Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OK: NOW who is the O's rep in the All-Star game?

Which Oriole will make the All-Star game?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
The first poll, Matt Wieters won fans over in April. But he just finally got above his weight in BA. A month ago it was pretty clear Ty Wigginton was going to be the rep, but he's now hitting .266 and hasn't hit a HR since 1962.

I honestly think it could be any of these 5 guys so I will list them and post their stats and then tell you who I think it's going to be.

Ty Wigginton - .266 13 HR 40 RBI - yeah the HR are attractive but he hasn't hit a HR ever since pitchers realized he was just sitting on their fastballs. What benefits him is the lack of production from the middle infield as a whole in the AL - he's still a heavy favorite to be the O's rep this year.

Nick Markakis - .306 BA .398 OBP - If this was 1986, Markakis would be an All-Star but alas 3 HR and 24 RBI are not going to get you far this day and age, even in the year of the pitcher. He still has a long shot of making the team but players like Alex Rios, Vernon Wells, and Nelson Cruz should keep him off.

Adam Jones - .271 12 HR 33 RBI - dude is raking right now, but he had such a slow start, that really affects him. Last year's All-Star "hero" still has an outside chance. Like Markakis, OF is crowded.

Luke Scott - .266 11 HR 28 RBI - I just threw him up here b/c of his home run total. It's nothing impressive but is anything on the Orioles team impressive? The one stat I think will keep him off: AVG with RISP - it's like .120, the worst in the MLB

Jason Berken - 1.66 ERA 43.1 IP 32 K - I hated this guy last year. I love him this year. He's a completely different pitcher this year and can eat innings - which he has done on numerous occasions. A month ago I say Wigginton, now I say Berken will be the O's rep - you can always use a guy that can throw 3 innings in the AS game. And honestly, who cares if anyone sees an Oriole in the midsummer classic this year? Berken is the ideal candidate.

My pick: Jason Berken

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Let's use that
prospectors.gif
properly! You don't want the wrath of the
prospectors.gif
on's to get you.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
That is eerily similar to the catch Nyjer Morgan made on Friday. About 20 feet to the lefy from where Morgan was though. Wigginton has cooled off to the point where I don't think he makes it anymore. I would like to see Markakis make it - has he ever been an All-Star? Adam Jones is definitely picking it up, and I think the smart money is on him. Berken may be the most deserving, but I think they might alienate some fans if our only representative is a pitcher who even Orioles fans might not recognize. It's a popularity contest, and Jason Berken is the president of the Debate Society.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'm really surprised at the amount of votes for Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. I don't know if it is their "star quality" but the OF in the AL is really crowded.

I can't believe no one thinks Berken will go. :cool:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
when is your boy going to hit for the cycle? if he goes on a tear, he could do it this year. this would be the year more than anything else.

miguelcabrera said:
jones is my favorite

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
It's a shame that a deserving player won't be able to go because someone from the Orioles has to be there.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
they should run a contest for the fans and let one of the fans be the representative since nobody deserves it. :lol:

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
markakis8 said:
Yep.

Sean_C said:
It's a shame that a deserving player won't be able to go because someone from the Orioles has to be there.
Yeah, boo hoo for the other mediocre players that get beat out by a stinkin' oriole.

Hoping Jones, but OF is crowded as you said.
Who knows.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
I voted Jones. I can only speak from a fantasy standpoint, but having owned both this season, Jones is the favorite. Markakis might be the steady, reliable if unspectacular guy (that I dropped from my team), but Jones has really turned it around after a rough start. The monthly splits say it all (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/781 ... JlUOWFCLcF).

On a slightly different note, I can only imagine how close we might be to having a similar discussion about the Indians. It wasn't that long ago that I was ripping on the Royals for being in the O's situation, but if Carlos Santana doesn't blossom as he appears to be doing or Choo falters, the Tribe will become an All-Star no-man's land, too.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
The Orioles and Nationals should pull off a trade for the day and have Strasburg represent the AL so he can dominate NL batters...oh wait

:lol:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
vwnut13 said:
The Orioles and Nationals should pull off a trade for the day and have Strasburg represent the AL so he can dominate NL batters...oh wait

The Yankees should pay $21 million for a 1B that bats .300...i mean...280....crap! i mean....260....nope! not yet! how about .240? nope...still not there, ok we gotta be set at .230...DANG, wtf?...ahhhh...ok, it's .229...i got ya now.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I'd rather have Teixeira than anyone on the Orioles.

markakis8 said:
vwnut13 said:

The Yankees should pay $21 million for a 1B that bats .300...i mean...280....crap! i mean....260....nope! not yet! how about .240? nope...still not there, ok we gotta be set at .230...DANG, wtf?...ahhhh...ok, it's .229...i got ya now.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
sure and pay him $21 million to hit .229. I'd rather pay Luke Scott $5 million to hit .250.

vwnut13 said:
I'd rather have Teixeira than anyone on the Orioles.

markakis8 said:
vwnut13 said:

Members online

Latest posts