Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dumbest BO you have received

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
One of my current auctions is for a card that sells for between $250-$270 on Ebay, everytime. I have a BIN of $275 and am taking best offers. I forgot to check the auto decline for amounts under $235. I just checked my auctions and I have a BO on the above mentioned auction. The BO amount? $65. Really? I countered with $274.99.

What is the dumbest (or worst low-ball) offer you have ever received?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
why would u auto decline everything below 235
my first offer is usually a bit lower than I am willing to go and I expect a counter offer
If i offered 235 and you countered at 250, I would prolly accept

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
AKT74 said:
One of my current auctions is for a card that sells for between $250-$270 on Ebay, everytime. I have a BIN of $275 and am taking best offers. I forgot to check the auto decline for amounts under $235. I just checked my auctions and I have a BO on the above mentioned auction. The BO amount? $65. Really? I countered with $274.99.

I would have not even responded and just declined and then went and edited the auction to end that low-ball crap.

But hey I'll give you 69 dvld for it site unseen :D

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
miguelcabrera said:
my first offer is usually a bit lower than I am willing to go and I expect a counter offer

and if you had offered 235 it would not have been declined.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Received a number of $1 offers on a set I had on eBay. I had put in the title it was a 1/1 because it had the only BGS 9.5 of a certain card. A bidder sent numerous email talking about how fraudulent it was to do that. Even went as far to report my auction to eBay.

Realistically, they were upset I turned down their original offer on the set - and were doing whatever they could after that to act annoying.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
Pine Tar said:
AKT74 said:

I would have not even responded and just declined and then went and edited the auction to end that low-ball crap.

But hey I'll give you 69 dvld for it site unseen :D

Thanks for the offer, but i'm really hoping he bites on my 274.99. :lol:

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
miguelcabrera said:

Why would you pay more than your "best" offer??

Maybe there should be 3 offer buttons,
an offer button, a better offer button , then a best offer button

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Why is there a counter offer option?

Each side is trying to get the best deal they can.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Because sometimes my "best offer" really isnt my "best offer".

What if he bites at a lower offer than my real "best offer"?

Shep

Oh and to the OP, I had a H. Matsui bat barrel 1/1 that sold for $2,500 and I got an offer of $150!

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
I had a 2004 Bowman Chrome Gold Ref Auto of Felix Hernandez that I was offered 1 cent on. In the message box the buyer said "take it, it's a good deal."

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
shepsspot said:
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Shep

Oh and to the OP, I had a H. Matsui bat barrel 1/1 that sold for $2,500 and I got an offer of $150!

Yeah but he would have paid right away. :lol:

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
I have my Cory Luebke superfractor auto online right now and I got a $50 offer recently :D

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I got an offer of $21.75 on a card that eventually sold for over $2500. I wasnt sure if it was a typo or not, but I just declined and went about my business.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Exactly. I understand that some people use BO as a negotiating tool, but the number of times I've been able to successfully negotiate a sale through BO back and forth is so small that I just don't bother with counteroffers anymore. I simply assume that 'Best Offer' actually means the buyer's BEST OFFER.

A few times, I've had buyers send a low BO, then get mad at me for accepting a different BO without counteroffering them first. Doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, I may be leaving money on the table in a few rare cases, but most of the time, counteroffering has been unproductive in my experience.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
maxpower said:
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Exactly. I understand that some people use BO as a negotiating tool, but the number of times I've been able to successfully negotiate a sale through BO back and forth is so small that I just don't bother with counteroffers anymore. I simply assume that 'Best Offer' actually means the buyer's BEST OFFER.

A few times, I've had buyers send a low BO, then get mad at me for accepting a different BO without counteroffering them first. Doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, I may be leaving money on the table in a few rare cases, but most of the time, counteroffering has been unproductive in my experience.

I couldnt agree more. I have never had a counter accepted, and thus I do not waste my time with them anymore. If the buyer wants the card badly enough, I figure they will submit another offer. There is a reason it is called Best Offer.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
shepsspot said:
Casebusters said:
miguelcabrera said:

Shep

If a best offer is more than 10% off what I'd like to get, I just ignore it. There's definitely a sweet spot for negotiating and you should be mindful of that when you make an offer. People respect reasonable negotiation but hate cheap little farts looking for a "DEAL" at all costs.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Pine Tar said:
jjj7880 said:
I have my Cory Luebke superfractor auto online right now and I got a $50 offer recently :D
Holding out for 51 :lol:

A gold ref auto is ending in a few min current bid is up to $56. Finally his prices have went above the initial prices when 07 draft 1st went live :D

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Not the dumbest, but closest to Book Value...
Sometimes when I am selling, I will put the book price in and have the best offer option...
I had a 95/96 Topps Finest basketball set on ebay that booked at $210.00 and someone submitted a best offer of $180.00.
I dont think 2 seconds went by from when I saw the email to clicking yes on the offer!

Members online

Latest posts