Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Flood recovery continues and a thank you to the Titans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
It's been quite awhile since posting here. I hope things are going great for all of you. The last time I posted here I was checking to make sure everyone was ok from the May flooding.

I live in a small town of around 4,000 and love this place. It's home and a place I could stay at forever. When the flood hit our community had quite a bit of damage. Fortunately there was not a single loss of human life. However, plenty of homes, businesses and churches were flooded out. One of my biggest concerns after the flood was the damage done to our elementary and junior high school. Although the schools had a combined loss of $1 million, the damage to the elementary school forced the school to close the final 18 days of the spring semester.

Fast forward to July 12 and we are less than a month from the first day of school. Some would think that 2 months is plenty of time to fix a school. However, the fact that the school is still not ready speaks volumes about the damage.

Recently I found out that insurance only covers the physical building and essential resources. All personal resources lost by the teachers purchased from their own bank account will not be covered by FEMA or insurance. Long story short they have to bear a financial burden alone. I did not think this was fair and decided to do something about it. I set up a disaster relief fund in hopes of helping to raise money for the teachers impacted. We are going to take the total amount raised and split it among the 39-40 teachers impacted. Preliminary estimates is that this group lost an average of $1,000 each. One of our teachers lost 30+ years of resources.

This past Sunday night our effort was shared on the Nashville FOX affiliate. Here's a link to the report:

FOX 17 Report

We also have a facebook page that chronicles the recovery efforts:

Facebook Page

So here is where the Titans come in. The Titans have been great to our community in the past and come to visit the elementary school every year. I contacted Titans Radio in hopes of getting Mike Keith, the voice of the Titans, to come to the Disaster Relief Fair at the end of the month. I received a message from Larry Stone, Gameday host for Titans Radio. Larry extended his well wishes and said the crew would not be able to attend. He said he wanted to help us out even though they could not be there in person. He asked for an address and said to watch for something in the mail.

Today I received a box from Titans Radio with a pair of items to auction. Here are the items:

1) A signed cleat from Kenny Britt. The cleat was new out of the box.

2) The second item still has me stunned by the generosity. I found a sheet of paper that had been typed out. The paper read that the bearer was the recipient of a once in a lifetime opportunity. The bearer of the certificate would receive dinner for two with head coach Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith, the voice of the Titans! Apparently the dinner would take place before or after a run of the Jeff Fisher Show in Nashville!

What an amazing act of generosity for a very worthy group.

I hope all is well for everyone,

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
WOW, long time no see man, but it's nice to hear that you were doing something great for your community while you were away from here. That's a nice move on your part by setting up the relief fund for those 40 teachers. Well done sir!!!

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks folks. I am certainly ready for life to calm down a bit. And if I do not get Nate's card to him I will probably get banned from future breaks!

Things are going great. I set the goal at $10,000 and we have already raised over $3,000. The biggest image thus far was a lemonade stand thought up by one of the students at the elementary school. Her and the team sold 355 cups of lemonade at $1 a glass!

Here is the image of the shoe and certificate from Titans Radio:

35268_138090862881417_130406253649878_302261_3604491_n.jpg

cano collector

Apr 8, 2010
Wow man, that is a cool idea! I am new here but it is great to hear that even tho there is that much hardship from the floods around you, you jumped up and did this cool stuff. I hope you raise enough to at least get most of the teacher's items back. I will be praying for higher things tho in that you raise enough for all of them to get new things to teach the kids and help more in the community in need.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
cano collector said:
Wow man, that is a cool idea! I am new here but it is great to hear that even tho there is that much hardship from the floods around you, you jumped up and did this cool stuff. I hope you raise enough to at least get most of the teacher's items back. I will be praying for higher things tho in that you raise enough for all of them to get new things to teach the kids and help more in the community in need.

Thank you so much. I think your prayer might have been answered! Today was an amazing day for the recovery efforts. Take a look at what who got involved to help with our silent auction:

1) Ricky Carmichael donated a meet and greet with him August 5th when he is in the county. You will get to hang out with him and he will give you tickets to a championship motocross event. He will also give you his uniform.

2) Cal Ripken, Jr., offered his help in the form of an autographed 8 x 10 picture!

Things are taking shape!

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Last night was the second of our two biggest fundraisers. Last week a local business sponsored a salad fundraiser. We asked to community to bring specialty salads and desserts. We sold tickets for a minimum $6 donation. They raised over $3,700!

The event last night was billed as a disaster relief fair. Unfortunately rain interrupted the event and ended the live music schedule. Of course it was going to take a lot more than rain to drive the people away. Unofficially over $17,000 has been raised!

As far as the auction, the rain did make an impact on the number of people that stayed for the auction. The dinner with Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith went well below my expectations. A friend purchased it for $325. Fortunately for me he offered to let me split the price and go with him to the event!

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
RITM said:
Last night was the second of our two biggest fundraisers. Last week a local business sponsored a salad fundraiser. We asked to community to bring specialty salads and desserts. We sold tickets for a minimum $6 donation. They raised over $3,700!

The event last night was billed as a disaster relief fair. Unfortunately rain interrupted the event and ended the live music schedule. Of course it was going to take a lot more than rain to drive the people away. Unofficially over $17,000 has been raised!

As far as the auction, the rain did make an impact on the number of people that stayed for the auction. The dinner with Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith went well below my expectations. A friend purchased it for $325. Fortunately for me he offered to let me split the price and go with him to the event!
That sucks it rained, but at least you guys were still able to raise a good amount of money. That's really nice of your friend to let you split the cost and go with him.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
The teachers officially have access to the money. Since we know we cleared $16K for certain we can guarantee each one $400 to spend. We are having the check presentation next week after school. Can't wait. Our skydive crew posted a video from the event. Here's the link:

link

Members online

Latest posts