Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cool or Weird?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Someone on BMB posted this.

its Drew Locke

Would you have your favorite player pose with your cards?

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
Weird.

"Here Mr. Ripken,

I have 5000 cardboard based images of you, some which include small squares of your batting practice jerseys and some of the million autographs you have signed in your lifetime. 200 are real 1/1's! Will you hold those for a photo?"

Yeah, weird.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Not really that weird. It's a good way to show your favorite player that you are really a fan of his, and not just some dude trying to get autos at games, granted that's really the end game. However, if I was a player, I would think its kinda cool that somebody out there collects my cards.

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
Weird...Honestly I dont let anyone know I deal with cards...If i'm at agame im not worryin about prospects cards i'm too busy prospecting the women haha...forget that bringin cards to a game crap.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey, these guys know that people collect baseball cards of them. And I betcha they know that its just not little kids either. Its just baseball cards, not you asking for their jockstrap. Not a big deal.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I would. And if I could pose w/JJ AND JJ's card, that'd be a moment to remember forever.

Plus, he could always say, "I never wanna play in Minnesota, because of my insane fan I met w/all those trading cards back in .... "

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Not weird necessarily. Just different. I'd be happy just to get a snapshot of me with the player. That would mean more to me than a pic of him holding some random cards I own.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Superfractor said:
I don't understand why it would be weird? If you're ashamed of what you enjoy: I feel sorry for you. Hoping to get Iannetta with his superfractor, soon.

There are actually quite a few people who are embarrassed to collect cards or autos and there are even more people out there who consider themselves "normal" and try to make others feel embarrassed for their hobby. I say do whatever the hell you want(within legal limits of course) and to hell with everyone else. There is always going to be people out there who try to down talk your hobby. They are either jealous or just don't understand. Its not your problem to help them in either case.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:
I don't understand why it would be weird? If you're ashamed of what you enjoy: I feel sorry for you. Hoping to get Iannetta with his superfractor, soon.

There are actually quite a few people who are embarrassed to collect cards or autos and there are even more people out there who consider themselves "normal" and try to make others feel embarrassed for their hobby. I say do whatever the hell you want(within legal limits of course) and to hell with everyone else. There is always going to be people out there who try to down talk your hobby. They are either jealous or just don't understand. Its not your problem to help them in either case.

I can understand that, but it won't change my emotions towards those that let others frown upon something of theirs, that has no intrinsic wrong-doing.

I agree, to hell with them.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:

I can understand that, but it won't change my emotions towards those that let others frown upon something of theirs, that has no intrinsic wrong-doing.

yeah, thats basically how I feel. I play chess and collect cards, which in most circles would make me lame. but I dont care... not one bit. those 2 things make me happy, and I think a lot of people that ****** on everyone elses hobby doesnt have much that makes them happy.
hiding a hobby or passion might be worse than not having one at all.

if I had a player collection going and met that player I might do the same. it would be a cool picture to put on the wall: all that hard trading/buying work payed off and to see the pricey collection youve done right under the guy who youre a fan of would be cool.
Id probably just get a normal picture of me + the player, but I see nothing wrong with it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Superfractor said:
predatorkj said:
Superfractor said:

Yeah but trust me...it can make your life a living hell. Its why I don't talk about it at work or amongst my "normal" friends. In fact its why I have very few "normal" friends left. I'd just as soon not hear any s--t about it. And its hard for your friends not to find out unless they never come over or just aren't around you that much. I got tired of the smartass remarks. A lot of people do. Some people just clam up though and totally shut down and won't talk about it.

Members online

No members online now.