Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Update on Razor Signees in 2010 Bowman Chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
A well written, impartial article. Interesting, as well.

I don't mean to pile on, but it was pretty obvious that the contracts would lose significant value after the first year of product was printed. The second and third year would have little value (even less value after Razor stopped producing baseball cards) in comparison to the first, and the first would have a nice, temporary, price spike after the player hit the majors before his first chrome card came out.

Numerous people expressed concern -- specifically and ironically between UD and RAZOR and rumors about UD getting the ability to utilize the contracts... now with Razor potentially selling the contracts which would eliminate that price spike (after all, when the player hits the majors, would the casual buyer want the 2010 Bow Chrome auto or the 2008 Razor Metal auto? I think that's pretty obvious), it looks as though the Razor investors are getting one final kick in the junk.

While I don't blame Razor for selling -- the asset has value to Topps and the players and very little to Razor -- one has to really wonder if Razor's continued mantra of creating a product for the collector was truly taken to heart.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Dude, the blue font is really really really hard to read on that background.

Sorry about that, when I write it I see a white background so it didn't stand out to me. When I went to read it, my eyes started twitching. I hope your eyes have stopped burning, I changed the color to something easier to read.

Jeff N. said:
A well written, impartial article. Interesting, as well.

I don't mean to pile on, but it was pretty obvious that the contracts would lose significant value after the first year of product was printed. The second and third year would have little value (even less value after Razor stopped producing baseball cards) in comparison to the first, and the first would have a nice, temporary, price spike after the player hit the majors before his first chrome card came out.

Numerous people expressed concern -- specifically and ironically between UD and RAZOR and rumors about UD getting the ability to utilize the contracts... now with Razor potentially selling the contracts which would eliminate that price spike (after all, when the player hits the majors, would the casual buyer want the 2010 Bow Chrome auto or the 2008 Razor Metal auto? I think that's pretty obvious), it looks as though the Razor investors are getting one final kick in the junk.

While I don't blame Razor for selling -- the asset has value to Topps and the players and very little to Razor -- one has to really wonder if Razor's continued mantra of creating a product for the collector was truly taken to heart.

Jeff, thanks for the comment and I agree on your comments.

I would note - the contracts aren't sold yet but the fact that it is out there for consideration as a possibility is a dramatic change from what we've heard previously. AND if you a Razor investor, that is a move in the wrong direction, potentially.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:
It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

Except the owners of Razor cards, errr, uhh, I mean collectors.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The only contract I care about is Jordan Lyles...everyone else can get excited for career .250 hitters like Tim Beckham having an autograph in some 2010 product.

Regardless, I still like the Lyles I have from Razor and I will continue to enjoy them.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":3q71dude]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

Happy prospecting! :eek:[/quote:3q71dude]

You owe me a keyboard

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:
[quote="Jeff N.":1jk11pbc]
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":1jk11pbc]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

Happy prospecting! :eek:[/quote:1jk11pbc]

You owe me a keyboard[/quote:1jk11pbc]

Did the water you were drinking cause it to short? :)

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
masonphillip said:
All In Cards said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2z4835q1]
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":2z4835q1]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

Happy prospecting! :eek:

You owe me a keyboard[/quote:2z4835q1]

Did the water you were drinking cause it to short? :)[/quote:2z4835q1]

coffee, at least it was not koolaid

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":j10vnkol][quote="Jeff N.":j10vnkol]
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":j10vnkol]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

You owe me a keyboard[/quote:j10vnkol]

Did the water you were drinking cause it to short? :)[/quote:j10vnkol]

coffee, at least it was not koolaid[/quote:j10vnkol]

Lol, well played sir on the koolaid.

One does wonder with these sorts of developments if the Razor Baseball Brand (Army All America and their other offerings are much better) isn't headed for this kind of destiny - [phil:j10vnkol]270594321804[/phil:j10vnkol] - I'm exaggerating, a little.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
All In Cards said:
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":3chf30in][quote="Jeff N.":3chf30in]
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":3chf30in]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

You owe me a keyboard[/quote:3chf30in]

Did the water you were drinking cause it to short? :)[/quote:3chf30in]

coffee, at least it was not koolaid[/quote:3chf30in]

Most people stopped drinking it a while ago.

:mrgreen:

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Now it makes more sense why the product is releasing in October, so Topps has time to include several of the expected call-ups.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
masonphillip said:
All In Cards said:
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":1vlzp0hi][quote="Jeff N.":1vlzp0hi]
masonphillip said:
[quote="All In Cards":1vlzp0hi]It would be a smart on BG's part to sell the dead inventory. Either let the player buy out or make your competition buy from you. Either way its a plus plus for everyone.

You owe me a keyboard

Did the water you were drinking cause it to short? :)[/quote:1vlzp0hi]

coffee, at least it was not koolaid[/quote:1vlzp0hi]

Lol, well played sir on the koolaid.

One does wonder with these sorts of developments if the Razor Baseball Brand (Army All America and their other offerings are much better) isn't headed for this kind of destiny - [phil:1vlzp0hi]270594321804[/phil:1vlzp0hi] - I'm exaggerating, a little.[/quote:1vlzp0hi]

Sportflics are worthless - and that's because of the overproduction of the 80s. Razor was limited - I don't think anyone's going to find 30 individual cards of a card serially #ed to 25, or 8 of serial 5'ed card, and autographed -- the autograph will give it some value. Tristar and Just autographs have some value. Not nearly as much, but some. As such, I see that being it's niche. . . a highly touted, fancy, Just/Tristar. With less overall consumer satisfaction.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
Now it makes more sense why the product is releasing in October, so Topps has time to include several of the expected call-ups.

Absolutely true.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
While the article written by Phillip said about all I can say at this time, I can confirm a legal letter was sent to Topps today for attempting to induce players under contract to breach. THESE PLAYERS HAVE NOT AGREED TO DO THIS PRODUCT. ANY REPRESENTATION AS SUCH IS FALSE, MISLEADING AND FRAUDULENT.

With that being said, it is now the 3rd year after production of our baseball release. The landscape of the prospect market has been turned on its ear by MLB. By granting Topps the minor league license, pure prospect products have been dealt a blow. The market for that sort of product has decreased for companies other than Topps. This has been a major factor in our absence from the prospect market. As business people, we have to make the best choices we can given an everchanging marketplace with everchanging rules.

Given the changes in the market (both from licensing and world economy impacts), we would be foolish not to explore what possibilities exist.

Just wanted to chime in briefly. We will share more info if/when it becomes available.
BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts