Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First time selling on ebay and first problem. Please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Hi everyone. In my first experience of selling on ebay I had my first problem and I would like to see if someone could help me out. Here it goes.
I sold a couple of Jaime Garcia chrome lots on ebay and one didn't sell. I put it with a BIN and with the "payment required immediately" option, because as some of you might know I am from Mexico. I wasn't going to ship from there and I had a couple of days in Phoenix before I left for Toronto.
So, the item sold on June 22 and I required payment immediately. On Thursday I received a message from the buyer saying he would pay on Friday, he didn't. I even checked my e-mail on Saturday morning before I left for the airport and nothing. After that, I sent him the option to cancel the transaction and explained why (I won't be able to ship). I didn't have internet until now and I'm seeing he rejected the option I sent him and paid. I already refunded him, but I am no longer able to cancel the transaction because the case is closed and I didn't see where to open a new one for the same item. Is there a way to do this? or should I just proceed to give him a strike?

P.S. Sadly I'm going towards my first negative, I believe, after a couple of years, yikes.

Thanks in advance
Arturo

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
If you marked the "payment required immediately," how did the item sell on the 22nd without him paying?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Yes, the auction should stay live until paid for.

If he clicked the BIN and just didn't pay at that time, the auction would have still been active. He wouldn't have actually won it. Even though he might have thought he did.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
DWright5 said:
Yes, the auction should stay live until paid for.

If he clicked the BIN and just didn't pay at that time, the auction would have still been active. He wouldn't have actually won it. Even though he might have thought he did.

Is it the same if it was a BIN only and not an auction? Besides specifying two times in the listing, I'm pretty sure I checked the box of the option to require immediate payment.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Immediate payment is only available for BIN. Can't use it for auction.

If you had it up for auction with a BIN/Immediate payment, and it went through the auction, the Immediate Payment would not apply anymore.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I don't know what went wrong then :shock:
But now that the transaction can't be completed what would be the next step?

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
If I'm reading everything correctly, the problem is that you can't physically send him the card?

If he did not agree to cancel the transaction after hearing your reasoning, I don't see how you could warrant giving him a strike.

He won the auction, and paid for the item. It isn't his fault that you now can't send.

I probably wouldn't have left a neg on you if I was the buyer, and probably would have agreed to cancel, but it was his choice to, and he seemed adamant about it.

So you'll probably just have to eat the neg. But the buyer shouldn't get a strike just because he didn't agree to cancel.

Coachman35

Mar 31, 2010
Boston, Ma
If the buyer doesnt agree to end the auction you wont be able to get the final value fees back. I dont know how much the auction was for, but if it wasnt much then I would just let it go (sometimes these things dont end well for either party).

Just my opinion.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
DWright5 said:
If I'm reading everything correctly, the problem is that you can't physically send him the card?

If he did not agree to cancel the transaction after hearing your reasoning, I don't see how you could warrant giving him a strike.

He won the auction, and paid for the item. It isn't his fault that you now can't send.

I probably wouldn't have left a neg on you if I was the buyer, and probably would have agreed to cancel, but it was his choice to, and he seemed adamant about it.

So you'll probably just have to eat the neg. But the buyer shouldn't get a strike just because he didn't agree to cancel.

The strike would be based on the fact that he broke the contract that stated that payment will be immediately (June 22) and I bold and underlined the text in the auction that said cards will ship on the 24th. I even gave him a chance the 25th and morning of the 26th. After not paying on the 22th he said he would pay on the 24th and he didn't also.

Coachman35 said:
If the buyer doesnt agree to end the auction you wont be able to get the final value fees back. I dont know how much the auction was for, but if it wasnt much then I would just let it go (sometimes these things dont end well for either party).

Just my opinion.

Yeah, sucks. It wasn't a lot ($25), but still sucks to have to pay them.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
r2d2 said:
DWright5 said:

The strike would be based on the fact that he broke the contract that stated that payment will be immediately (June 22) and I bold and underlined the text in the auction that said cards will ship on the 24th. I even gave him a chance the 25th and morning of the 26th. After not paying on the 22th he said he would pay on the 24th and he didn't also.

Ok, I understand more now.

Unfortunately, from the other problems I read on here, Paypal doesn't always side with someone just because you put something in your description about other terms. I believe eBay has rules in their TOS about giving 3 days to pay, or something like that.

And even then, you'd have to open a dispute, which takes a couple days. During which time the person could send payment and satisfy the dispute.

So I doubt they'd side with you, just because he took 5 or so days to pay.

If it's only $25, and he gave you a neg already, you could always reply to it and give your side, just for the record. But as far as officially getting any fees or whatever back, you may be SOL.

Of course I could be totally wrong, just my observation.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
I might have missed something along the way, but why not just sell him the card ?

I understand you can't ship it right away, but in all fairness, you have about a week before you need to ship, and you could have just explained that to the buyer.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
gregbara said:
I might have missed something along the way, but why not just sell him the card ?

I understand you can't ship it right away, but in all fairness, you have about a week before you need to ship, and you could have just explained that to the buyer.

I will be away for a month :?

Members online