Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who has been an ass to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
What signers haven't been so nice to you?

I haven't had any problems in the past. I only get autos at the stadium or ttm. I never yell, push, or do anything annoying. Today there were about 10 of us standing behind Vinny Castilla as he played long toss with someone. After about 5 minutes a guy said "Hey Vinny, how about some autographs after you're done?" Vinny turned around smiled and pointed at the guy, "sure." He finished playing catch about 10 minutes later and then took off. He had my hopes up, as I've been shut out in the past from him. I've heard so many bad stories about him avoiding people, cussing at them, and using the middle finger.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
There has only been 1 for me, a little jailbird by the name of Carl Eller.

We went to Training Camp one year and I wanted some Graphs pretty bad. He had his own stand next to the food so I asked him for his autograph

he said upset like "$20" (or however much it was)

He signed my Vikings visor. Autograph stuck on it throughout the years. I thought it was cool at the time (I must have been in third grade or so). I kinda wish he was nicer and I wish I would have had him sign something different, but it is a relevant item I suppose.

Another one was Chuck Foreman, although a nice guy, I couldn't understand his accent and I think it frustrated him.

No bad feelings twards him though because the first time I met him, I was probably in the first grade and he and another retired player (I can't remember who...) came to our Wal-Mart for photos and graphing. I begged my dad to take me and he did, and they were getting ready to leave and they both signed for me.

This one I thought was rude...

We were at TwinsFest and I was being smart and standing by the radio booth (free autos, you don't have to pay/wait for them) and I saw 3 guys, Pavano, Molitor, and Nathan. Pavano signed for everyone, and the other 2 signed for some people and not the others. Molitor got done and had to go to the Vikings locker room for an interview, and I don't remember if he said it or if a guy he was with said it but "Should we blow them all off?" just loud enough for all to hear. I know he was in a hurry but he could have left and not stood there mocking the graphers. He blew me off, but I managed to get him again a month and a half ago.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
He has gotten better now, but when Lars Anderson was first called up to AA he was a *****. I asked him for his auto on the sweet spot and he said today I am going to do a different sig. He signed Lars *** on my ball. I was 17 mind you.....

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
jbone17 said:
He has gotten better now, but when Lars Anderson was first called up to AA he was a *****. I asked him for his auto on the sweet spot and he said today I am going to do a different sig. He signed Lars *** on my ball. I was 17 mind you.....

Scan it!

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
jbone17 said:

Pretty sure a few board members that me him have had similar stories, just seems like a weird guy.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
Tony Batista

a few years ago he was signing autos, then no coach came and got him, he just said one more, and there was only like 5 of us left, most of them little kids, then he signed his last on and went at sat dpwn in the dugout, Ass

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Arthur Rhodes. It was A's vs Rockhounds (Double-A club) exhibition and I gave him cards to sign. He said "I have to sign all of this?" and signed them angrily.

Pitcher Matthew Peterson blew off requests. He ends up paying for it when he went 2/3 IP in relief after giving up 3 runs. Someone in the stand shouted, "That what you get for refusing to sign!"

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
RNCoyote said:
Arthur Rhodes. It was A's vs Rockhounds (Double-A club) exhibition and I gave him cards to sign. He said "I have to sign all of this?" and signed them angrily.

Pitcher Matthew Peterson blew off requests. He ends up paying for it when he went 2/3 IP in relief after giving up 3 runs. Someone in the stand shouted, "That what you get for refusing to sign!"

Did you check to see if that was Tommy Lasorda?

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
The absolute hands down worst guy i have ever met was willie mays. He is a class A dick. Reggie Jackson is a close second. I know someone said Johnny Bench but i have met him several times and he has always been a great guy.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
bondofan38 said:
The absolute hands down worst guy i have ever met was willie mays. He is a class A dick. Reggie Jackson is a close second. I know someone said Johnny Bench but i have met him several times and he has always been a great guy.
I've got a Mays story that I can add.

I went to a signing of his this past January for a member here. Willie sat there like a vegetable and didn't acknowledge people. He signed baseballs in sharpie, unless otherwise asked (he must know better than that). I handed him the pen that I wanted used, and he began move his sharpie towards my card, before a lady fought him off. He refused to talk, look up, or sign quality autographs for people paying $300+. I was concerned for his health based on how he acted. Reggie Jackson came over and he got right up and all energetic. All of a sudden he was lively. Michael Bourn came over and for about ten minutes they had a conversation where Willie gave him advice. Willie was throwing, bouncing, and catching a ball. He was such a dick to the fans though.

joelmcook

Aug 1, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
17ROCKIES12 said:
bondofan38 said:

I went to a signing of his this past January for a member here. Willie sat there like a vegetable and didn't acknowledge people. He signed baseballs in sharpie, unless otherwise asked (he must know better than that). I handed him the pen that I wanted used, and he began move his sharpie towards my card, before a lady fought him off. He refused to talk, look up, or sign quality autographs for people paying $300+. I was concerned for his health based on how he acted. Reggie Jackson came over and he got right up and all energetic. All of a sudden he was lively. Michael Bourn came over and for about ten minutes they had a conversation where Willie gave him advice. Willie was throwing, bouncing, and catching a ball. He was such a dick to the fans though.

Its been rumored that Willie Mays only signs is sharpie now, because he cannot see it in pen. The biggest A-hole I have ever met was Bo Jackson. Literally I was the only person on the street and he exclaimed "dont say my name, but yes I am who you think I am." this was during the regions charity classic in Birmingham. The guy is from Birmingham and wont sign for the home town fans? Certified A$$!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
bondofan38 said:

Tristar right? Yeah...I like their little disclaimer about how they are not responsible for what pens he signs your item with or how it comes out. Uhh...*****...for three hundred bones...you bet your ass you are. That is why I refuse to ever get him. Not only is $300 way too steep for me...but at that price...I want it to look the best it can. I am not a gambling person.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think my biggest beef is with Craig Biggio. Lance Berkman is getting crabby these days too but I'd imagine he has some reason since he sees the same guys at all his signings. But hey...a lot of them are actual fans. Biggio however will go out of his way to F up an item. The bad thing? Even if you have a hard fought for team signed item going...he'll screw it up anyways. Other things I have heard and posted here in the past about him, things from people I know very well, I just don't like the guy.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Not to me, but to a fan. A kid that looked to be maybe 5-6 years old.
The ********'s name...Roberto Alomar.
Kiddo has an O's hat in 1 hand and a baseball card with a sharpie in the other. Alomar is grabbing things out of random people's hands, scribbling and then moving on as fast as possible. Alomar comes to the kid and the little boy reaches both hands out since 1 had the hat and 1 had the sharpie I figured. Alomar sees the 2 items the kiddo ultimately wants signed and days "I hate you greedy people wanting me to sign a bunch of things" and moves past the kid. Im about 3 people down from the kid but I can hear him start crying.

Best part of the whole story, after Robbie yells at the kid, everyone pulls their hands back and he's just standing there and everyone is staring at him, silent. He says "I dont need this, I have a game to play" and walks off. Would have loved it if he had 3 k's or an 0-for day, but I believe he went 2-5 with a HR.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
predatorkj said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
bondofan38 said:

Tristar right? Yeah...I like their little disclaimer about how they are not responsible for what pens he signs your item with or how it comes out. Uhh...*****...for three hundred bones...you bet your ass you are. That is why I refuse to ever get him. Not only is $300 way too steep for me...but at that price...I want it to look the best it can. I am not a gambling person.
Yes it was Tristar. I was getting a card signed for birdsfans set.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Humberto Quintero in the Pirates Organization.

2 nights ago, I saw him play and after the I asked if he could sign my program (he did) but yanked the pen out of my hand and mumbled spanish swear words at me haha.

Last night I had a 2006 Topps card of him, and asked him to sign it. He said "Thats not me"
I knew it was him along with the other 3 guys that were there. So I said "Can you please sign it anyway" He said "Get out of my face, all of you!"

What a tool....

msink28

Dec 24, 2008
I used to collect autos at AAA Louisville in the early 2000s.

Brett Myers was such a colossal jerk. He made me decide to quit IP collecting. I saw him treat this little girl extremely poorly for getting an auto for her dad. He grilled her on why she wanted it, etc. Let's just say it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, and was seriously enough to make you wonder why you collect autos in the first place. In fact, I quit after that, collecting autos at exactly one more game.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
msink28 said:
I used to collect autos at AAA Louisville in the early 2000s.

Brett Myers was such a colossal jerk. He made me decide to quit IP collecting. I saw him treat this little girl extremely poorly for getting an auto for her dad. He grilled her on why she wanted it, etc. Let's just say it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch, and was seriously enough to make you wonder why you collect autos in the first place. In fact, I quit after that, collecting autos at exactly one more game.

He is an ass here as well from what I hear. What always seems funny to me is the crappiest players always are the ones who get crazy about what you are going to do with the auto. Next time you see Myers...ask him if he has checked ebay for any of his auto'd items lately. Prices for half the guys being dicks aren't very high anyways.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Bonds was always a good one, he never really was an ass but had dumb excuses every single time. His best one was in spring training, after asking for autograph he replied. "man I got to take a mean ass $h!t" It was myself and 2 of my friends, no one else.

Biggest jerk goes to Homer Bailey, he told a 8 year old kid to F off.

Members online

Latest posts