Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Boy that Cliff Lee trade worked out well for the phils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Cliff Lee- 5-3 2.55 ERA

^^^Thats good

vvvThats not

Phillippe Aumont- 1-6 7.76 ERA

Tyson Gillies- 2 hrs 6 rbis .238 avg .286 OBP

Worst trade ever???

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
RyanHowardCollector6 said:
Cliff Lee- 5-3 2.55 ERA

^^^Thats good

vvvThats not

Phillippe Aumont- 1-6 7.76 ERA

Tyson Gillies- 2 hrs 6 rbis .238 avg .286 OBP

Worst trade ever???

you forgot that Lee has 3 CG yet only 4 walks :eek:
thats just scary.

still, hes going to be on the trade block you guys could get him back...

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
yea it was a poor trade even at the time. Trading a legit Ace for a guy that profiles as an injury prone reliever and a guy that is basically a non-prospect because he has no power and was simply a product of the Cal League. Not good. Didn't understand it at the time, and obviously it looks even worse in retrospect.

Also using W-L record for a pitcher and RBI for hitters in the minor leagues is simply irrelevant. It tells you nothing about the player's ability. They're pretty useless stats for major leaguers, completely useless for minor leaguers.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
He was almost a Yankee. Yankees were going to trade Montero for lee and a lesser prospect but the Phillies wanted Montero, Vizcaino, and others.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
IDK, the one that leaps to mind for me is the Frank Robinson trade for Pappas, Baldschun, and Robinson...

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge for Adam Eaton and Aki Otsuka might be worse.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
How about Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio .... 4 other players were involved in the trade but the 2 main players were Brock and Broglio.

At the time of the trade, many observers thought the Cubs had gotten the better end of the deal. Broglio had been a top starting pitcher for half a decade, winning 18 games the year before and a career-high 21 in 1960. Brock, on the other hand, was seen as a disappointment by Cubs' management, who had hoped for better production out of the speedster than he had delivered in his first three big league seasons.

After the trade, Broglio quickly declined. During the remainder of the 1964 season, he was just 4-7. He was worse in 1965, winning just one game, losing seven, and finishing the season with an ERA of 6.93. The end of the line came in 1966: a 2-6 record, an earned run average close to 7.00, and finally, retirement at the age of 30.

Brock, on the other hand, played until 1979, and retired as a St. Louis Cardinal. He made six All Star teams, collected more than 3,000 hits, a finsihed his career with a then-record 938 stolen bases. In 1985, he was elected Baseball's Hall of Fame.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Never remember reading that.
mwashuc06 said:
He was almost a Yankee. Yankees were going to trade Montero for lee and a lesser prospect but the Phillies wanted Montero, Vizcaino, and others.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Worse trade...Larry Andersen for Jeff Bagwell.

As for Lee, I also have to add all the guys the Phils gave the Tribe to GET Lee. They've sucked so far, and that was a good trade for Philly, but I think you still have to add those guys to it too.

A couple of days ago I asked what if Lee goes to EITHER New York team? Not good...

Aug 13, 2008
T-emptive strike the John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander. Doyle Alexander went 9-0 for the Tigers (was 5-10 for the Braves) and helped lead the Tigers to win their division. So much so that Doyle was 4th for the Cy Young and 13th for MVP that year. Smoltz was so highly regarded in the Tigers organization that year is that he was the "Player to be Named Later" in that trade.

One of my votes is Ivan DeJesus to the Phillies for Larry Bowa and Ryne Sandberg.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
It's certainly not the worst trade ever. They only gave up a year of him.

It's also way to early to rate the prospects. J.C. Ramirez has pitched decently and has good stuff. I still like Aumont, I think he just needs time. What I like about Aumont is that, should he not be a starter, he will be an elite bullpen arm. Gillies has been hurt all year.

I think you also have to consider that with out the trade they would not have gotten Halladay. Everyone can argue until they are blue in the face about if they could have had both, but we have to assume they could not.

I also don't believe the Yankees rumors. Obviously that would have been a better deal, but there is very little to back it up.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
How about Schilling to AZ for ...

Travis Lee
Omar "Baby" Daal
and two other's I don't remember

Bob Abreu to NYY for ....

CJ Henry and more crap

Worst part about the second trade is that I was in the Philippines at the time and had read rumblings online of Abreu getting dealt. The Phillies got absolutely nothing for him (which I knew at the time) and I ranted for the next month there, but it didn't matter, because nobody knew who Bob Abreu was :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts