Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Pujols RC investment aside from Bowman Chrome AUTO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fitefansho

May 26, 2010
We all know Albert Pujols is the best hitter in the world (right?) and that his cards have real consistent value and sell for real money when offered. He seems like a clean lock for the HOF, a potential Triple Crown at some point, and maybe even the status of greatest baseball player EVER. That said... which of his 2001 cards is the best investment aside from his Bowman Chrome Auto? There seems to be a lot of room for some of his other cards to grow in value. Personally, I find his 2001 Topps Reserve RC issue to be the best for future investment. It's $150 book right now and I can see it climbing. It's Topps, it's a RC, it's a beautiful card showing Pujols in full swing like his Bowman issue, and it's limited to 1500 cards.

aptr.jpg

Thoughts & opinions?

fitefansho

May 26, 2010
Jaypers said:
2001 Donruss Signature Auto/330 for me.

I should have said aside from all AUTO'd cards.

Which non-auto 2001 Pujols card has the best investment potential?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
fitefansho said:
Jaypers said:
2001 Donruss Signature Auto/330 for me.

I should have said aside from all AUTO'd cards.

Which non-auto 2001 Pujols card has the best investment potential?

In that case, I'd say his regular Donruss RC/500. I believe they were all redemptions, making these more scarce.

fitefansho

May 26, 2010
Jaypers,

Do you believe # produced is the most important factor in this determination or are there other factors at play such as the manufacturer of the card, the appearance of the card, etc?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
fitefansho said:
Jaypers,

Do you believe # produced is the most important factor in this determination or are there other factors at play such as the manufacturer of the card, the appearance of the card, etc?

All of the above. I like the look of the card and it's considered a shortprint.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure on which unsigned variety is the best investment. I think historically his Bowman's Best has been one of the most popular non-signed ones. SP Authentic is also pretty popular.

For signed ones, SPx has shown that there's loads of investment potential. It's simply the most volatile RC card he has, and now it is fairly low based on historic rates (it has gone as high as $1200 for a raw copy.) The print run is higher than some, but it's a great picture, and an on-card autograph that is not cramped (like the BC or Bowman Auto's.)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There were 5000 etopps so it's not exactly rare. But this is tempered by the fact that not all are in-hand.

I like this card as well:
01BHPromoAP.jpg

Supposably only 500 copies, distributed at the National that year in cello packs (1-card packs?) with (wrapped) gum, so condition can be iffy. The fact that its a different pic from the regular card is great, adding to desirability, IMHO. HTF these days, and it's not in Beckett. Since it's a promo and not a 'real' card, some people might shy away, but I think it's a great piece.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure what kind of investment Pujols is, as far as future growth. Assuming he doesn't do something truly amazing like Triple Crown or home run record, and is merely a perennial MVP candidate, I don't know how much higher his stuff can go. Except for the real blue-chip stuff like his BC auto, I think the last few years have pushed the market as high as it'll go.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
smapdi said:
There were 5000 etopps so it's not exactly rare. But this is tempered by the fact that not all are in-hand.

I like this card as well:
01BHPromoAP.jpg

Supposably only 500 copies, distributed at the National that year in cello packs (1-card packs?) with (wrapped) gum, so condition can be iffy. The fact that its a different pic from the regular card is great, adding to desirability, IMHO. HTF these days, and it's not in Beckett. Since it's a promo and not a 'real' card, some people might shy away, but I think it's a great piece.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure what kind of investment Pujols is, as far as future growth. Assuming he doesn't do something truly amazing like Triple Crown or home run record, and is merely a perennial MVP candidate, I don't know how much higher his stuff can go. Except for the real blue-chip stuff like his BC auto, I think the last few years have pushed the market as high as it'll go.

Couple of factors here:
1. Prices are far lower than they were 3-4 years ago. The focus has not been on Pujols this season, and that has softened the prices of his cards. The economy has also cut prices in half on some of his key RC Auto's.
2. Pretty soon he'll be approaching some significant milestones. In the next couple of seasons he should pass 400 homers, and 2000 hits, and then (assuming he can remain healthy) the big time stats will be approaching. Throw in the fact that the next time he wins an MVP, it would be his 4th, something only Bonds has done (and many dismiss Bonds because of 'Roids.)

I often believe that pricing, especially on established players, often follows strange patterns. Players get "forgotten" and then "remembered" simply because the hobby can not focus on everyone at once. Pujols is quite possibly the greatest hitter (outside possibly of Bonds) in the last few decades and as his career stats approach the big milestones I think the attention will come back to him. JMO of course.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
I like the gold Topps card with Ichiro.
It can be collected by fans of both players as well as set builders.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'm a firm believer in the basics for long-term...Topps Traded and Upper Deck. Low dollar entry points allow more people to jump in.

When Pujols cards peaked, it was the Topps and Upper Deck that saw the greatest percentage gains.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I'm a firm believer in the basics for long-term...Topps Traded and Upper Deck. Low dollar entry points allow more people to jump in.

When Pujols cards peaked, it was the Topps and Upper Deck that saw the greatest percentage gains.

this.

this time in '06 i was getting nearly triple digits for his raw UD rcs on ebay

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Looks wise.and product I like the sox and as far as altering goes that can be said with most higher end pujols. Still like the Bowman auto
Codasco07 said:
jcmint said:
The Bowman auto and the the sox auto

I assume you mean the SPx? I think there's too many of them (1500) and most of them are either trimmed, resigned, or both.

Members online

Latest posts