Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Brian McCann's bases clearing double

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Before McCann's night last night, there had only been 3 players to get 3 or more RBIs in an All Star Game and NOT hit a home run. The last? Joe Dimaggio in 1949. Earl Averill is the only other player to do this, in 1934.

Dimaggio got his RBIs with a run scoring single in the 1st inning, and a double that scored runners from first and third in the 6th inning.
Averill got his RBIs with a bases loaded double that scored Jimmie Foxx and Al Simmons, but Bill Dickey did not score from first base and ended up on third. Earlier in the game, Averill hit a triple that scored Joe Cronin.

So, Fred Lynn may have the only grand slam in MLB All Star Game history, but Brian McCann has the only bases clearing double.

David

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Thought that was amazing when I heard about the 1st bases clearing double.

Never would have thought in 81 or so AS games it never happened before.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
DWright5 said:

Did someone else say that last night?

I just thought I would check today because I figured it was pretty rare, but didn't expect to see that it hadn't happened before.

db

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
leatherman said:
DWright5 said:

Did someone else say that last night?

I just thought I would check today because I figured it was pretty rare, but didn't expect to see that it hadn't happened before.

db

Heard it on TV after the game, either ESPN or MLB Network, I wanna say Kurkjian or Berman said it?

Members online

Latest posts