Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Going to the National? Heres some tips:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
This is especially helpful for first timers. Add some of your own.

Its HUGE. If youve never been to one or even to a very large show, you will be floored. So take some comfy sneakers, a back pack, some snacks and a water bottle.

Buy your admission online (reg, VIP etc) because its cheaper.

If you are planning on attending for a minimum three days, you might consider getting a VIP package. Three day admission will cost you $50 ($16.50 per), VIP is $119 and with VIP, you'll get a Topps retro 4 card set, a Nascar set, a collectibles book and a UD and Donruss set (TBA) and maybe some other goodies. On top of that, youll get in 30 minutes before the show opens every day (whats that worth?), get the Wednesday reception, use of the VIP lounge and a bucnh of free autos.

If you are staying at a hotel with a fridge or microwave, consider bringing food with you to cut back on the costs.

I dont think there is any free parking at the hotels near the harbor, have to pay for that so be prepared.

If anyone is considering taking Amtrak, its really cheap. Atleast from NYC, its $98 round trip.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Never eat the food there. It's brutal and more overpriced than food at Yankee Stadium.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
There's a pretty good food court at the Inner Harbor about 3 blocks away. Both Restuarant and cheap food there too.

And most of the parking around there is about $20, if you're not staying at a hotel.

It's very convienent and everything is close enough to walk. Camden Yards is just across the train tracks.

It should be great!

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
moxacaine said:
Please shower and wear deodorant each day you are there. Nothing worse than looking through cards with a stank ass person next to you.
was about to post this same thing, some people are just nasty.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
If you are going to be at the show for multiple days, try to block off certain areas for each day. Its gonna be a whirlwind if you try to hit it all in one day. Its truly too much to see. I took certain areas each day last year so that I could take in the whole experience. In 5 days, I still didn't see everything there.

I also suggest the comfy walking shoes tip. Its amazing how much you will really do. Additionally, if you are going to trade/sell, show up with a game plan. These guys are top notch dealers and there will be alot of people there. Don't want ya to get run over by people who are ready to deal and you're left scratching your head. It can get frustrating.

Make sure you swing by the corporate area and talk with the reps for each company. While they all might not be your favorite peoples to deal with, you may gain a new respect for the jobs they do. It won't help on your Lou Brock auto redemption that you've been waiting 3 years for but hey, you will be able to talk shop with the reps and see what they deal with on a daily basis.

Bring a camera or something to document your experience. For some folks, this may be the only time that you will see some of the things you find at the show. It is more of a museum than a show. There are items you will see that may never surface again. Many of the dealers and companies will be glad to let you take pictures of the items there. T206 Wagner? Sure they will let you have a look at it. Rare Ruth signed baseballs and gamers of Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker? You bet. Its there and it would be fun to look back years down the road and reflect.

But most importantly HAVE FUN! Its a great show and there are MANY great people there.........all for one common thing. The hobby that we all love!

Good luck and enjoy!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
blanning71 said:
If you are going to be at the show for multiple days, try to block off certain areas for each day. Its gonna be a whirlwind if you try to hit it all in one day. Its truly too much to see. I took certain areas each day last year so that I could take in the whole experience. In 5 days, I still didn't see everything there.

THIS is why im glad i collect slabs :)

While you are at the National
It is permitted to point out, laugh at & ridicule to your hearts content any overweight male wearing a tshirt , shorts & mandals (with or without socks).
Pictures should be taken of these creatures & posted here (any videos would be an rare treat for all to see)

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
While I've never been to the National, I have been to some big shows and other conventions, and I can't agree more with the above statement of keeping your personal hygiene up. Nothing worse than trying to look at something when all you can smell is feet and pits.

Buy and Sinorice Moss 1/1 cards you see and mail them to Card Magnet.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Mahoody said:
It is permitted to point out, laugh at & ridicule to your hearts content any overweight male wearing a tshirt , shorts & mandals (with or without socks).
Pictures should be taken of these creatures & posted here (any videos would be an rare treat for all to see)

dammit now i have to repack my bag. :(

:lol:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I've never been but are there deals to be had later in the show on Sunday? Or does that not apply in this case?

And by deal I dont mean a 50% price drop. Maybe like 20% or something?

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
As an added bonus, you will be able to witness the largest collection of sweatpants in the world. Those are also the same folks typically in need of some deoderant. :twisted:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
MojoDan said:
I've never been but are there deals to be had later in the show on Sunday? Or does that not apply in this case?

Normally their discounts put them at 20% above ebay still.

You can get lucky in the bargain bins...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Mahoody said:

Dont 99% of all men wear shorts and t-shirts? Or are we talking about a specific type of shorts and t-shirts?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
MojoDan said:

Normally their discounts put them at 20% above ebay still.

You can get lucky in the bargain bins...

That seems to be the concensus from what I've heard, :)

Members online

Latest posts