Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did you know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Mark Buehrle is the only pitcher in MLB history to have 3 complete game shutouts where he faced the minimum of 27 batters? On July 21, 2004 Buehrle allowed singles to batters in the 7th and 8th innings, but both runners would eventually be erased on inning ending double plays. He retired the first 19 batters in that game. On April 18th, 2007 Buehrle threw his first no-hitter. The lone baserunner that day was Sammy Sosa, who was walked in the 5th inning, and then promptly picked off first base. And then on July 23, 2009 Buehrle tossed his perfect game.

Roy Oswalt is the last pitcher to face the minimum of 27 batters and NOT throw a perfect game. On September 11, 2008 Oswalt allowed singles in the 1st, 8th, and 9th innings, but all three of those runners were wiped out by inning ending double plays. He only threw 91 pitches.

On July 25, 2007 Aaron Cook of the Rockies tossed a complete game in a 10-2 victory over the Padres. Cook allowed 2 runs in the first before settling down and finishing with 8 scoreless frames. He allowed 7 hits and only had 2 strikeouts, but he didn't walk anyone. Why am I telling you about this game? He only threw 74 pitches, 55 for strikes. He had four innings where he threw more warmup pitches (8) than pitches in the inning, including just 5 pitches thrown in the 8th inning.

The last 3 pitch inning was thrown by Jamie Moyer in the 2nd inning of this game against the Braves on May 7, 2010: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 5070.shtml
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Moyer is the oldest pitcher to have a 3 pitch inning. Mariano Rivera and Greg Maddux have both had two 3 pitch innings in their careers. No one has done it twice in one game.

The last pitcher to have 3 strikeouts on 9 pitches in one inning is Russ Ohlendorf, on September 5, 2009: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 9050.shtml
Ohlendorf struck out Khalil Greene, Julio Lugo, and Jason LaRue in the 7th inning. It has only happened 14 times since 2001, but only twice in the AL (Pedro Martinez in 2002 and Rich Harden in 2008).

David

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Some more.

Matt Cain (799) and Tim Lincecum (793) are both within reach of their 800th career strikeouts in their next start. They will be the 670th and 671st pitchers to reach 800. Oil Can Boyd finished with 799.

Kazuhiro Sasaki and Mark Wohlers both had 1 inning saves where they struck out 4 batters and did not allow another baserunner. Both pitchers threw wild pitches on third strikes. Derek Wallace struck out 4 in a one inning save as well, but he allowed a double too. His first strikeout victim (Terry Pendleton) reached base on a passed ball on the third strike.

There are 297 players who have hit 200 Home Runs in their career. Jason Bay (191) is the closest active player to 200. There are 747 players with 100.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
17ROCKIES12 said:
Cool facts. How many players have 1000 career hits?

There have been 1071 players with 1000 hits. Jason Bay was the most recent addition to the list. Scott Brosius finished his career with 1001 hits. Glenallen Hill finished his with 1005.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
leatherman said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
Cool facts. How many players have 1000 career hits?

There have been 1071 players with 1000 hits. Jason Bay was the most recent addition to the list. Scott Brosius finished his career with 1001 hits. Glenallen Hill finished his with 1005.
Thanked. I was wondering that recently.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
rookieaddict said:
Thanked! I love all your DYK posts.

My quick question. Who is the shortest RHP in the HOF?

Pud Galvin and Mickey Welch were both 5'8" righthanded HOF pitchers. I think they are the shortest.

Hack Wilson was only 5'6", and I think he is the shortest member of the HOF.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
leatherman said:
rookieaddict said:
Thanked! I love all your DYK posts.

My quick question. Who is the shortest RHP in the HOF?

Pud Galvin and Mickey Welch were both 5'8" righthanded HOF pitchers. I think they are the shortest.

Hack Wilson was only 5'6", and I think he is the shortest member of the HOF.

thanks!

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
Great baseball facts man.

A few of my favorite trivia/facts.

*Frank Robinson is the only player to win the MVP in both leagues

*First Japanese player to hit a home run in MLB was Hideo Nomo

*A player is awarded a ground rule triple if the opposing teams player throws his glove at a batted ball and hits it.

*If a pitcher enters the game in the first inning with no outs before the opposing team scores and gets out of the inning without a run scored and then pitches the rest of the game without giving up a run he shall be credited with a shutout.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Therion said:
Can you name the only non-active pitcher to only have one win in his career AND pitch in the playoffs?

The answer is Billy Smith of the 1981 Astros. He won a game and then the strike happened. Then he pitched in that years playoffs and never pitched in the majors again.

Latest posts