Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Carlos Santana what Wieters was suppost to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Wieters has looked like Alex Gordon 2.0. Carlos Santana is looking like a future superstar. What do you guys think.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
While I still believe it's too early to throw in the towel on Wieters, he's a far cry from the All-Star caliber player that was almost guaranteed by virtually all scouts and baseball gurus.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

Let's see how Santana finishes the year, how Wieters finishes the year, most importantly, how they both do next season before we tear down the monument to one and build one for the other, on top of the site of the other. So, basically what I'm saying is, calm down.

bigmick33

Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta
its still really early to determine how wieters will turn out. hoever i do expect him to be that caliber of player that everyone thinks he can be. i think he will be a future all star and maybe a batting champ, even though its hard to tell at this moment.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I tend to give catchers a bit more time to develop, so I wouldn't go calling Wieters "Alex Gordon 2.0". Having said that, I've liked Santana over Wieters for a while now, and it looks like he's going to be something special.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Sean_C said:
I tend to give catchers a bit more time to develop, so I wouldn't go calling Wieters "Alex Gordon 2.0". Having said that, I've liked Santana over Wieters for a while now, and it looks like he's going to be something special.

I looked at Wieters, Montero, and Santana and I thought Santana by far was the best. I liked his swing a lot more than Wieters and knew the zone pretty good.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

Let's see how Santana finishes the year, how Wieters finishes the year, most importantly, how they both do next season before we tear down the monument to one and build one for the other, on top of the site of the other. So, basically what I'm saying is, calm down.

Actually Wieters started out pretty weak his first month 74 AB's 3 2b 2 HR 7 RBI's .257 .313 .378 6/18 BB/K.

Santana thus far 28 AB's 5 2b 2 HR 8 RBI's 7 BB/3 K's .393 .514 .786 1.300.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
mwashuc06 said:
Brett Keith said:

Actually Wieters started out pretty weak his first month 74 AB's 3 2b 2 HR 7 RBI's .257 .313 .378 6/18 BB/K.

I meant the entirety of his debut, from his first game to his last.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":1b6o3p1o]If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

I meant the entirety of his debut, from his first game to his last.[/quote:1b6o3p1o]

Thanks, but I like Santana's approach to hitting vs. Wieters. Every time I saw Wieters, I saw a guy whom I thought would be a solid hitter but not a Joe Mauer. Then again, I thought Tillman would be a stud. Maybe it's just the organization and maybe it's cursed.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
mwashuc06 said:
Brett Keith said:
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2g15vaqf]If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

Thanks, but I like Santana's approach to hitting vs. Wieters. Every time I saw Wieters, I saw a guy whom I thought would be a solid hitter but not a Joe Mauer. Then again, I thought Tillman would be a stud. Maybe it's just the organization and maybe it's cursed.[/quote:2g15vaqf]

I'm not trying to argue one vs. the other, I love Santana and he may very well end up being better than Wieters and it would come as no shock. I was actually a Wieters doubter till his performance was too much to deny, but I never thought Joe Mauer. I thought he could probably be a .300ish hitter with 25 or so HR and a pretty good OBP, along with solid defense.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":11vl9ex2]
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":11vl9ex2]If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

Thanks, but I like Santana's approach to hitting vs. Wieters. Every time I saw Wieters, I saw a guy whom I thought would be a solid hitter but not a Joe Mauer. Then again, I thought Tillman would be a stud. Maybe it's just the organization and maybe it's cursed.[/quote:11vl9ex2]

I'm not trying to argue one vs. the other, I love Santana and he may very well end up being better than Wieters and it would come as no shock. I was actually a Wieters doubter till his performance was too much to deny, but I never thought Joe Mauer. I thought he could probably be a .300ish hitter with 25 or so HR and a pretty good OBP, along with solid defense.[/quote:11vl9ex2]

I still remember before he was drafted, they never compared him to Teixeira but to Jason Varitek who is a good player but not a HOF/AS type player. BA started the Wieters is the next Teixeira talk. I love watching prospects in person and I can tell who will be good and who will be poor. For example, Domonic Brown I think will be able to crush low fastballs, but his swing will hamper him vs. the high stuff.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
mwashuc06 said:
Brett Keith said:
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":1d4ksiku]
mwashuc06 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":1d4ksiku]If I recall, Wieters had a pretty impressive big league debut...much like...oh, Carlos Santana maybe?

Thanks, but I like Santana's approach to hitting vs. Wieters. Every time I saw Wieters, I saw a guy whom I thought would be a solid hitter but not a Joe Mauer. Then again, I thought Tillman would be a stud. Maybe it's just the organization and maybe it's cursed.

I'm not trying to argue one vs. the other, I love Santana and he may very well end up being better than Wieters and it would come as no shock. I was actually a Wieters doubter till his performance was too much to deny, but I never thought Joe Mauer. I thought he could probably be a .300ish hitter with 25 or so HR and a pretty good OBP, along with solid defense.[/quote:1d4ksiku]

I still remember before he was drafted, they never compared him to Teixeira but to Jason Varitek who is a good player but not a HOF/AS type player. BA started the Wieters is the next Teixeira talk. I love watching prospects in person and I can tell who will be good and who will be poor. For example, Domonic Brown I think will be able to crush low fastballs, but his swing will hamper him vs. the high stuff.[/quote:1d4ksiku]

I don't think either of those comps fit though, both seem lazy. Varitek because they're both switch hitting C's from Georgia Tech, Teixeira because they're both talented switch hitters from Georgia Tech with good power. All along I think people had Wieters as having more offensive upside than Teck, but not being the slugger Teixeira is. From a purely offensive standpoint, I think a good comp would be Eddie Murray as a reasonable upside, though unlikely that Wieters would have Murray's consistency and longevity, if only because he's a catcher.

kobechromecom

Jun 18, 2010
Poor Wieters..Sure looks like Alex Gordon 2.0....poor average, low HR total...OUCHIE
I know a lot of local collectors who stocked up on him at the highest prices...I'd be a buyer of his Elite RC AUTO at like $20 lol

Latest posts