Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why must SP pitch 5 innings for win?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
In today's Giants game Zito pitched 4.2 innings gave up 2 runs and left the game with the Giants up 6-2. He got a ND. Runzler comes in gets 2 outs and gets a win. How come a SP has to pitch 5 innings to get a win? I understand if a SP doesn't get out of the first or second inning but this example makes it look silly.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Because it is an official game after 5 full innings so that is why.
and if the reliever got 2 outs that inning then the staring pitcher only pitched 4.1
since each out is 1/3 of the inning .

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Pine Tar said:
Because it is an official game after 5 full innings so that is why.
and if the reliever got 2 outs that inning then the staring pitcher only pitched 4.1
since each out is 1/3 of the inning .

There were 2 relievers in between Zito and Runzler that each pitched .1 innigns.

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
I believe that technically the starter does not have to go five, but where he does not, awarding the win is at the scorer's discretion. This is necessary because in a game like the Milwaukee-SF one today, the starter who left with the subsequently unrelinquished lead would be the pitcher of record but ineligible for the win, and the pitcher who finished the fifth inning would automatically receive it.

In a situation like today's, where Denny Bautista finished the fifth with 1/3 of an inning, 2 hits, a walk, and a run, you would be awarding the win to a reliever who was less deserving than the starter.

In my opinion it's a poor scoring decision that resulted in Zito not getting the win today, but baseball scorers are pretty traditional and rigid.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
A better question is...

Why is it referred to 4.1 when a pitcher pitches 4 innings plus an out? I'm no Archimedes, but four and a third should be 4.3333333333 innings? If there were four outs per inning I would find it hard to believe that pitching 4 innings plus two outs would be 4.2 instead of 4.5.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
A better question is...

Why is it referred to 4.1 when a pitcher pitches 4 innings plus an out? I'm no Archimedes, but four and a third should be 4.3333333333 innings? If there were four outs per inning I would find it hard to believe that pitching 4 innings plus two outs would be 4.2 instead of 4.5.

I've always wondered the same thing. Would 4 innings + 2 outs be 4.6666?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
This shouldn't be up for debate...

Every starting pitcher SHOULD pitch at least 5 innings every start. This is not saying that some starters have their bad starts in which they just can't get out but think about it.....let's just say the average SP throws 100 pitches to get 5+ innings they should average 20 pitches/inning which is actually on the high side for # of pitches for an inning. If a starter is getting rocked and is throwing a lot of pitches because of it then well he won't go 5 and doesn't deserve a win. If they are pitching well and getting outs then there is no reason for a pitcher NOT to go 5+ innings and he will be deserving of a win. (Also what Pine Tar said; 5+ innings = official game)

Why didn't Zito pitch 5 innings today is he only had 2 ER?

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
OR, better yet, if pitching less than an inning is recording a whole out and not a fraction of an inning (i.e. 1 instead of .333), then why record innings for pitchers at all? Why isn't a complete game a 27? 4.333 innings should be a 13.

Zito insisted on walking or surrendering a hit to approximately 50% of the batters he faced, or he would have easily picked up a win.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
scotty21690 said:
This shouldn't be up for debate...

Every starting pitcher SHOULD pitch at least 5 innings every start. This is not saying that some starters have their bad starts in which they just can't get out but think about it.....let's just say the average SP throws 100 pitches to get 5+ innings they should average 20 pitches/inning which is actually on the high side for # of pitches for an inning. If a starter is getting rocked and is throwing a lot of pitches because of it then well he won't go 5 and doesn't deserve a win. If they are pitching well and getting outs then there is no reason for a pitcher NOT to go 5+ innings and he will be deserving of a win. (Also what Pine Tar said; 5+ innings = official game)

Why didn't Zito pitch 5 innings today is he only had 2 ER?

Easy there big guy. I was just wondering why a starter had to go 5 but a reliever doesn't.

cvn66

Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Here us the MLB rule for determining the winning pitcher

10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or
(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies.
Rule 10.17(a) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning pitcher is concerned. Once the opposing team assumes the lead, all pitchers who have pitched up to that point and have been replaced are excluded from being credited with the victory. If the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher.
(b) If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed
(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense, or
(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher, if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer?s judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher.
Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher?s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.
(c) The official scorer shall not credit as the winning pitcher a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when at least one succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain its lead. In such a case, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the succeeding relief pitcher who was most effective, in the judgment of the official scorer.
Rule 10.17(c) Comment: The official scorer generally should, but is not required to, consider the appearance of a relief pitcher to be ineffective and brief if such relief pitcher pitches less than one inning and allows two or more earned runs to score (even if such runs are charged to a previous pitcher). Rule 10.17(b) Comment provides guidance on choosing the winning pitcher from among several succeeding relief pitchers.
(d) A losing pitcher is a pitcher who is responsible for the run that gives the winning team a lead that the winning team does not relinquish.
Rule 10.17(d) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the losing pitcher is concerned.
(e) A league may designate a non-championship game (for example, the Major League All-Star Game) for which Rules 10.17(a)(1) and 10.17(b) do not apply. In such games, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has attained a commanding lead and the official scorer concludes that a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit as the winning pitcher.

Basically - the only way for the starter to get the win in a 9 inning game is to pitch 5 innings, leave with the lead and not have his team lose the lead. The scorer can only award a win in his discretion to a reliever.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
A better question is...

I believe that after the decimal it is no longer innings but outs instead.

Therefore if a pitcher goes 6.1 innings it would actually be 6 innings and 1 out if that makes sense...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts