Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An epiphany of sorts? Should I sell it all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
Ladies & Gents:

In order to even scan and post all of my collection would take me 8 hours a day for about three weeks.

I am really starting to hate these things and the amount of time they take up in my life, preventing me from further studying things I care more about (ie.., economics) and spending time with my family.

A goose and gander...any guesses from the masses as to what she shall tally?

I sold $24K already this year, so deduct that from what you're thinking.

:D

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
We need to know what else you got to give you a good estimate.

And if it's a player i'm looking for, I say sell it!

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
brouthercard said:
We need to know what else you got to give you a good estimate.

And if it's a player i'm looking for, I say sell it!

Wait about three weeks and check the ebay account. I hope to have everything listed with Best Offer Options by then.

ONce it's done, I'll scan the PC and post it here so you can see the compete array of crap I own.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
cgilmo said:
why do they stop you from spending time with your family?

Do you have to sell them in order for them to not take up time?
You know, Chris...I stopped collecting football cards in 2000, and I don't even know what teams are in what divisions anymore. I stopped collecting hockey cards a while ago, and I don't even know who half the guys are in the league anymore. I don't think I would watch sports at all if I didn't collect cards. Posting. Watching. Researching. Following stats and boxscores. Caring in general. Packing and mailing. Scanning. Sending money through Paypal. Managing my ebay account. Man, I would have all that time to use on things I enjoy more. I've been doing this since I was a tot at the flea market. It has been a way of life for me forever. Since my kids have been born, it's more of a burden on me than anything else. I find the enjoyment gone, and the time I used to have to allocate to it (i.e., was fun for me) is hard to find, making the requirement of time a hassle and stressful element in my life.

I guess I've just lost the love of it.

I'd rather not have to worry about it any more, or tend to it for that matter.

I literally cannot move in the room my cards are kept in because there are so many.

I find stacks of slabs I didn't even know I had.

It's insane.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
card-treasury said:
cgilmo said:

You know, Chris...I stopped collecting football cards in 2000, and I don't even know what teams are in what divisions anymore. I stopped collecting hockey cards a while ago, and I don't even know who half the guys are in the league anymore. I don't think I would watch sports at all if I didn't collect cards. Posting. Watching. Researching. Following stats and boxscores. Caring in general. Packing and mailing. Scanning. Sending money through Paypal. Managing my ebay account. Man, I would have all that time to use on things I enjoy more. I've been doing this since I was a tot at the flea market. It has been a way of life for me forever. Since my kids have been born, it's more of a burden on me than anything else. I find the enjoyment gone, and the time I used to have to allocate to it (i.e., was fun for me) is hard to find, making the requirement of time a hassle and stressful element in my life.

I literally cannot move in the room my cards are kept in because there are so many.

It's insane.

Good luck Mike. I completely understand what you are thinking.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If you're looking to move any Josh Johnson stuff, you know who to come to :p

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
card-treasury said:
cgilmo said:

It's insane.

exactly the same way i feel right now myself. i'm liquidating stuff also in small amounts and hope to be out in a year or so. good luck with yours.

bigredmachine

Dec 16, 2009
I totally agree with what your saying. Your making a smart decision. My wife has been getting on me lately about how much time I spend on the internet. Its a fulltime job researching players, scanning ebay, packing orders, shipping, etc. Its not hardly worth it for me anymore either.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I had similiar feelings a few years ago and I have been slowly getting rid of the bulk of the excess. I had near 200k cards and I am now down to around 70k cards, with the bulk of that being a part of my main collection. I am slowly working out the rest of the excess by making sets to trade or give away, it has been fun and interesting and really seeing where my collection really branches to. I focus mainly on Topps sets, am working on a 54 Bowman set, and one modern relic set.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
You should break it up into $100 grab bags and just pack them up to your liking. Have a few chase cards, etc. That would be a neat project.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Same. Now that school is out, I'll be listing basically everything. Hope to have it done before I reconfigure my curriculum in August.

Good luck, Mike. That's a hell of a collection.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Why not trim your collection a bit? Have you considered having someone else sell the items for you so you get the $, trim the pc, + get time back w/your family (hint, I do consignments LOL)? Would you keep any cards for the pc? How about holding some guys who are decent prospects yet haven’t made it yet (Beavan) + selling the ones who have made it? How about trimming the collection down?

Good luck whatever you do mike…time w/family is irreplaceable (unlike most cards)

Members online