Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Trout's Timetable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From today's Ask BA with Jim Callis. Not quite the answer some of you were hoping for, but I did expect it.

How do you think the Angels will move outfielder Mike Trout along? I know he won't turn 19 until August, but he's tearing up low Class A. Do you think we could see him in the majors maybe late next year, or is 2012-13 a more realistic possibility? Torii Hunter's contract expires after the 2012 season, and Trout is his likely replacement. We all know about his plus-plus speed, but do you think his power will come around enough for him to be a 20-homer hitter in the big leagues? Will Trout crack the top 20 in the Top 100 Prospects list next spring?

Jason Patterson
Austin

Trout had a scintillating .360/.418/.506 pro debut in the Rookie-level Arizona League last summer, and he has had no problem making the jump to the low Class A Midwest League, one of the toughest hitting environments in the minors. He has been even better, batting .370/.449/.553 with 33 steals in 66 games. If he keeps this up, he'd have to rank near the top of the Top 100.

Though Trout has exceeded initial expectations, which already were high for the 26th overall pick in the 2009 draft, I don't think the Angels will try to rush him. They have Peter Bourjos in Triple-A as a potential successor for Hunter, and he'll allow Los Angeles to let Trout advance on his own timetable. I'd let him tear up the MWL this season and worry about accelerating his development further down the road. He figures to be ready by mid-2012 at the earliest.

It's also possible that as Trout gets bigger and stronger, he'll wind up in right field. He has the strength and bat speed to hit 20 homers per season in the majors, especially as he fills out and learns to turn on pitches more frequently.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
It's extremely rare for the current Angels administration to rush any prospects. They really try to get players indoctrinated into their type of play, and it's paid dividends so far.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
200lbhockeyplayer said:
It's extremely rare for the current Angels administration to rush any prospects. They really try to get players indoctrinated into their type of play, and it's paid dividends so far.

Despite Callis' answer, I'm making a prediction of my own. Trout will finish the year at cuckoo-monga. :mrgreen:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Jaypers said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Despite Callis' answer, I'm making a prediction of my own. Trout will finish the year at cuckoo-monga. :mrgreen:
Beautiful park, great name for a town and an amazing stadium name...The Epicenter - Home of the Quakes. Trout can learn more small ball in Cedar Rapids, so no sense pushing him into the CAL League to possibly derail that learning.

As an Angels fan, I'm excited for him, but patient enough.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i agree with that estimate. everyone seems to want to rush him. people on angels' fan forums have been calling for his promotion since early may. the kid is 18, let him continue to learn the angels' style of play (as mike said above) and progress at his own rate. bourjos is a prime candidate to take over for torii and the angels' brass is very high on him. if things continue to go well for trout he should finish the year in high A. next year he should split between hi A/AA and by mid 2012 he should be knocking on the big league door at the ripe old age 21.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Mike Trout is in town tonight taking part in the MidWest League All Star HR Derby.

same with Nick Franklin.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Trout wasnt too impressive in the HR Derby... alot of would be hits.... but not too many HRs. Only 2

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
Trout wasnt too impressive in the HR Derby... alot of would be hits.... but not too many HRs. Only 2

What about Franklin and what was your impression of Trout??

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
mwashuc06 said:
P_Manning 18 said:

What about Franklin and what was your impression of Trout??

I think Franklin had 3 HRs.... Davis put on the best show that ive seen so far. I had to get ready for work so I missed Matt Davidson. Trout looked good... said he wont turn 19 til July 7th... just didnt do great in the Derby.... but had a few shots that would have been hits in a normal game.

Nate Freiman is putting on a show himself.... a few monster shots that cleared the back fence and on to the street.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Nate Freiman 12
Khris Davis 9
Matt Davidson 8
Henry Rodriguez & Nick Franklin both tied and will make the semifinals... cant remember what they hit... maybe 4 or 5

But now I get to leave for work. Oh well.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've enjoyed following Trout this season and hope the best for him moving forward.

But as someone who owns a few of his cards, I would LOVE to see him stay in Cegar Rapids all year. If he can hit .370 through the first half of the season, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to do the same during the second half. Likewise, his cards continue to climb in price and have ever since the start of the season. If he continues to hit like this, I don't see any reason for them that climb to slow or stop.

Sure the Cal League will be great to inflate his power numbers, but why put him in a position where he could potentially struggle a little bit against slightly more advanced pitching? I say let him tear up A-ball for the remainder of the year and move him forward next season, with a willingness to advance him as quickly as he proves he is ready to move forward.

caltek3

Jul 5, 2009
california
i cant wait for him to move to the quakes...there stadium is less than 30 minutes from me and will go to alot of games once he is moved there. what are some of your expectations as far as ba's topp 100 list for next year? top 20 maybe top 10?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
caltek3 said:
i cant wait for him to move to the quakes...there stadium is less than 30 minutes from me and will go to alot of games once he is moved there. what are some of your expectations as far as ba's topp 100 list for next year? top 20 maybe top 10?

If he finishes the year batting .370 with 50+ SB and 10-15 homers, I gotta say top 10. If he cools off a bit and finishes batting, say .330, then probably top 25 is a safe bet.

Members online

Latest posts