Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Situation, What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
So I bought a box of 2010 Allen & Ginter, a pre-order. The guy said his paypal is locked or something so he couldn't pay his supplier for the box. So I left negative feedback because why would list something you can't get???

So he sends me a message,

Dear --------(My ebay username),

Hey ******* was the negative feedback really necessary!!!

- ----------------(His ebay username) Are we allowed to post usernames?

I mean if you cant get the item to me, why would you list it?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
If he refunded your money completely, I don't think the negative is warranted.

edited to add:

It sounds like he was the victim of one of those PayPal funds holdings. They lock the funds for several weeks until feedback is received on the items. Being that this is Pre-Order, obviously feedback can't be left for some time...hence the funds are locked indeffinitely.

A_Pharis

I wouldn't have left a negative right away. I'd give him a couple of days to get his account unlocked and either get his boxes or refund. CHances are, though, he hadn't purchased what he was selling, yet. I'd venture to guess he was "pre-selling" to make enough to buy a case.

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
Just report the message to eBay for using profane language. I believe there is a link at the bottom of every eBay massage that says report message.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
BunchOBull said:

edited to add:

It sounds like he was the victim of one of those PayPal funds holdings. They lock the funds for several weeks until feedback is received on the items. Being that this is Pre-Order, obviously feedback can't be left for some time...hence the funds are locked indeffinitely.

I did not know that :eek:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
danimal said:
Just report the message to eBay for using profane language. I believe there is a link at the bottom of every eBay massage that says report message.

I wouldn't do that in this case, that's a pretty tame name, and it sounds like the seller may be getting the shaft already.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
danimal said:
I wouldn't report it.In this case the name is pretty fitting.
Mike

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Assuming this seller refunded you the money, he can actually report you for abusing the TOS Feedback rules.

In turn you can report him for calling you an *******...Either way it would probably be best if you told him you would revise the feedback to a neutral if he submitted the revision application to you. There was really no sense in leaving a negative...The paypal holding crap is relatively new, and it sucks. I have been a comfirmed user for years, and they still hold my money once in a while. Hell my balance is over $1500 and they hold a $6.00 payment. Worst part is its totally random as to what they choose to hold.

This is in my personal opinion just a simple mistake that can be rectified on both ends. Try to communicate with the seller next time, ask him why they are holding it, and when you should expect this item. After that you could have discussed cancelling this transaction and move on from there.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
There are many reasons 18 is the minimum age to create an eBay account.

One of them MIGHT be the assumption that people at least 18 years old have been around long enough to understand how internet transactions work, and therefore will not act inappropriately the second something doesn't go their way.

Seriously man, I've had things go WAY worse than this both as a buyer and seller and have never left a negative feedback. People are reasonable in general. You can work a lot of problems out simply by being polite and communicating with people.

Basically I'm trying to say that the negative was unwarranted and that you should probably do whatever you can to change or remove it. This was out of the seller's hands and he refunded your money anyway. That's called good business.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
There are many reasons 18 is the minimum age to create an eBay account.

One of them MIGHT be the assumption that people at least 18 years old have been around long enough to understand how internet transactions work, and therefore will not act inappropriately the second something doesn't go their way.

Seriously man, I've had things go WAY worse than this both as a buyer and seller and have never left a negative feedback. People are reasonable in general. You can work a lot of problems out simply by being polite and communicating with people.

Basically I'm trying to say that the negative was unwarranted and that you should probably do whatever you can to change or remove it. This was out of the seller's hands and he refunded your money anyway. That's called good business.

The main reason is that a contract is voidable by the minor. Not void -- voidable. Not quite sure how this 14 year old got an eBay account.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jeff N. said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":7iplv6f6]There are many reasons 18 is the minimum age to create an eBay account.

The main reason is that a contract is voidable by the minor. Not void -- voidable. Not quite sure how this 14 year old got an eBay account.[/quote:7iplv6f6]

It's gotta be pretty easy to lie on the form and change your birth year, but I can' be sure about that...I haven't done it before. In most cases, maturity comes with age, and that is something an eBay account absolutely requires to maintain the site's professional atmosphere. Dropping uncalled-for negative feedback is one thing that shows both ignorance and immaturity, and as I said, is one of the many reasons 18 is the minimum age.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
In 1998 when I started my account I was 14 and there was no checks and balances system in place. With the advent of PayPal, that changed a little, but I was 18 by that point. I've always wondered if eBay thinking I'm 4 years older than I am will bite me in the ass one day.

Fortunately, I've never had to leave a negative or had a negative left on me.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
techboy42004 said:
BunchOBull said:

edited to add:

I did not know that :eek:

When does A&G even come out? Is it live now or something? Why in the world would you leave a negative for a seller on a product that is a presale? Give the guy time to order it and get it in for cripes sakes. What did you expect the box at your doorstep in 5 days or something? Also if he emailed you and told you about the paypal situation, you have no reason to leave a negative. All you had to do was politely as for a refund and go elsewhere for the product.

Also why would you come here asking what we would do when you already left the seller a negative? Why not ask us first, THEN do whatever you thought was necessary. You need to understand all aspects of ebay and paypal before you just hap-hazardly throw around negatives that are not warranted. If you would've asked the same question you started with and left out all the negative feedback stuff, you would've gotten the same responses.

I absolutly HATE the fact that seller can no longer leave a negative feedback for buyers. Such a crock. This dude would've gotten one from me.

~AJ

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
What was the point of asking what you should do when you already gave the guy a negative! Was not smart to give the guy a negative so quickly, AND announce on here that you gave him a negative. I guarantee that this little Ebay thread of yours will make people not deal with you in the future. Sorry man, add another to Foe list.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Where I think the negative wasn't necessary, many responses on here are saying the buyer received a refund. How do you know this? If the funds were being held by Paypal so he couldn't order the box, most likely he didn't have the funds to issue a refund either.

To the OP, I would have given the seller time to make it right, and if that didn't work, I would have filed a claim with Paypal. Because if they held the money, until item was received, you would have received your money back.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
i43770 said:
Where I think the negative wasn't necessary, many responses on here are saying the buyer received a refund. How do you know this? If the funds were being held by Paypal so he couldn't order the box, most likely he didn't have the funds to issue a refund either.

To the OP, I would have given the seller time to make it right, and if that didn't work, I would have filed a claim with Paypal. Because if they held the money, until item was received, you would have received your money back.

If PayPal was holding the funds, the seller could refund without issue; however, he himself could not access the funds. Otherwise, we have no reason to believe the seller didn't refund the kid because that's not his complaint.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
::facepalm::

This is a board of sellers. I'm sure you all think you are telling this kid reasonable things, but as a reasonable buyer, I beg to differ.

When I shop for items on ebay, I presume that the seller actually has the item he is selling me. Every single time.

Wouldn't you be kind of sad if you purchased a book for a class that starts in 2 weeks, only to have the seller tell you later that he doesn't actually have the book? He was hoping to have the book, but he just doesn't have it. Sorry. Now you have a couple days to get the book you need.

Would you be pleased if you speared that While Whale superfractor of your hot little prospect only to have the seller tell you he doesn't have the card? "I had a whole case, and totally thought I was going to pull the super, but it just didn't happen. Sorry."

Selling something that you do not have is.... stupid! I understand pre-sells and how they work, but... if you are selling something now and HOPING to have it in your possession later, you are taking quite a gamble. If you win you earn a little money, if you lose you EARN a negative feedback. The OP didn't just GIVE the seller a neg, the seller earned it. And deserved it. I'm sure many sellers out there are shocked to read that, but feedback isn't that difficult to calculate. Was this a positive experience for the OP? No, it was negative experience.

I wasn't as young as I wish I was 14 years ago, and I'm even older now. So I don't think it's only 14 year olds who expect the seller of an item to actually own the item and have the ability to send the item to you when you win their auction.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm not a seller, and I completely disagree. If not for pre-sales then I'd pay a lot more than I had to for the products I want to rip.

Anyone who has ever purchased pre-sales with regularity, including off of eBay, knows that's a possibility.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts