Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dazzy Vance auto ball help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
holy Crap!!! Gilmore, please resize these!

Hey there... a friend came across this ball below... it is signed on the sweet spot by Dazzy Vance. I believe it dates from 1933-34 as Dazzy Vance only played for the Cardinals in '34... I tried my best to identify all of the sigs, as the Cards were chock full of HOF's in this era. They won the World Series in 1934 (Gashouse Gang).

I think I've identified Frankie Frisch's auto (Player Manager) but it is too tough to see unless in person. Photos will show Joe Medwick and Pepper Martin sig's as well as Ernie Orsatti (non-HOF). I should have stopped there, and would have definitely ID'd the ball as a World Series Champs 1934 ball. However, I believe I also found a Bob O'Farrell sig. He played with the Card's in 1933. Looking at the roster for 1933 I determined one other obscure signature is Ethan Allen also 1933 team... So I think it may be a spring training ball or hybrid Cards ball... too bad that there are sigs that just can't be read, because Hornsby and Dizzy Dean would have been great to see too.

Anyway, does anyone know the approximate value of a Dazzy Vance auto'd ball, or considering the rough look of the rest of the ball should it be promoted as a Cardinals team ball? Unfortunately there are a few nicks on it where it looks like it hit a sidewalk (Frisch's sig) so it was obviously played with a little after it was signed. The Dazzy Vance side looks awesome, and I suspect it would display best that way.

There aren't any Dazzy Vance balls on Ebay to compare against it. Any insight would be appreicated. Also, I really like the vintage red & black laces. Any info on when they were used in the NL would be useful as well. I sure hope the photos show up, as I just signed up for the pic hosting site. Thanks for reading!

Pepper Martin

Official National League Ball

Joe Medwick

dinodak

Oct 12, 2008
From some auction results I quickly looked up, I would put this ball in the $800-1500 range.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
The ball would need to be authenticated by JSA or PSA/DNA for it to realize it's maximum value. I'm guessing it would cost about $125 - $150 depending on how many signatures are on it in total, but it would be worth it.

Members online

Latest posts