Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Made up my mind and I'm happy with the choice (Long-term)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have been thinking about investing in a great vintage card to pick up and sit on for value. I have made my decision and its for the long-term. I want to start a slush fund for 2 cards. They are listed below. I figure I am going to need around $2,700 for them combined. lmk what you think. It will take me a couple of years to put the money together as I am only entering my junior year of college and dont have a lot of money to throw around, especially because I need to save for a new car (mine is old and am going to need a new one in about 2 years, hopefully). Sorry for the long read but would love your opinion on my choices:

1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle SGC 2
1933 Goudey Babe Ruth SGC 2

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
howardpwr06 said:
I have been thinking about investing in a great vintage card to pick up and sit on for value. I have made my decision and its for the long-term. I want to start a slush fund for 2 cards. They are listed below. I figure I am going to need around $2,700 for them combined. lmk what you think. It will take me a couple of years to put the money together as I am only entering my junior year of college and dont have a lot of money to throw around, especially because I need to save for a new card (mine is old and am going to need a new one in about 2 years, hopefully). Sorry for the long read but would love your opinion on my choices:

1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle SGC 2
1933 Goudey Babe Ruth SGC 2

What a stupid idea. Clearly you should spend your money on a red refractor of the next big thing because I hear he could be the next Mickey Mantle or maybe even Babe Ruth.

PS: i love the fact that you wrote "card" instead of "car".

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Hopefully your parents are paying for your college tuition. I'd hold off on getting those two particular cards. They aren't that difficult to find in those grades. I'd work on getting a car if the one you're currently driving is old and a piece of crap. Just my opinion.

Allen

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yea my parents are paying for my tuition. My car isnt that bad (1997 Chevy Malibu) but its getting up in years now. I wont just be spending $2700 just like that. This will be saved up throughout the years, instead of spending 10 bucks at a show or on something stupid, i can take that money and put it aside, eventually building up to the cards. It would be made of spare change and small bills and such that i wont miss immediately and that can add up. Thats why I'm calling it my long-term project. lol

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Nice cards to go with and you can easily find some decent ones in those conditions. Out of curiosity, which Goudey Ruth are you going for?

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
I havent decided yet. I just kind of ball parked a price that i would need and ill decide from there. I was leaning towards the #144 or #53. I started a thread a day or two ago about obtaining an iconic vintage card that would be like a piece of art and the 144 has more color to it so that has the lead right now but it will be years before I will be able to make this purchase. lol

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
howardpwr06 said:
I havent decided yet. I just kind of ball parked a price that i would need and ill decide from there. I was leaning towards the #144 or #53. I started a thread a day or two ago about obtaining an iconic vintage card that would be like a piece of art and the 144 has more color to it so that has the lead right now but it will be years before I will be able to make this purchase. lol

Excellent. That's my favorite out of the four for the same reason you like it, more color and overall more attractive. I had it once but I had picked it up solely for the flip. The only thing in my years of collecting that I regret.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
howardpwr06 said:
Yea my parents are paying for my tuition. My car isnt that bad (1997 Chevy Malibu) but its getting up in years now. I wont just be spending $2700 just like that. This will be saved up throughout the years, instead of spending 10 bucks at a show or on something stupid, i can take that money and put it aside, eventually building up to the cards. It would be made of spare change and small bills and such that i wont miss immediately and that can add up. Thats why I'm calling it my long-term project. lol

OMG. I was with you until this paragraph.

File.....Exit.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
sheetskout said:
howardpwr06 said:

OMG. I was with you until this paragraph.

File.....Exit.
What's so wrong with this paragraph? Yes my parents pay for my tuition but I'm not some kind of spoiled brat, I have made the most of my education thus far by making the dean's list twice and I plan on paying them back once I am out in the workforce and am able to put some money aside for that. I make my own money right now busing tables at a local diner for minimum wage and have been doing so since my freshman year in high schoool. If its the saving that you are not with, I have done things like this before where I save change and smaller bills and put them towards hobby boxes that ran me hundreds (Young and DUMB!). With that being said, I hope you're with me now, if not that's fine also.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
My two Ruth's.....so far...

Genius2.jpg

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
Its not really a chick car, but yea that is my real focus right now but this is just the change that I won't miss and eventually it will add up.

Those are some sick Ruth's by the way and I can't wait until I can show mine off too!

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Well u going to college and soon u get girl and than job / marriage. I don't know but wife usually don't like husband investing on poor condition card. If U going to get it for your enjoyment get it now because women most likely want junk out of the house when they live together. However, getting it to resell long term is not helping you to get your car now. If you do your HW and studies diligently with prospect you make money quickly with minor rookies. Is really up to you and your priorities.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have a girl right now and what I do with my money is my business. I think what most of you are missing is that I'm not just taking $2,700 and spending it on cards right now. It will be saved up from small bills and change over time. Talking about living together is a LONG way away and I dont think 2 cards are going to take up a ton of room, and they are most certainly not junk. I have been doing a bit of prospecting and there are too many unaccountable variables involved with it (if you do your HW). Too many guys fade out, get hurt, or just simply don't live up to expectations to make money in prospecting unless you get lucky. These two cards will NEVER lose value (unless something catastrophic happens) because they are rookies of two of the best in the game. I have stated before that I am saving for a new car now and have been working over the summer and I hold a job at school that I make a pretty good buck at.

Members online