Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A PayPal Proposition (PayPal Gifts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Here is what I think they should do. Please note that my numbers are not set in stone (I really have no idea what they should be at precisely):
Obviously, they realize that gifts have been cutting into their bottom line. To stop the bleeding, I think that they should implement a rule. They should allow the gift function to stay (or call it something else), but change it completely. Users are permitted to send 10 (or any amount really, but probably between 5-10) fee-free payments per month that do not exceed the amount of $500 (or any amount). These payments will, however, be covered by PayPal's protection plan.

What do you guys think? I think that this will make users a lot happier, and I think that people will stop bitching about their fees (which they probably don't care about, but it will help them greatly in the event that google or another company attempts to make a big play in the online instant payment market). Also, please consider the fact that I just thought about this as I typed.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
wont happen
I'm not saying it will happen; it probably won't. It is more of a hypothetical plan. Maybe I'm wrong about how much leeway they have, but I don't think that will hurt them too bad. That should help with the gift problem.
Although, maybe they will keep those payments unprotected at the users risk. That could be a better idea.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Why would they do this? Gift payments are not under their protection plan for a reason: they're supposed to be GIFTS. When you're giving someone a gift, you shouldn't need the option to file a chargeback. Paypal couldn't care less about the fact that people use the gift option to make purchases. There's no reason for them to give away fee-less transactions to every user on a monthly basis.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Seriously.

I picture paypal inventing the "gift" function for things like parents sending kids in college money, paying fantasy league dues, paying for softball league uniforms, ect.......you know mundane tasks that would make it easy to transfer money, thus making people to create accounts and then perhaps in the future using it more in situations where paypal would actually create revenue.

Why in the world would they let you transfer $500 a month?

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
That is just a flat-out bonehead idea....do you realize that companies exist to turn a profit?

If you want to give away your product or service you do so to reward your loyal customers. Subway doesn't give you the first five subs of the month free. However, if you buy enough subs you will eventually be rewarded with a free one.

Perhaps a much better idea for Paypal is to provide discounts to high volume customers.

trademhigh said:
Here is what I think they should do. Please note that my numbers are not set in stone (I really have no idea what they should be at precisely):
Obviously, they realize that gifts have been cutting into their bottom line. To stop the bleeding, I think that they should implement a rule. They should allow the gift function to stay (or call it something else), but change it completely. Users are permitted to send 10 (or any amount really, but probably between 5-10) fee-free payments per month that do not exceed the amount of $500 (or any amount). These payments will, however, be covered by PayPal's protection plan.

What do you guys think? I think that this will make users a lot happier, and I think that people will stop bitching about their fees (which they probably don't care about, but it will help them greatly in the event that google or another company attempts to make a big play in the online instant payment market). Also, please consider the fact that I just thought about this as I typed.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Which they do. Here's the chart for discounts off the fee rate:

$0.00 USD - $3,000.00 USD 2.9% + $0.30 USD
$3,000.01 USD - $10,000.00 USD 2.5% + $0.30 USD
$10,000.01 USD - $100,000.00 USD 2.2% + $0.30 USD
> $100,000.00 USD 1.9% + $0.30 USD

(numbers are in total monthly payments received)

muchuckwagon said:
That is just a flat-out bonehead idea....do you realize that companies exist to turn a profit?

If you want to give away your product or service you do so to reward your loyal customers. Subway doesn't give you the first five subs of the month free. However, if you buy enough subs you will eventually be rewarded with a free one.

Perhaps a much better idea for Paypal is to provide discounts to high volume customers.

trademhigh said:

Members online

Latest posts