Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should Strasburg Be Voted Into the All-Star Game?

Strasburg = All Star?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yes I know, it's only been three starts thus far, but he'll have a couple more before the AS break.

Assuming he gives everyone more of the same between now and then, should he pitch in the AS game, in your opinion?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Rizzo embraces Strasburg as All-Star

06/19/10 5:03 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Even though Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg is on an innings limit, general manager Mike Rizzo said the club would allow the right-hander to play in the All-Star Game if he was selected. The Midsummer Classic is being played in Anaheim on July 13.

Rizzo said he would not worry about how many innings Strasburg would throw in the game. After three games, Strasburg is 2-0 with a 1.86 ERA with 32 strikeouts, which is tied for third on the team behind reliever Tyler Clippard and right-hander Livan Hernandez.

"The most a pitcher would go [in the All-Star Game] is for two, three innings," Rizzo said. "Whatever they would need him to do, we would make sure that he does it because it's an honor to play in it, it's an honor to be asked. It's a way for the National League to win the game and give the National League the extra game in the World Series.

"We would be honored that he would be an All-Star and he would certainly play in the All-Star Game. I would love it. If [Phillies manager] Charlie Manuel or MLB feels he is one of the best players in the league and he should be on the All-Star team, he would earn it and deserves it. I would embrace it."

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
No, there are so many talented pitchers this year that have worked so hard the ENTIRE season. They should not get snubbed for Strasburg who would not even have 6 starts before then.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
No, there are so many talented pitchers this year that have worked so hard the ENTIRE season. They should not get snubbed for Strasburg who would not even have 6 starts before then.

Exactly. There are at least 10 starters with an ERA under 3.00 in the NL that have pitched the entire season. And when Washington's got a guy like Capps (who leads the league in saves) and then Dunn and Zimmerman who have .900+ OPS, and have played all year, Strasburg isn't even the top guy on the team who deserves an All-Star nod.

I think even a manager who is giving consideration to it needs to re-evaluate his thought process on the All-Star game and who gets in.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
The All-Star squads should showcase each league's best players, especially "since it matters."

Unfortunately, fan voting kills any such opportunity. Instead, fans should only be able to vote for Home Run Derby participants (from a list of eligible hitters). Managers still pick the pitchers, correct?

That said, Strasburg will undoubtedly be the best NL pitcher left off the team if he is indeed not selected.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
He should not be voted in.

Because pitchers cannot be voted upon, unless they make the final man vote.

Charlie Manuel can certainly TAKE Strasburg into the All Star Game.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jeff N. said:

hideki okajima was voted in via the fan vote, no?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
If the fan's vote him in then of course, why not? It's the All-Star game & as of late there hasn't been a bigger "star" than Strasburg (everytime you turn on ESPN you're likely to hear about his previous or upcoming start's)! I'm of the belief that the All-Star Game "should" be determined based on stat's & that way the player's doing the best get to experience what it's like to participate in an All-Star Game (after all they did work thier arse's off to produce stat's that are better than other's at thier given position)...."BUT" the All-Star Game lineup's are NOT decided by who's producing or who's stat's are better, they are decided as if it were a popularity contest amongst the fan's!
However bad this may suck or however unjust this system of selection may be, it is the way things are as of now & that's that! If Strasburg is voted in by the fan's then he should get to play in the AS-Game whether he's started 3 game's or 300!

Just my opinion, Dave. :D

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The All-Star game is supposedly for the fans, and no player in baseball is pushing more dials than Strasburg.

I'm a baseball fan and I don't watch the All-Star game, but I'd be curious to see an inning that Strasburg pitched against the AL's best.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Hallsgator said:
darocker80 said:
Jeff N. said:

hideki okajima was voted in via the fan vote, no?
Hello.

[quote="Jeff N.":39nnya30]

[/quote:39nnya30]
oops haha ::facepalm::

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I have an inkling he will be on the fifth man ballot, and if that is the case, we'll see him in Anaheim (and I feel sorry for the other four candidates as they have less than 0% chance of making it)

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
I have an inkling he will be on the fifth man ballot, and if that is the case, we'll see him in Anaheim (and I feel sorry for the other four candidates as they have less than 0% chance of making it)

Beat me to it. That's what I mentioned in a thread a couple days ago.....and what I really think will happen.
MLB will throw him in that last man fan ballot.....that way they can say the fans choose him and give the impression he wasn't taken over someone more deserving that played the entire first half, and still get to get him in the game and capitalize on the hype......because let's face it even if you voted no in this poll (which I did) doesn't the fan in you want to see him in there up against the AL's best?

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
come to think of it, he could be the best backup player.. there always should be a starter that has extra-innings duty.. but it sucks for a guy who worked hard all year get that role.
I guess a guy who has been good but hasnt been around all year could be justified for that.

Members online

Latest posts