Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baltimore Users (If any)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frazzles

Jun 3, 2010
Peoria, AZ
I'm in Baltimore until mid-July and was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get some wax while I'm here... probably just want to pick up a 2010 Bowman Hobby box and some card protectors.

Any info would be appreciated.

I'm staying at the JHU Homewood campus.

Thanks.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

There is a place in Timonium off Padiona road called Jay's Great Moments.

frazzles

Jun 3, 2010
Peoria, AZ
All In Cards said:
very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

Will do, any other good eateries to check out?

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
frazzles said:
All In Cards said:

Will do, any other good eateries to check out?

all the ones on Cold Spring are pretty good, Alonso's, Loco Hombre.

I love Lexington Market but others will probably tell you to stay away. lol

allstarauction

Aug 7, 2008
That campus is pretty much right in the city, I am not too familiar with the shops in the city, but if you are willing to drive 30-40 minutes I can give you a few names of places that are pretty nice.

Let me know...

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:

Jay's is right on York Road (State Route 45) just north of Timonium Road - if you hit Padonia Road you have gone way too far north. Not much wax anymore, the originals owners are long gone and it has morphed into more of a collectible shop as opposed to a card shop.

Second the nod to Alonso's on Cold Spring Lane between York and Charles for bar food, also try to hit Kissling's out towards Patterson Park for good bar food.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Bonds73 said:
All In Cards said:

Jay's is right on York Road (State Route 45) just north of Timonium Road - if you hit Padonia Road you have gone way too far north. Not much wax anymore, the originals owners are long gone and it has morphed into more of a collectible shop as opposed to a card shop.

Second the nod to Alonso's on Cold Spring Lane between York and Charles for bar food, also try to hit Kissling's out towards Patterson Park for good bar food.

Sorry but Jay's moved 2 months ago to Padonia Shopping Center a few doors down from Padonia Station.

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":2pvisql2]very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

Sorry but Jay's moved 2 months ago to Padonia Shopping Center a few doors down from Padonia Station.[/quote:2pvisql2]

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I am now counting 3 or 4 moves since the original location down by the Towson Diner.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Bonds73 said:
All In Cards said:
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":3g4zd4dt]very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

Sorry but Jay's moved 2 months ago to Padonia Shopping Center a few doors down from Padonia Station.

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I am now counting 3 or 4 moves since the original location down by the Towson Diner.[/quote:3g4zd4dt]

Go back even further, they were on Allegheny for years in the heart of Towson. I worked one summer for Jay Fineglass the original owner. Then Don took over after the move to York Rd next to the Towson Diner.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
The best place to get wax would be Baseball Card Outlet on Eastern Ave in Dundalk (East Baltimore). I advise you not to go to DUgout Zone in Ellicott City - they sell expensive stuff such as wax.

Since you live off JHU, you should check out Hampden where the Cafe Hon, Holy Frijoles & McCabe's are located. Fraziers is a good place for drinks...

Andrew (allincards) is correct about Jay's Sports - it's all collectibles since the new management took over. I used to go there all the time for wax, but now they aren't up to date on newer waxs...

Hope this helps, since I am a beloved Baltimorean... Had good times at JHU back in college days :D

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
excel_B said:
The best place to get wax would be Baseball Card Outlet on Eastern Ave in Dundalk (East Baltimore). I advise you not to go to DUgout Zone in Ellicott City - they sell expensive stuff such as wax.

Since you live off JHU, you should check out Hampden where the Cafe Hon, Holy Frijoles & McCabe's are located. Fraziers is a good place for drinks...

Andrew (allincards) is correct about Jay's Sports - it's all collectibles since the new management took over. I used to go there all the time for wax, but now they aren't up to date on newer waxs...

Hope this helps, since I am a beloved Baltimorean... Had good times at JHU back in college days :D

BBC Outlet is the only place worth checking out if you're looking for wax. They are fresh out of 2010 Bowman, but they have a pretty good selection of everything else. Expect to pay card shop prices though. Dugout Zone in Ellicott City is OK, but the drive is a little much. There is a neat little shop in Arbutus called D&J baseball cards. The owner (Mel) is a pretty interesting guy who is always up for a little conversation. Sort of out of the way, off of Wilkens Ave by the railroad tracks, but probably the #2 place in the city behind BBC outlet.

allstarauction

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
excel_B said:

BBC Outlet is the only place worth checking out if you're looking for wax. They are fresh out of 2010 Bowman, but they have a pretty good selection of everything else. Expect to pay card shop prices though. Dugout Zone in Ellicott City is OK, but the drive is a little much. There is a neat little shop in Arbutus called D&J baseball cards. The owner (Mel) is a pretty interesting guy who is always up for a little conversation. Sort of out of the way, off of Wilkens Ave by the railroad tracks, but probably the #2 place in the city behind BBC outlet.

I usually stop by D&J once a week, it is on my way home from work. Do you go there often?

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
All In Cards said:
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":33veiw2l]
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":33veiw2l]very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I am now counting 3 or 4 moves since the original location down by the Towson Diner.[/quote:33veiw2l]

Go back even further, they were on Allegheny for years in the heart of Towson. I worked one summer for Jay Fineglass the original owner. Then Don took over after the move to York Rd next to the Towson Diner.[/quote:33veiw2l]

That's right, I forgot about that location. I remember sitting on stools there going through boxes of commons to complete sets. I miss those days, but the hobby has evolved/changed to where that type of shop is no longer feasable. I wonder what Don is up to these days, he seemed to have lost interest after the move up to Timonium from Towson.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Bonds73 said:
All In Cards said:
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":qrpkx601]
Bonds73 said:
[quote="All In Cards":qrpkx601]very cool enjoy your stay, dont forget to check out Miss Shirley's for breakfast one day. thats off cold spring near campus

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I am now counting 3 or 4 moves since the original location down by the Towson Diner.

Go back even further, they were on Allegheny for years in the heart of Towson. I worked one summer for Jay Fineglass the original owner. Then Don took over after the move to York Rd next to the Towson Diner.[/quote:qrpkx601]

That's right, I forgot about that location. I remember sitting on stools there going through boxes of commons to complete sets. I miss those days, but the hobby has evolved/changed to where that type of shop is no longer feasable. I wonder what Don is up to these days, he seemed to have lost interest after the move up to Timonium from Towson.[/quote:qrpkx601]

Don sold his business to the owner of the Great Moments of Westminster 2 or 3 years ago...

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
If you have time and wheels, you can make a trip out to Frederick to check out Burton's Cards and Coins, generally with a decent selection of current wax and a good atmosphere. It is off of Route 85/Buckeystown Pike not too far off of I-70.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Don's wife passed away a few years ago and he was in and out of the hospital. I think he is doing much better now.

One of his son's lives in CA so he was going to enjoy retirement and do some traveling and visit his kids.

Yes, the good old days of monster boxes of commons. I spend hours sorting cards for them. I remember going in and completing my 1990 Bowman Sets from those boxes.

Members online

Latest posts