Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I found this quite interesting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
During the pre-game All star game talk. One of the announcers said that it was t he first time in All Star Game history that a 1st overall pick (David Price) was a starting pitcher for his league. I just found that very interesting

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
matty07 said:
During the pre-game All star game talk. One of the announcers said that it was t he first time in All Star Game history that a 1st overall pick (David Price) was a starting pitcher for his league. I just found that very interesting

Strasburg probably joins him at some point.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
Joshua.Roundtree said:
matty07 said:

Oh Probably, but with the history of the draft and its the first time this happens, I think thats pretty crazy

caseya10781

Aug 7, 2008
Tennessee
matty07 said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
matty07 said:

Oh Probably, but with the history of the draft and its the first time this happens, I think thats pretty crazy
I agree, interesting. Glad it was Price :D

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
Excluding Strasburg, there have only been 13 pitchers selected #1 overall. So it isn't that amazing that there hasn't been a start until now. What I do think is amazing is that this is only the fourth appearance from that group (Price, Floyd Bannister, Andy Benes, Mike Moore - all selected only once).

Robert

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
2wrigley said:
Excluding Strasburg, there have only been 13 pitchers selected #1 overall. So it isn't that amazing that there hasn't been a start until now. What I do think is amazing is that this is only the fourth appearance from that group (Price, Floyd Bannister, Andy Benes, Mike Moore - all selected only once).

Robert

moral- DRAFT THE HITTER!!!! :)

always like the story of the guy who was scouting Griffey Jr. Ken and some crappy pitchers scout numbers came out to be a tie, so the team would draft the pitcher because they needed it more. . .. so the scout cheated and bumped Griffeys numbers up :cool:

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
That is interesting. I think pitchers get a bad rap for being busts more than they should though. Many of the guys who were highly drafted were well on their way to being great pitchers only to have injuries derail their careers. I think it's unfair to label those types of players busts when they couldn't do anything differently.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
2wrigley said:

Robert

moral- DRAFT THE HITTER!!!! :)

always like the story of the guy who was scouting Griffey Jr. Ken and some crappy pitchers scout numbers came out to be a tie, so the team would draft the pitcher because they needed it more. . .. so the scout cheated and bumped Griffeys numbers up :cool:

I think the 2004 padres might disagree (matt bush over verlander) :)

Members online

Latest posts