has another 20+ int season or gets hurt Danny Boy will be the 1st one of the backups to play.

Cutler probably will throw 20 picks this season, but he is not losing his job! In Mike Martz system, most QBs will throw alot of picks, but they also throw for 30 + TDS, and 4000 plus yds. I think Cutler will be the most talented QB he has ever worked with, and his numbers will be HUGE this season.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
bodiaz said:
Daltonb1219 said:
t3dudek said:

Cutler probably will throw 20 picks this season, but he is not losing his job! In Mike Martz system, most QBs will throw alot of picks, but they also throw for 30 + TDS, and 4000 plus yds. I think Cutler will be the most talented QB he has ever worked with, and his numbers will be HUGE this season.
I think Kurt Warner is/will still be the greatest QB in a Martz system. Time will tell though.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Card Magnet said:
bodiaz said:
Daltonb1219 said:
t3dudek said:

I think Kurt Warner is/will still be the greatest QB in a Martz system. Time will tell though.
I agree

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
bodiaz said:
Daltonb1219 said:
t3dudek said:

I think Cutler has the potential and the physical gifts to be the best but his decision making must improve.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
rymflaherty said:
D-League = Great idea.

I like the D-League idea but I share the same concerns.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
[/quote] LOL...some of us are old enough to remember a 14 game NFL season. :lol:[/quote]

:lol:

Guess that's why the stats/records thing shouldn't irk me that much..they've changed it before and the game is always developing and changing. I'm not all that young, but a 16 game season is all I've ever known......so just will take a little getting used to if they do switch things up.

Members online

Latest posts