Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What prospect did you just KNOW would pan out but never did?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
For me, it's gotta be Edwin Encarnacion. I figured...free swinger with some speed...small ballpark (when with the Reds)...part of a team that had good young talent (at the time Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, etc). I thought "this guy is gonna be 30 HR and 20 SB just waiting to happen!" Loaded up on his Fleer Autographix whenever I could for $10 delivered thinking it was a smart move. ZOINKS!

Lets hear yours...

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Sean Burroughs.

Thankfully, I was not alone in this pick because by all accounts, he was a "can't miss prospect." As sure of a thing as any hitting prospect today.

Then he wanted to hit for power. His swing changed, his confidence changed. Everything changed.

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
Chris Hobdy Left handed pitcher in the Dodgers farm system. He was unreal how good he was then he got arrested for stealing from the players in the locker room ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
vetsgt02 said:
Chris Hobdy Left handed pitcher in the Dodgers farm system. He was unreal how good he was then he got arrested for stealing from the players in the locker room ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
How good was he? If I remember correctly, he was a non-prospect with almost no professional experience when this happened.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Sean Burroughs.

Thankfully, I was not alone in this pick because by all accounts, he was a "can't miss prospect." As sure of a thing as any hitting prospect today.

Then he wanted to hit for power. His swing changed, his confidence changed. Everything changed.

I had a nice stash of this stuff too ::facepalm::

Ended up dumping in a giant, worthless lot of rc and auto cards for about .25 each. Meh.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
bungle77 said:
Josh Fields.

To this day I think I have maybe 10 of his Donruss elite parallel auto's where he wrote "OSU" on it. Also spend $15 on an Ultimate dual auto #'d 1/15, and at the time thought it was an "incredible steal".

Encarnacion, Burroughs, Fields...I am going to add Dewon Brazelton and Jeff Allison on this list and make it my top 5 worst baseball investments!

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
Jose Castillo. I bought in on the 2002 Donruss Elites and TOTC Parallels after the initial hype died down thinking they would come back.

Unfortunately only his weight went up, not his batting average.

B

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
burroughs.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer said:
Sean Burroughs.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
markakis8 said:
burroughs.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer said:
Sean Burroughs.

I never said he wasn't a fat little kid.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
sportscardtheory said:
Josh Barfield. Great rookie season (13 HRs, 58 RBIs, 21 SBs) to out-of-the-league within two years. Thanks, Josh.

I remember people saying he was going to have a much better career than his dad (my favorite player of AT). Yeah ummmm, no!

Last I heard he was at spring training with SD again. Is he still playing?

Members online