Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another High-Profile Starting Prospect Moved to the Pen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
::facepalm::

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/0 ... an-to-pen/

Aroldis Chapman: Chapman may be called up as a reliever
Aroldis Chapman - S - CIN - Jun. 23 - 2:28 pm et
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty acknowledged Wednesday that pitching prospect Aroldis Chapman could be called up as a reliever.
Chapman is set to pitch in relief of Edinson Volquez on Wednesday night and the Reds will wait to see how that goes before making any long-term decisions. "We may look at that," Jocketty said. "If Volquez comes back and [Homer] Bailey isn't far away, the best opportunity will be out of the bullpen. But we could still possibly use him as a starter." Jun. 23 - 2:28 pm et
Source: MLBlogs.com

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Cincy's management?

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Jaypers said:
::facepalm::

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/0 ... an-to-pen/

Aroldis Chapman: Chapman may be called up as a reliever
Aroldis Chapman - S - CIN - Jun. 23 - 2:28 pm et
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty acknowledged Wednesday that pitching prospect Aroldis Chapman could be called up as a reliever.
Chapman is set to pitch in relief of Edinson Volquez on Wednesday night and the Reds will wait to see how that goes before making any long-term decisions. "We may look at that," Jocketty said. "If Volquez comes back and [Homer] Bailey isn't far away, the best opportunity will be out of the bullpen. But we could still possibly use him as a starter." Jun. 23 - 2:28 pm et
Source: MLBlogs.com

i think its all through baseball. mets with mejier, yanks with joba. hope they dont screw him up.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Cincy's management?

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I think its smart all the way around. There is no spot for him in the rotation, and there are pitchers in the system who are out-performing him. He has been wild, but it would be foolish (espically with them being in the race for their division) to not use his arm. He can come up and be a very valuable piece and get some major league experience. Work hard in the off-season to become a front-line starter. I don't think that the Reds really expected Leake and LeCure to perform this good. Also this isn't a death blow for his cards, if you run up the radar gun and strike people out and look dominate at the big league leave you will get hype and your cards will go up. (ex, Zumaya, Feliz, Chamberlian, Francisco Rodriguez)

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I'll never understand why people react so negatively to these reports. More often than not, it's a temporary move. It allows the player to receive big league experience in controlled situations.

If I were a GM/Manager, I would break in nearly all of my prospects as relievers. That certainly doesn't mean I'd keep them that way but half a season to a full year can do wonders for a player's development.

Also, let's not forget the the bullpen has always been a strong possibility for Chapman.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
braden said:
I'll never understand why people react so negatively to these reports. More often than not, it's a temporary move. It allows the player to receive big league experience in controlled situations.

If I were a GM/Manager (and not a baseball card buyer) , I would break in nearly all of my prospects as relievers. That certainly doesn't mean I'd keep them that way but half a season to a full year can do wonders for a player's development.

Also, let's not forget the the bullpen has always been a strong possibility for Chapman.

Typically, GM's/Managers don't raid their local WalMarts, Targets and LCS's for Topps products.

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
Worked pretty well for Wainwright, Jockety is a good GM, i don't see him messing him up, I would be more worried with Dusty Baker in charge of him

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
That sucks. I saw some guy at a recent White Plains show with ATLEAST 35 base elite autos, 15-20/100 elite autos, 10 /50 elite autos and 1-2 /5 autos plus the WBC superfractor and possibly the /1 elite auto. One of the best prospect stashes I've ever seen.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
thats chris and he aint happy
goblue6919 said:
That sucks. I saw some guy at a recent White Plains show with ATLEAST 35 base elite autos, 15-20/100 elite autos, 10 /50 elite autos and 1-2 /5 autos plus the WBC superfractor and possibly the /1 elite auto. One of the best prospect stashes I've ever seen.

Members online

Latest posts