Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

List the top 10 most important rookie cards in last 20 yrs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Good topic and I know I can't come up with 10 but here's a few.

-1990 Leaf Frank Thomas
-1992 Bowman Mike Piazza
-1993 SP Derek Jeter
-1994 SP Alex Rodriguez
-2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
I would call the most "important" rookie cards of the last 20 years as a whole different animal than the "best" rookie cards of the last 20 years. To me, important means they had an impact on the hobby that changed or altered the way we looked at collecting.

In no particular order:

1997 Bowman Chrome - Jose Cruz Jr., Kerry Wood, and Travis Lee.

I think these cards really started to fuel the prospecting desire. An entire set full of "unknown" players that exploded onto the scene. These cards were hot and virtually impossible to track down unless you were a frequent internet shopper. Packs were going for insane prices.

2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols Autograph

The origin of an on card rookie with the base set design and chrome overlay just happened to coincide with the best hitter of our generation to create a buzz that propelled the design style and sequential numbering craze into full bloom. It's really hard to understate what this card has done for the hobby today. It fuels Bowman induced dreams to this very day of the next breakout hall of fame player to catch fire and justify the exorbitant amounts of money we spend on the "next big thing".

1992 Topps Brien Taylor Autograph

Prior to this card, it was usually Hall of Fame players inserted into sets to really draw collectors into buying complete sets to bust. I would almost give that credit to the Michael Jordan SP in 1991 UD sets, but I just can't consider that a real attempt at a RC. In a day when Autograph cards were unusual in and of themselves, this card of an unproven but destined for greatness prospect really changed the scope.

1992 Topps Traded Nomar Garciaparra XRC OLY

The idea of an XRC had kind of faded into obscurity until this release really brought back the interest in Olympic RC back to the fore. The 85 set had the big McGwire hit, but the 88 and 91 releases didn't really have a "name", unless you count the fleeting Tino Martinez hype or the eventual Jason Giambi resurgence. Neither had the pop and sizzle that this card had when it first showed up on the scene in Boston. Nomar mania drove this card to insane prices.

1993 SP Derek Jeter RC

The first "ultra premium" RC that carried a big stick. Followed the next year by the Alex Rodriguez, these cards were THE cards to have right away. Limited print run, high SRP, and a departure away from the typical 90's ideology of quantity over quality. This card laid the ground work for the ultra expensive releases of today. And the idea that rookies were included into a premium set, to this point, hadn't really been realized.

2004 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor 1/1 Felix Hernandez

Unless I am mistaken, this was the most sought after player in the first "superfractor" like set in modern existence. This 1/1 technology ushered in a new era of Bowman. From this day forward, the chase was on. I can't remember if the AFLAC set predated this one or not from a 1/1 standpoint.

1990 Leaf Frank Thomas RC

One of the most iconic sets of all time. Not quite an "ultra premium" set, but still a very impressive venture by the standards of the day. These cards were embraced and to this very day the set still evokes images.

2004 Donruss Elite Phil Hughes AU RC

Donruss sets the stage for unlicensed prospect cards having staying power in the new climate which eventually makes MLB licensing not a death knell for card companies. The elite series really remains one of the VERY strong prospect sets every year.

And I am spent.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
Personally these come to mind....

90 Topps Frank Thomas No Name
89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey JR
84 Topps Mark Mcgwire
90 Leaf Sammy Sosa
01 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols
94 SP Alex Rodriguez
All of this years Strasburgs

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
cwells46 said:

85 Topps Mark Mcgwire
90 Leaf Sammy Sosa
94 SP Alex Rodriguez

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
darrend505 said:
cwells46 said:

85 Topps Mark Mcgwire
90 Leaf Sammy Sosa
94 SP Alex Rodriguez

So many of those sell for so little now, it is amazing.

The Thomas Error Card still sells well though - [phil:37x4cdh2]220627109558[/phil:37x4cdh2]

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Vagrant said:

Would we call that a RC though since he already had an appearance in the base set and gold parallel before the auto was released?

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Well seeing that it is 2010 the Griffey and McGwire can't be on the list. Not going by what they are worth currently, but by the shear buzz they generated at the time in no order:

1990 Leaf Frank Thomas
1992 Bowman Mike Piazza
2007 Name your player with the new manditory RC LOGO
2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols auto
2001 Ultimate Collection Ichiro auto
2001 Pros & Prospects Mark Prior auto
1997 Bowman Chrome Kerry Wood and Hideki Irabu
1994 SP Alex Rodriguez
1992 Topps Traded Nomar Garciaparra
2010 Bowman Stephen Strasburg

Good thread. I can think of many others, but you only asked for 10

~AJ

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Very good list by Vagrant, but I would make the following changes.

1992 Bowman Piazza: this was the card that launched the Bowman brand from an inferior quality secondary product to a sought after brand specializing in rookie cards. The fact that this was one of the few sets with Piazza marked Bowman as the home of rookie card.

1994 SP Alex Rodriguez: Though the 93 Jeter was a hot card it was the ARod that had collectors ripping boxes of the first Phenom slugger since Griffey.

1995 Bowman Chrome Andruw Jones: The Jones, Rolen, and Vlad cards launched Bowman Chrome and established it as the premier brand for rookie cards. Also serves as the first set where refractor rookies became a sought after premium.

1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars J.D. Drew: A hot card that showed shortprinting a rookie card can drive prices and demand. The forerunner of making rookies shortprinted in most major sets.

2007 Bowman Chrome Jobs Chamberlain: Paved the way for $100 plus base rookie autos in Chrome and helped attract many new prospect speculators.

2010 Bowman Autograph Stephen Strasburg: Perhaps the card that will reinvigorate the hobby and bring lost collectors. Also likely to be the card that helps manufacturers realize it makes more sense to use a phenom's rookies to carry an entire year's products rather than an end of year specialty release such as Bowman Draft.

Agree with the 1990 Leaf Thomas, 1992 Taylor, 2004 Felix 1/1, and 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Philip J. Fry said:
Vagrant said:

Would we call that a RC though since he already had an appearance in the base set and gold parallel before the auto was released?

Very interesting. I suppose in the purest sense, that wouldn't be a RC at all. I had always just associated it with being one. I remember as a young kid in NC salivating over that card with a few buddies of mine.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Why do flops always get mentioned? 92 Topps Brien Taylor, 97 BC Travis Lee, etc.

That would be like putting Waterworld or an obscure cult film on a list of top 10 movies of the past 20 years

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
darocker80 said:
1. Albert Pujols Bowman Chrome Auto RC
2. Ken Griffey UD RC
3. David Wright Bowman Chrome Auto RC (Parallels)
;)

That's 22 years old there Ken ;)

The ones that immediately come to mind:

1990 Frank Thomas NNO
2001 BC Pujols
2001 Topps Ichiro
1994 SP A-Rod
1992 Bowman Piazza
1995 Bowman's Best Andruw Jones/Vladimir Guerrero (tough to choose which one)
2010 Bowman Stephen Strasburg
2001 UD P&P Mark Prior
1997 Bowman Chrome Kerry Wood
1994 SP Derek Jeter

This is just my opinion, though I see some of these are shared by others.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
JoshHamilton said:
Why do flops always get mentioned? 92 Topps Brien Taylor, 97 BC Travis Lee, etc.

That would be like putting Waterworld or an obscure cult film on a list of top 10 movies of the past 20 years

If we use the auto as an example of his RC, then it's important because it's the first prospect auto produced by a major company (Topps/UD/Donruss). And if he was successful, we would have seen more of those a lot sooner than 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Wood, Lee, Cruz Jr., Taylor, Aasodorian & Prior all generated HUGE interest and were all very important, they all simply just collapsed. IMO they're just as important as Pujols, Ichiro and Stras.

To exclude flops would be to say that important only means long-term profit or continued positive hobby interest. I look at the question as "top 10 RCs that garnered the greatest hobby interest".

Philip J. Fry said:
JoshHamilton said:

If we use the auto as an example of his RC, then it's important because it's the first prospect auto produced by a major company (Topps/UD/Donruss). And if he was successful, we would have seen more of those a lot sooner than 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
James52411 said:

1992 Bowman Piazza: this was the card that launched the Bowman brand from an inferior quality secondary product to a sought after brand specializing in rookie cards. The fact that this was one of the few sets with Piazza marked Bowman as the home of rookie card.

1994 SP Alex Rodriguez: Though the 93 Jeter was a hot card it was the ARod that had collectors ripping boxes of the first Phenom slugger since Griffey.

1995 Bowman Chrome Andruw Jones: The Jones, Rolen, and Vlad cards launched Bowman Chrome and established it as the premier brand for rookie cards. Also serves as the first set where refractor rookies became a sought after premium.

1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars J.D. Drew: A hot card that showed shortprinting a rookie card can drive prices and demand. The forerunner of making rookies shortprinted in most major sets.

2007 Bowman Chrome Jobs Chamberlain: Paved the way for $100 plus base rookie autos in Chrome and helped attract many new prospect speculators.

2010 Bowman Autograph Stephen Strasburg: Perhaps the card that will reinvigorate the hobby and bring lost collectors. Also likely to be the card that helps manufacturers realize it makes more sense to use a phenom's rookies to carry an entire year's products rather than an end of year specialty release such as Bowman Draft.

Agree with the 1990 Leaf Thomas, 1992 Taylor, 2004 Felix 1/1, and 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols.

Sorry, James, but 1995 was Bowman's Best and NOT Bowman Chrome. And, if I'm not mistaken, the year before that, there was a Ruben Rivera Bowman's Best refractor that did stupid money.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Crash Davis said:
James52411 said:

Sorry, James, but 1995 was Bowman's Best and NOT Bowman Chrome. And, if I'm not mistaken, the year before that, there was a Ruben Rivera Bowman's Best refractor that did stupid money.

Was Rivera in the Bowman Best?? I thought he was only in Bowman????

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
Crash Davis said:
James52411 said:

He had one of those "Mirror Image" dual cards with somebody. It may have been Chipper Jones, I forget.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
gwynn5453l4u said:
Crash Davis said:
James52411 said:

!B)JV7YQB2k~$(KGrHqJ,!i4Ev1+z1OkBBMMN8!o8kQ~~_12.jpg
!B),!zwwBGk~$(KGrHqEOKjsEwOiU1!IQBMNUNmLjRw~~_3.jpg

Members online

Latest posts