Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Off-Season Trade and Free Agent Signings Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
starting this off with a real shocker

:eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock:

TSN is reporting the Montreal Canadiens have traded G Jaroslav Halak to the St Louis Blues for D Lars Eller and F Ian Schultz. I am not really sure why they would make this trade. Halak definitely proved this Playoff season why he was the starting goalie for the Habs by beating the Caps and the Pens. both Halak and Carey Price are restricted free agents and it was likely the Habs would only resign one of them but I really thought it would be Halak. I would imagine Price will now sign a lengthy new contract. I said in the past I think Price can be an elite goaltender but I really think he needs a change of scenery.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324934

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Canadiens trade Jaroslav Halak to the St Louis Blues

Wow!! That's surprising. Only thing I can think is that:

1. Halak would probably command a bit more money now
2. With Halak's performance in the layoffs, they could get more in return

I figured Price's time in Montreal was done after last season, especially when everyone was questioning whether the heat of playing in Montreal was getting to him...

...on another note, should we start an official "off-season transactions/Free Agency thread"???

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I'm glad I am not the only one surprised by this move.

oh yeah I officially changed the title of the thread.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
OMG!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stunner and a head scratcher. Its gonna be very strange to see Halak in a Blues jersey :eek: :shock:

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Sorry to all of you investing in Halak cards. St. Louis is a value killer.

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
I really don't know enough about the players in return, but to me it doesn't sound like they received a lot in this trade. I'm assuming something behind the scenes must have happened and Halak may have wanted to be a #1 and not to share time with Price behind him. The Blues already have Chris Mason too, so not really sure how this trade affects them?

Anyways, wonder if Carey's cards now go up again. They were down, but were still much higher than Halak's.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
adamcm said:
I really don't know enough about the players in return, but to me it doesn't sound like they received a lot in this trade. I'm assuming something behind the scenes must have happened and Halak may have wanted to be a #1 and not to share time with Price behind him. The Blues already have Chris Mason too, so not really sure how this trade affects them?

Anyways, wonder if Carey's cards now go up again. They were down, but were still much higher than Halak's.

I believe Mason's a Free Agent, so I'm sure they'll let him go. Looks like they've got Conklin under contract through 2010-11, so I'm sure he'll stick around as the back-up.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Sly said:
adamcm said:

I believe Mason's a Free Agent, so I'm sure they'll let him go. Looks like they've got Conklin under contract through 2010-11, so I'm sure he'll stick around as the back-up.

Chris Mason is a free agent and Conklin will be Halak's backup.

I would imagine once the Canadiens sign Price his cards will start to shoot back up.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
adamcm said:
I really don't know enough about the players in return, but to me it doesn't sound like they received a lot in this trade.

One of the players that was traded for Halak is in your sig and you have a card of him ;) . I didn't realize who was traded for Halak until just recently tonight. Ian Schultz (The only Hitmen lying on the ice) has played with the Hitmen the last 4 years. He was a 3rd rounder but im telling you i haven't seen many players that give it all every shift and have so much heart as Ian Schultz. Montreal is getting a really tough, good old fashioned Hockey player in Schultzy.

Lars Eller must have some talent as well as he was drafted #13 overall 3 years ago by St Louis. He played in the AHL last year and had 18 goals, 59 points in 70 games.

19.png

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Jason Arnott sent to NJ for Matt Halischuk and a 2nd Rounder in 2011...

joelmcook

Aug 1, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Have the Canadians even re-signed Price yet because with the draft coming up maybe there looking to make a move to get another top notch prospect in the net. As far as Halak going to the Blues it is only going to make them a really tough team. When Conklin was on Detroit he played excellent goal behind Osgood and put up the number to earn the contract he is in now, which with Halak the Blue should be able to post alot of wins.

PhillyPuckNut

Feb 10, 2010
Live from an undisclosed location
joelmcook said:
Have the Canadians even re-signed Price yet because with the draft coming up maybe there looking to make a move to get another top notch prospect in the net. As far as Halak going to the Blues it is only going to make them a really tough team. When Conklin was on Detroit he played excellent goal behind Osgood and put up the number to earn the contract he is in now, which with Halak the Blue should be able to post alot of wins.
From what I know, Price hasn't been resigned yet. He's an RFA just like Halak was.

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
The Halak trade was interesting, but goaltenders (even good, young ones) have never gotten the trade value one would think they deserve. I think the Habs got a great player in Eller, but the biggest question is whether they made the right decision to keep Price. That's more important than what they got in return.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
PhillyPuckNut said:
joelmcook said:
From what I know, Price hasn't been resigned yet. He's an RFA just like Halak was.

correct Price is an RFA and he will without a doubt be resigned but there is no rush for the Habs to sign him right now.

Conklin proved with the Penguins that he is a top notch backup goalie. I think the Blues will have an outstanding two goalie system next season that can definitely carry them into the Playoffs.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Devils acquire Jason Arnott from the Predators for Matt Halischuk and a 2nd-Round Pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts