Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Reds: Contenders or Pretenders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
My extreme dislike borderline hatred for Baker might skew my opinion but I think they're pretenders. I do have a man crush on Votto though. That man is a beast. I also really like seeing the resurgence of Rolan. I don't think the Wild Card will be coming out of the Central this year either so do the Reds have what it takes to win the Division?

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
yes stubbs bruce votto rolen phillips are all studs offensively
arroyo is having an ok year
harrang is having a really good year
and we all know what mike leake can do
to me that is contention

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
jetsrule4 said:
yes stubbs bruce votto rolen phillips are all studs offensively
arroyo is having an ok year
harrang is having a really good year
and we all know what mike leake can do
to me that is contention

I forgot about Leake! I'm concerned about his arm though. He has never thrown big league innings and Baker doesn't exactly have a great track record in that department.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
I think the Reds have to be contenders.

The Reds don't even have to make a deadline deal to add a nice piece to their rotation, as they have Edinson Volquez due back soon(rehabbing in AAA right now). The combination of a huge breakout for Joey Votto, and the bigtime resurgence of Scott Rolen has put this team into contention.

I am pulling for the Reds, but to be honest I see the Cardinals winning the division. Wainright/Carpenter and Pujols/Holliday just seems like too much-but it should be a fun race to watch.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Contenders. In addition to everything that's been said, I think that Johnny Cueto will only keep getting better and that the return of Edinson Volquez should only help matters.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
As a Cards fan they are contenders If they get all there guys healthy and bring up Chapman in a role similar to
D Price's with the Rays playoffs then they can beat a lot of teams
The Cardinals need to make a move soon or it will be too late they are up 3 or 3.5 already

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
pretenders or contenders..

well, we are into the second half of the season, they are in first place, they have scored about 50 more runs than allowed (so not really fluking wins so far) and they have the best offense in the NL.

I dont know how many players are going over their avg. stats, but this looks like theyre contending all the way. hard to even argue they are pretending. for them to be a pretender they would have to drop off fast because even if they have 1 or 2 suck streaks eventually they would still be looming in the picture

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I think the Cardinals will eventually win that division. Sorry Reds Fans!!! :D

They've got excellent pitching and Jaime Garcia is living up to his BA #2 Cardinals ranking.

Allen

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
No Votto, no Rolen - they are pretenders.

Votto + Rolen + Reds = contenders.

Votto = 1st half MVP.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
donrusscrusademan said:

well, we are into the second half of the season, they are in first place, they have scored about 50 more runs than allowed (so not really fluking wins so far) and they have the best offense in the NL.

I dont know how many players are going over their avg. stats, but this looks like theyre contending all the way. hard to even argue they are pretending. for them to be a pretender they would have to drop off fast because even if they have 1 or 2 suck streaks eventually they would still be looming in the picture

Pretenders.

How many more walk offs and comebacks can the possibly have??

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
PRETENDERS, good musical talent. On a serious note they are pretenders as they have won too many games in the last inning come from behind fashion. Law of averages states that is too many. Watch them come in 2nd place behind the CARDS.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
As a Cardinals fan, I still have to say they are contenders. I feel they are a young, talented team. If they happen to make a move or two before the deadline, they could be really good.

David

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
EricInCT said:
donrusscrusademan said:

Pretenders.

The 8th and 9th innings are played for a reason.

Offensive Team Statistics for the NL
Batting-1st
RBI-1st
TB-1st
Runs-1st
HR-1st
Hits-1st
OPS-1st
SLG-1st

Defensive
2nd Least errors (San Diego 1st)
2nd best FLD PCT (San Diego 1st)

Pitching is really the weak spot and it hasn't been all that bad. Plus Volquez and who knows what they will get out of Chapman or a healthy Homer Bailey by the end of the year.

The main thing is that they are united as a team right now. EVERY player wore a Vote Votto shirt the other day.
Scotty Rolen and Cabrera have been huge team players in all of this.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
jbhofmann said:
EricInCT said:
donrusscrusademan said:

Pretenders.

The 8th and 9th innings are played for a reason.

Offensive Team Statistics for the NL
Batting-1st
RBI-1st
TB-1st
Runs-1st
HR-1st
Hits-1st
OPS-1st
SLG-1st

Defensive
2nd Least errors (San Diego 1st)
2nd best FLD PCT (San Diego 1st)

Pitching is really the weak spot and it hasn't been all that bad. Plus Volquez and who knows what they will get out of Chapman or a healthy Homer Bailey by the end of the year.

The main thing is that they are united as a team right now. EVERY player wore a Vote Votto shirt the other day.
Scotty Rolen and Cabrera have been huge team players in all of this.

Won't last.

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
I don't see how anyone can believe they are not contenders in the NL Central. The Cardinals aren't going to pull away with the division, in case you haven't watched them. Even a really mediocre second half by the Reds will leave them in the hunt, simply because the rest of their division is so bad.

If the question was "are the Reds a lock to have the NL's best record?" then the answer might be no, but we're talking about contending here, and the season is more than halfway over already with the Reds in first by several games.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Time to give Toothpick a big multi year/multi million dollar extension! Reds are Pretenders till they show they can get it done during late August - Sept.

Members online