Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I at fault here? (Ebay related)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
I recently had an auction up for some non-sports card starter decks. I had 2 decks and the picture was of 2. I listed the item on Ebay as a $34.99 BIN or Best Offer with a quantity of 2. Someone offered me $20 for one, I accepted, then a day later he offered me 15 for the other and I declined. I send him the one he won, he received it, then sent me a message saying:

i thought i was buying both starter deck packages
i guess its my fault for not reading properly but dont put both in the picture if your only selling one please it confused me

Your opinion?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Watt said:
I recently had an auction up for some non-sports card starter decks. I had 2 decks and the picture was of 2. I listed the item on Ebay as a $39.99 BIN or Best Offer with a quantity of 2. Someone offered me $20 for one, I accepted, then a day later he offered me 15 for the other and I declined. I send him the one he won, he received it, then sent me a message saying "I thought I was getting both decks, I should have read more clearly but you shouldn't have put both decks in the picture".

Your opinion?

Link ?

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
prob should have relisted it with just one for the bin of 20 to cover on your end. I think ebay can check the emails you guys sent and see if he offered 20 for just one. if he clearly offered 20 for one in a message i think you should be o.k.

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
Watt said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220617483512&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Me saying "I have two for sale" is probably what threw him off but I figured listing the item with a quantity of 2 would be good. At least now I know never to include that again in an auction like this.

I think your auction is fine. If you have 2 quantity your saying your have both in your pic available so maybe he or she just read it to quickly.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Watt said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220617483512&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Me saying "I have two for sale" is probably what threw him off but I figured listing the item with a quantity of 2 would be good. At least now I know never to include that again in an auction like this.
If you had them up as more then one available then he said he want one and one only but id he offered you 20 for each then his invoice should have been for 40 plus shipping. So you good if you ask me, and he even admitted he should have read the listing.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
This is the biggest problem with Ebay, and America in general.

Stupid people aren't scorned or punished, they're rewarded.

One of two things happened. He doesn't know how Ebay works...his fault. Or he didn't read the auction...again his fault. But since buyers can do no wrong on Ebay...it's your fault. Regardless of whether on not you did anything wrong.

I'd personally tell him to go stick his head in a wood chipper for the good of humanity...but you might get in trouble

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I really dislike trying to put blame coming from a uninvolved third party, but will say this.

As a seller, unless you are making every effort to keep your buyer(s) happy, in a clear and kind mannor, then yes. Your at fault.

Ofcourse, there will be times when this may not be a option, but this does not seem to be one of thoes cases. Try not to listen to thoes who will chime in and say "stupid buyer, ect... Blah, blah, blah..) It's your sellers account and reputation on the line, not theirs. Do the right thing!

My reply would have been:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I have listed item(s) this way many times without confusion, but seeing it has happened here I may re-think my listing habbit(s). It's my intention to keep all my customers satisfied, so I will ofcourse offer you the oppertunity to return the item for a full refund! My hope is that all of my customers are satisfied with each and every transaction, and it's my highest priority that your expierence with me is a positive one. Please let me know what you want to do, as I will refund your cost immediately after the item is returned. Thank you for your business, and I appreciate the feedback!

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
eh...don't really think you did anything "wrong". To be fair though if you did a group scan you probably could have been a bit clearer. And now that there is no longer a quantity of 2 up, I'd probably write a more concise description so someone doesn't just hit the BIN on the one up now thinking they'll get 2.
If there was some confusion before......right now as the auction stands it really looks like you may be getting both sets for $34.99.

Not sure how ebay would rule if a claim was opened. "I have two for sale" - you'd assume as a buyer accounts for the quantity 2, but from what I've seen Ebay doesn't side with assumptions. I'd probably just accept the return if the buyer wasn't being a jerk.....chalk it up as one of those "live and learn" deals.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
matfanofold said:
I really dislike trying to put blame coming from a uninvolved third party, but will say this.

As a seller, unless you are making every effort to keep your buyer(s) happy, in a clear and kind mannor, then yes. Your at fault.

Ofcourse, there will be times when this may not be a option, but this does not seem to be one of thoes cases. Try not to listen to thoes who will chime in and say "stupid buyer, ect... Blah, blah, blah..) It's your sellers account and reputation on the line, not theirs. Do the right thing!

My reply would have been:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I have listed item(s) this way many times without confusion, but seeing it has happened here I may re-think my listing habbit(s). It's my intention to keep all my customers satisfied, so I will ofcourse offer you the oppertunity to return the item for a full refund! My hope is that all of my customers are satisfied with each and every transaction, and it's my highest priority that your expierence with me is a positive one. Please let me know what you want to do, as I will refund your cost immediately after the item is returned. Thank you for your business, and I appreciate the feedback!

I sent him a message similar to this apologizing and saying I should have been clearer, since with the way Ebay likes to **** over sellers I really don't want a negative or bad DSRs.

Members online

Latest posts