Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this the year that Jeremy Hermida puts it all together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
It seems like everytime we think he's on the verge of putting it together, something awful happens. I remember that he was limited by injuries through out 2006, really turned it on in late 2007, and then kind of fell apart in 2008.
The guy still has one of the sweetest swings in the league.
I looked at some completed auctions for his refractor RC last week, and they had slumped below $10. It wasn't that long ago that BGS 9.5s were $100+.
I know there are a couple people on here with a bunch of the 02 parallels. What are your thoughts? He's still younger than Gordon, Tulowitzki, Brandon Morrow, Stubbs..

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I am the very definition of being biased here, but yes i think he can still be what we thought he'd be.

He's very young as you said, but since he's been learning in the bigs rather than hitting .330 in the minors people think he stinks.

I still see the plate discipline and the power. He will have an All Star appearance in him at some point.

Post-Hype-Sleeper.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Will collectors be happy with those #s. I think some people are expecting more.

I have a little collection of him and would be happy seeing those #s

ballerskrip said:
Yes, I think this is the year that we see .285, 25 HR and 90 RBI

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I think so. As for card values... who knows what will happen. He'll seem "old" to most of the prospector types.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Huffamaniac said:

ballerskrip said:

He's similar to Markakis, but with perhaps more walks and less power (so far).

I could see those numbers but with a crazy high OBP due to a ton of walks.

He'll also swipe 10-15 bags making him a Fantasy Baseball Darling. This can lead to higher card values than a player of his ilk would have had say 10 years ago.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I’d like to think this is his year, but another part of me thinks that perhaps like carlos Quentin, he’ll be viewed as ‘old’ by prospectors and even if he does splendidly, his card values won’t pop as much as they would’ve had he pulled say a cole hamels a yr or 2 ago.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Huffamaniac said:

ballerskrip said:

I think he'll need at least those types of numbers for his card values to go up appreciably. We're long past the initial boom on his cards. Once, you're past that, it's hard to get your card values back up.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
TelePlayer22 said:
It seems like everytime we think he's on the verge of putting it together, something awful happens. I remember that he was limited by injuries through out 2006, really turned it on in late 2007, and then kind of fell apart in 2008.
The guy still has one of the sweetest swings in the league.
I looked at some completed auctions for his refractor RC last week, and they had slumped below $10. It wasn't that long ago that BGS 9.5s were $100+.
I know there are a couple people on here with a bunch of the 02 parallels. What are your thoughts? He's still younger than Gordon, Tulowitzki, Brandon Morrow, Stubbs..

Did a ref really go sub 10 bucks

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
Huffamaniac said:

ballerskrip said:

I think he'll need at least those types of numbers for his card values to go up appreciably. We're long past the initial boom on his cards. Once, you're past that, it's hard to get your card values back up.

Isn't that the truth. In order for him to break the $55-60 range on the refs that existed 2 1/2 years ago, I think he'd have to hit 30-35 HRs.

And yeah, a ref really did sell for $7 or 8 a couple weeks back. I was surprised to see that a Willis BGS 9 Ref sold for $40 on a BO.. you'd think his prices would have been shot.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I am biased.. he is from my area.. so I want him to do well. I think with that sweet swing we'll see it this year. We all ding him a bit, but think about this.. he was a H.S hitter, that came out of obscurity. He wasn't on the Upton or Francouer level at the beginning of his Senior Season. I think B.A has him in the top 100, but it was like 90's. He was a strong commit to Clem U.
So, I think this could be "The Year" not to steal the U of Alabama slogan..
(SORRY GILMORE, Had to get a JAB in there)

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
First and foremost, he needs to get his head out of his ass. Dude thinks he's A-Rod on the field.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Another reason his cards could have a good pop......

Do modern collectors realize how rare 2002 parallels are?

300 refs
150 xrefs
50 golds.

that's it.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:

300 refs
150 xrefs
50 golds.

that's it.

2002 is the year that defined the thrill of prospecting. Nowadays, if a relatively unknown player from a Bowman set gets hot (for instance, Brendan Ryan, Alejandro de Aza, Clete Thomas and players of that ilk,) you generally aren't going to make more than $5 or $10 with just a refractor or two of the player. Because of the scarcity of the parallels in 2002, prices were absolutely crazy. Shelley Duncan refractors hit $50 when he was called up, and guys like Loney hit $100+ after call-ups.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
TelePlayer22 said:
Mudcatsfan said:

300 refs
150 xrefs
50 golds.

that's it.

2002 is the year that defined the thrill of prospecting. Nowadays, if a relatively unknown player from a Bowman set gets hot (for instance, Brendan Ryan, Alejandro de Aza, Clete Thomas and players of that ilk,) you generally aren't going to make more than $5 or $10 with just a refractor or two of the player. Because of the scarcity of the parallels in 2002, prices were absolutely crazy. Shelley Duncan refractors hit $50 when he was called up, and guys like Loney hit $100+ after call-ups.

We sound like old farts.

In MYYYYY Day, a Refractor MEANT somethin.

There weren't 500, or 599, or some UNnumbered quantity.

There were THREE HUNNER and you KNEWS IT!

Seriously though, the 2002 Draft set is still the Taj Mahal of prospecting.

Also, love your MoneyBall sig.

A world series pitcher, the centerfielder for the new york yankees, and a starting catcher who hit .300 for the marlins. Not too bad afterall.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
TelePlayer22 said:
Mudcatsfan said:

300 refs
150 xrefs
50 golds.

that's it.

We sound like old farts.

In MYYYYY Day, a Refractor MEANT somethin.

There weren't 500, or 599, or some UNnumbered quantity.

There were THREE HUNNER and you KNEWS IT!

Seriously though, the 2002 Draft set is still the Taj Mahal of prospecting.

Also, love your MoneyBall sig.

A world series pitcher, the centerfielder for the new york yankees, and a starting catcher who hit .300 for the marlins. Not too bad afterall.

I wish they would go back to the old way. Made it feel like you got something even when you hit a regular refractor.

Members online

Latest posts