Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My FIRST Vintage Set -1960 Topps PSA 7 Updated 7/12/2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hello all,

I have made the decision to go after a vintage set in PSA 7 form. I have been mostly a "prospector" for the last 10 years or so, and felt it was time for a new challenge. After a couple of days leaning back and forth, I have decided that the 1960 Topps set was going to be my new conquest.

I have bid on a few auctions tonight. I will update this post with wins if they happen :)

Have a great night

Skrip

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Re: My FIRST Vintage Set Attempt - 1960 Topps PSA 7

I started off with a BANG tonight, adding my first NINE cards!!

I will add scans when they come in.

skriph

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

Excellent choice. Sounds like you are off to a great start, too. Good luck in your quest!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

Great choice on the 60' Topps set, Skrip! Good luck and I will be checking this thread quite often to see the updates :cool:

That is the set that I am working on (raw/lowgrade) and I think it will look fantastic in my binder when it's completed. Should have a few dozen more in within a couple weeks!

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota

I don't have any graded except a psa 8 killebrew, pascual, and a psa 7 b.robinson, but I've got a ton of doubles from my set, so if I get to psa I might be able to help with some. my set is mostly EXMT so I don't know how many NM 7 or betters i'd get out of them, but I'm willing to help out if I can

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

Its going to take a lot of patience to complete a high grade vintage set. Took me 3 1/2 years to complete my Topps '55 set in PSA 7 or better. I am currently working on the '56 set as we speak which I started well over a year ago. I only have 84 cards out of the 342 cards that complete the set. You will hit some emotional highs and lows throughout your journey and there will be times that you want to quit and sell the half set. If you stay true to what you want to accomplish and see it through you will enjoy the trip and when its complete you will look back in awe.

The High numbers in that set especially the ALL STARS are very difficult to find in high grade due to poor centering! I will eventually get to that set after I finish the 56', 57', 58', and 59' sets. :D

Great start to a wonderful ride! The 1960 set is beautiful. I really like the sideways format. I am partial to the '54, 55', and 56' sets!

Really wish Topps would do the 2011 set in that format. I think it would be nice.

Good luck!

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Re: My FIRST Vintage Set -1960 Topps PSA 7 Updated 7/1/2010

Good choice & good luck! The first ones are beauties !

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Re: My FIRST Vintage Set -1960 Topps PSA 7 Updated 7/4/2010

Baller, congrats on the great start. I am going to be starting my first vintage set soon and was just curious your theory on why you chose to go with some of the lesser stars instead of going for some of the bigger names first. Was it more availablity, price, or maybe some of your favorite players first? Thanks and best of luck.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

Exposfan said:
Baller, congrats on the great start. I am going to be starting my first vintage set soon and was just curious your theory on why you chose to go with some of the lesser stars instead of going for some of the bigger names first. Was it more availablity, price, or maybe some of your favorite players first? Thanks and best of luck.

Well there are a couple of reasons why I started the way I did. One, I feel like it will help me keep the interest if there are always some of the bigger cards out there to pursue. Plus, I am trying to find sellers who are selling multiple cards that I need to save on shipping. So, I have targeted those sellers, and max out the savings that I can.

Not sure if it is the best way to go, but so far, it is working for me :)

Good luck on yours! What set are you going to do?

skrip

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI

1954 Topps.

Its way out of my budget, so it will take awhile, therefore the chase will always be there. It has just about every single player I could imagine being in a HOF/ Vintage set. Hank Aaron RC, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, 2 Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Ernie Banks RC, AL Kaline Rc... to name a few.
I am just having a problem deciding where to start, commons in high grade, stars/rc's in low grade, I have been pricing some cards out for the past couple of months so I have an idea of pricing. I am also looking for alternative places of buying as I am sure Ebay will only take me so far.

Thanks for the info and Good luck.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas

Exposfan said:
...I am just having a problem deciding where to start, commons in high grade, stars/rc's in low grade...

I would advise against that strategy. If for some reason you had to sell, which cards would a potential buyer look at first? Do you think he cares that your Ray Jablonski is a PSA 6 with good color and centering? No. He's going to look at the Snider, Berra and Robinson etc. Why do you like the set? It's probably not because of the commons, its the stars. I know its more expensive to get quality star cards but I believe you will make a better investment and ultimately be happier if you spent extra on the star cards, not the commons.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI

Sam, that's echoing the sentinments of the wife when I showed her some of the auctions I was looking at. Get the Aaron, Spahn, and Mathews first because those are the main reasons for picking the set.
Right now my eyes are bigger than my wallet for the stars of the set, that's why I was looking at some of the lesser cards first.

Members online