Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT: Looking for some good reading material about...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phxsunsfan

Aug 13, 2008
Baseball pre-1980's. When it comes to players, I know about 80's to present day and BIG name players from the past, but I feel like I don't know enough. Is there a set of good books that I might be able to pick up to catch up on some baseball history?

Thanks!

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Also, start watching "BASEBALL" the documentary by Ken Burns. You can catch it on the new MLB network each friday at 8pm.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
These are the only baseball books you need then:

The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence S. Rittle

The Only Game in Town by Fay Vincent

We Would Have Played for Nothing by Fay Vincent

For the most part, these are first person accounts by the actual players. Pretty rich stuff that'll bring out the passion and feel of the game.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
George K said:

For the most part, these are first person accounts by the actual players. Pretty rich stuff that'll bring out the passion and feel of the game.

Ill second that book. Its great, i couldnt put it down.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
moxacaine said:
George K said:

Ill second that book. Its great, i couldnt put it down.

+2 [ebay:bz3vuhm0]320326635753[/ebay:bz3vuhm0]

It will be the best $10 you ever spent.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
I can't praise those three books any more. I was actually surprised how good the Fay Vincent books are. The first one is better than the second one. I got so much into reading about baseball last summer that I picked up a book called "The Pastime in the Seventies". It isn't as good as the the other three but still pretty solid especially since the subjects in this book isn't the big time all-stars but solid veterans and characters like Fred Lynn, Ron Cey, Vida Blue, Jerry Koosman, coverboy Buddy Bell, one of my favorites Al Oliver, and many other well remembered solid stars.

Check out the cover:
book.jpg

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
phxsunsfan said:
Baseball pre-1980's.

How far back do you want to go? Two of my favorite books are Deadball Stars of the American League, as-well-as it's National League counterpart. The two contain a wealth of mini-bios of HOF'ers, stars, semi-stars and obscure greats from 1900-1919. I highly recommend both.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Summer of 49

The Teammates

Both by David Halberstam

Both the best books I've ever read.........

Members online

Latest posts