Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cano drops out of HR derby!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Good call.

Maybe he read our thread about how it could end up hurting him. Mo out of AS game as closer too.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
gt2590 said:
Good call.

Maybe he read our thread about how it could end up hurting him. Mo out of AS game as closer too.

yep, Soriano took his spot

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Smart move. This reminds me of Abreu in '06, when he should've bowed out of the HR Derby. He didn't play ANYWHERE near what he did in the first half of the year :(

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
O my I cant believe people actually think that the homerun derby could ruin a players second half....I'm sure players goof around with theyre swings at practice and what not...hows the HR Derby any different..Its all in your mind and if a players second half isnt as good as the first because they were in the HR Derby...blame it on them not the HR Derby...Ive always thought that was the biggest load of crap

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
He could have just gone up and lost in the first round like he probably would have and at least could say he was part of the all star festivities. I think Ortiz should withdraw too since he was actually hitting homeruns before the break.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
always want to see contact hitters take a shot at it. really like to see what Ichiro could do in the derby as he is golden in BP at any park (that Ive seen)

one or 2 "power" hitters each year screw up horribly, getting 0 or 1.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
cjb9421 said:
O my I cant believe people actually think that the homerun derby could ruin a players second half....I'm sure players goof around with theyre swings at practice and what not...hows the HR Derby any different..Its all in your mind and if a players second half isnt as good as the first because they were in the HR Derby...blame it on them not the HR Derby...Ive always thought that was the biggest load of crap

People are morons and I stopped arguing when someone said I didn't understand because I hadn't played high-level ball.

With the statistics that we have now, there's no need to make up non-sense justifications for second-half drop-offs any longer. Muscle memory isn't formed in a day and anything you can do in 100AB, you can undo as well. There's only one thing that can screw up your swing and that's a failure to stretch prior to golfing the ball out of the park. Strained muscles will certainly screw up your swing, so..uh... stretch. The derby is nothing more than a scapegoat and many players have said that it doesn't do squat anyways...

If you go out and practice hitting bunker shots for a couple hours, does your swing off the tee suffer? Maybe for 5-10 practice shots. Everyone's been to the driving range and spend 30 minutes not hitting golf balls, but hammering the piss out of them, yet does their actual swing suffer for more than 5 shots afterwards? Naw.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
55_marlins_sp said:
Smart move. This reminds me of Abreu in '06, when he should've bowed out of the HR Derby. He didn't play ANYWHERE near what he did in the first half of the year :(
that had nothing to do w/ his performance in the second half of the year

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Cano's currently hitting .337.
ZiPS predicts that Cano will hit .308 for the rest of the season
and finish with a .323 Average.
It also figures around 11 more Dingers. He is hitting a career high HR/FB afterall.

Anyways, the point is that Cano will regress unless he has one of those outlier-type seasons. If he hit in the HR, it'd certainly be blamed on that. I'm sure NY will figure out something else to blame it on anyways.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
Yankees actually removed him from the Derby without asking him, he didnt find out until he looked online and saw the news.

The skirt still stays..

Members online

No members online now.