Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who has a Strasburg Bowman auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
In their PC, or whatever the term is. I have two, pujolsjunkie has one, and that's all I know of. Anyone else actually holding one?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I think people are seriously underestimating the staying power of the Bowman auto. I'm well aware that he'll have autos in every product here on out and I know Chrome is king, but this one is a bit unique. It's his first autograph, it's relatively scarce (especially with more and more disappearing in to PC's, and it was the only auto available during the callup/first game hype. And the residual effect of similar looking parallel 1/1's selling for thousands with national media attention.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
I was heavily considering keeping mine but
sold for $615. I plan on picking one up in the
future when hype dies down.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
I was heavily considering keeping mine but
sold for $615. I plan on picking one up in the
future when hype dies down.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If this card does not dip under $300 in the next year I will be absolutely shocked. IMO the economics just don't make sense.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Superfractor said:
Nice, bradical.

I don't have one, thinking BC would have a blue chrome au.. Now that I see it'll be the green-logo chrome, I'll wait for the prices to come down.
If topps were smart, they would've made the green-logo auto in BDP....unless they somehow put another auto in BDP of Strasburg like a dual auto with harper? Now that'd be sickkkk!!! (<Hint Hint Topps :))

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Topnotchsy said:
If this card does not dip under $300 in the next year I will be absolutely shocked. IMO the economics just don't make sense.

Here's why I think its' value has staying power.

1) Shortprinted, and hobby/jumbo only. 500 isn't a lot, and when the presses have been cranked, they're even harder to pull. Not to mention wax prices are insane. Why spend $350 for a slim chance to pull one when you can just buy it outright?
2) Product reputation. Topps will put him in everything this year, but the Bowman name is the most recognizable for prospects.
3) Ridiculous hype and media coverage. How many pitchers have created such a stir every 5th day in recent memory?

Now, I'm not so naive as to think these won't fall some once BC comes out, but I'd be surprised to see them fall that far.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
darocker80 said:
Superfractor said:
Nice, bradical.

I don't have one, thinking BC would have a blue chrome au.. Now that I see it'll be the green-logo chrome, I'll wait for the prices to come down.
If topps were smart, they would've made the green-logo auto in BDP....unless they somehow put another auto in BDP of Strasburg like a dual auto with harper? Now that'd be sickkkk!!! (<Hint Hint Topps :))

That's what everyone was thinking. Oh well, so it's one less **** Topps will milk? Still plenty of Cash-burg for us all!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Topnotchsy said:

1) Shortprinted, and hobby/jumbo only. 500 isn't a lot, and when the presses have been cranked, they're even harder to pull. Not to mention wax prices are insane. Why spend $350 for a slim chance to pull one when you can just buy it outright?
2) Product reputation. Topps will put him in everything this year, but the Bowman name is the most recognizable for prospects.
3) Ridiculous hype and media coverage. How many pitchers have created such a stir every 5th day in recent memory?

Now, I'm not so naive as to think these won't fall some once BC comes out, but I'd be surprised to see them fall that far.
Honestly I think the day he goes 4 innings and gives up 7 runs it will drop a whole bunch. Right now the entire country is watching him (in between World Cup matches) and that will end sooner or later. He'll have a ton of other options including a Chrome RC Auto with all the parallels. And while you mention the Bowman name, it is really Bowman Chrome that gets the press time. Look back at past Bowman Auto's and they don't touch Bowman Chrome ones. And the SP aspect often gets lost in the shuffle IMO. In 2005 Drew and Weaver were SP's in base Chrome, but people often don't even remember that. Here they have specific numbering so it's easier, but I'm still not sold.

Simply comparing his prices to prices of others players tells me it has to end sooner or later. What would a Lincecum Bowman Auto /500 be worth now? $80? Strasburg is a celebrity while Lincecum is a baseball player, but is he worth 7x-8x the price?

I'd love to see prices stay up especially since I have a Bowman Chrome Orange Ref. incoming (which I'll likely move once it arrives) but I have a hard time seeing it. Of course, all bets are off if he keeps his ERA under 2 and strikes out 10 guys a game.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Jaypers said:
Topnotchsy said:

Honestly I think the day he goes 4 innings and gives up 7 runs it will drop a whole bunch. Right now the entire country is watching him (in between World Cup matches) and that will end sooner or later. He'll have a ton of other options including a Chrome RC Auto with all the parallels. And while you mention the Bowman name, it is really Bowman Chrome that gets the press time. Look back at past Bowman Auto's and they don't touch Bowman Chrome ones. And the SP aspect often gets lost in the shuffle IMO. In 2005 Drew and Weaver were SP's in base Chrome, but people often don't even remember that. Here they have specific numbering so it's easier, but I'm still not sold.

Simply comparing his prices to prices of others players tells me it has to end sooner or later. What would a Lincecum Bowman Auto /500 be worth now? $80? Strasburg is a celebrity while Lincecum is a baseball player, but is he worth 7x-8x the price?

I'd love to see prices stay up especially since I have a Bowman Chrome Orange Ref. incoming (which I'll likely move once it arrives) but I have a hard time seeing it. Of course, all bets are off if he keeps his ERA under 2 and strikes out 10 guys a game.

Super nice Orange Ref, last one went near $1k - [phil:ueln3qe6]190408517474[/phil:ueln3qe6]

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
masonphillip said:
Super nice Orange Ref, last one went near $1k - [phil:49bdluy1]190408517474[/phil:49bdluy1]
I'm thinking I may throw it up there as an auction and let it ride. We'll have to see.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
I still have my Bowman Auto... still undecided on what to do with it.... Sold my Sweet Spot Auto /37 for $875 last night though :)

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Don't kid yourselves guys - once BC comes out & the auto becomes THE Stras to have the Bowman will be dwarved by the BC. Being the first of many means nothing, right now the Bowman is the only & thats why the market is crazy.

Bowman Chrome is king.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts