Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone ever had a break like I had with A&G?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I busted a case of A&G I received yesterday. WORST break I have ever had or seen!

Of the 12 boxes I opened, 3 did not have either an autograph or relic pieces. 1 box had 1 relic piece (bat card), 3 boxes had 2 relic pieces (no silk or rip card), 3 boxes had 3 relic pieces (no silk or rip card), and 2 boxes had an auto and 2 relic pieces (no silk or rip card). I did not receive a bazooka back mini /25. only 1 nno mini card, and no celestial card. Only 2 auto's out of 7 that should have been inserted into the case. No auto's or relics on the N43 and cabinet cards either.

I have had bad breaks before, but not this bad. I busted a case of A&G last year and didn't receive a rip card, but my lcs contacted Topps and it was sent to me. In last years case I did receive a red auto /10. and some other short printed auto's. No SP's this year. I pulled an Adam Lind auto, and a Polanco auto. That's it???????

As I mentioned in the other thread about what everyone did while the server was down, my only option is to send the contents of the entire case back to Topps. But will that be the correct decision?

Can anyone comment on the direction I should proceed?

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
hoopster3977 said:
Can anyone comment on the direction I should proceed?

Save all the boxes/wrappers and call Topps yourself?

Sorry about the break, but it does happen. Collation isn't perfect.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Ginter is a risk year after year, thats not excuse to short you on hits but do yourself a favor and dont expect much from topps they very may well send you bottom of the barrel players since no where does it guarantee value or huge hits, hell they dont even guarentee the amount of autographs you should get so more than likely they will send you several 4$ bat cards.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
That sucks, but not surprising to hear.

I think it's an issue of random collation.

I've had boxes with as high as 7 hits and as low as 1 hit.

Looks like you got a case with 9-10 shorted boxes in it, rare, but not impossible.

I'm sure topps can help you out.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
brouthercard said:

Looks like you got a case with 9-10 shorted boxes in it, rare, but not impossible.

The more that I read, the more that I think that this isn't close to a *random* collation issue.

This is a BAD collation issue.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
pigskincardboard said:
brouthercard said:

The more that I read, the more that I think that this isn't close to a *random* collation issue.

This is a BAD collation issue.

When a product doesnt deliver the hits it's supposed to it IS an issue. I would surely raise a ruckus!

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't be a dick when contacting them, but be firm when you call them and let them know you're not happy at all as someone who's been a long time costumer buying volume.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Did you maybe get a rip card and not notice, I was over at a buddies house on Thursday and he was like
Damn only 2 hits in this box and then this card Numbered to /99 on the front. I looked at it and and then turned it over
and it said Rip on the back they are not much thicker then the regular cards if your flipping through them fast I even missed it the first time.

Not saying this is the case but look again you may have some of what your missing. LOL

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
pigskincardboard said:
I'd be curious to learn of their official seeding practices because I've stopped buying their sealed products completely.

This is really the only way to get any message across to Topps. If someone in the position of the original poster continues to buy or support Topps products, then the company has absolutely zero incentive to improve its seeding, collation, or customer service.

Way to vote with your feet. I wish more people would have the conviction or willpower to do the same.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This might be a stupid question b/c I don't know if it's been released yet, but that sounds like a retail case. Could that have been the scenario?

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
pigskincardboard said:
I'd be curious to learn of their official seeding practices because I've stopped buying their sealed products completely.
I just went through the whole case just now. No celestial card (1 per case). no myth card mini (1 per case) and no rip or silk. I couldn't even make a master set. I'm short two schetch cards, #'s 6&7

I was able to buy 4 boxes from my lcs, and still can't make a set of 440. I was even shorted an auto in one of the boxes also. It's seems Topps has a real collation problem.

I'm calling Topps Tuesday morning.

I bought the case through Blowout. I will post whatever information I receive.

Thanks everyone. This forum seems to be the best for updated hobby information.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
markakis8 said:
This might be a stupid question b/c I don't know if it's been released yet, but that sounds like a retail case. Could that have been the scenario?
The case I received from Blowout was a pre-sale. Paid $1140, so it had better not had been a retail case. I almost got trapped buying retail on Ebay when the boxes were going for $56 per box. That really doesn't seem that bad of a price since the odds are the same as hobby, except only 1 relic or auto. But it sure seems odd.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
hoopster3977 said:
markakis8 said:
The case I received from Blowout was a pre-sale. Paid $1140, so it had better not had been a retail case. I almost got trapped buying retail on Ebay when the boxes were going for $56 per box. That really doesn't seem that bad of a price since the odds are the same as hobby, except only 1 relic or auto. But it sure seems odd.

Yeah I thought the odds of it being retail were slim. If you got it from blowout, then it's hobby.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Can someone point me to where it guarantees autographs? Cause I thought they only guarantee 3 "hits" which most of the time is 3 crap bat cards.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
nyc3 said:
Can someone point me to where it guarantees autographs? Cause I thought they only guarantee 3 "hits" which most of the time is 3 crap bat cards.

That's all it does say, although the missing Rip Card would piss me off:

Look for (3) Hits per box!!
Each Hobby Box contains a combination of any THREE of the following cards: Autograph, Cut Signature, Relic, Rip, or Printing Plate!! Every box also contains one Box Loader!!

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE RIP CARDS - 1 Per Case!

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
According to the sell sheets on the sites (Atlanta, DA, etc.), these are the only ones with actual odds. They are probably the only ones Topps will listen to a complaint about. All the other ones just say what they are numbered to, so they wouldn't be guaranteed in any amount.

COMBINED INSERTION RATE FOR Autograph/Relic/Printing Plate/Cut Signature/Rip* Cards - THREE per Box!
HOBBY EXCLUSIVE RIP CARDS - 1 Per Case!
- Allen & Ginter Black (350) - Inserted 1:10 packs!
- Allen & Ginter Back (350) - Inserted 1:5 packs!
- NEW! Lords of Olympus (25) - 1:12 Packs!
- NEW! Monsters of the Mesozoic (25) - 1:12 Packs!
- NEW! World's Greatest Wordsmiths (15) - 1:24 Packs!
- NEW! National Animals (50) - 1:8 Packs!
- NEW! Sailors of the Seven Seas (10) - 1:24 Packs!

So, essentially, they could give you a box with just these inserts, following the insertion rates, plus your 3 "Hits" (3 cheap GU cards), and they would fulfill their numbers.

You wouldn't need to get a Bazooka, No#, Cloth, even an Auto, etc. in the whole case, and they would be able to say it is all a collation difference.

There would be no basis for a complaint on their end.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
markakis8 said:
hoopster3977 said:
markakis8 said:

Yeah I thought the odds of it being retail were slim. If you got it from blowout, then it's hobby.
It states the odds on the back of the wrapper. Framed Auto's 1/40pks, Framed Relics, 1/11 pks.
The sell sheet stated that each box would have 3 pieces, either framed relic, framed auto, rip card.

Latest posts