Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dustin Ackley Promoted to AAA Tacoma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
On the MILB threads no one ever brings him up but his base chromes are 50$. So I guess he had to be doing something right. :lol:

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
WOW! I'm an Ackley believer, but to me this is too much too fast. He's made contact all along, but he has not been without his struggles. Mariners put him at 2B to learn on the fly and threw him into AA right away, and now AAA - just a little too aggressive to me.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
jlecates said:
WOW! I'm an Ackley believer, but to me this is too much too fast. He's made contact all along, but he has not been without his struggles. Mariners put him at 2B to learn on the fly and threw him into AA right away, and now AAA - just a little too aggressive to me.

While this promotion came a bit faster than I expected, the M's wouldn't have drafted him as high as they did and ponied up so much dough for him if they planned to keep him in AA for the entire season.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The Mariners have always tried to push their minor leaguers too quickly. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it screws up some careers. That's been their philosophy.

Good for Ackley, now he can put some shivers in the knees of those triple A pitchers with his .250 BA, but his .400 "Good AB's BA"! :lol:

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
jlecates said:

While this promotion came a bit faster than I expected, the M's wouldn't have drafted him as high as they did and ponied up so much dough for him if they planned to keep him in AA for the entire season.

He's also been hitting very well lately. It was just two months or so ago he was hitting below .200, now he's up to .263. I'm sure the M's aren't seeing the power they want out of him (only 2 HR's), but he's walking a lot and not striking out much, so he's showing good patience at the plate. I'd actually be shocked to NOT see him in Seattle come September, so why not get him the AAA at-bats now.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
MarlinsManiac20 said:
On the MILB threads no one ever brings him up but his base chromes are 50$. So I guess he had to be doing something right. :lol:

Eh?

His base chromes AUs are about $27 and his ref chrome AUs barely touch $50.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
bradical said:
MarlinsManiac20 said:

Eh?

Good time to buy?

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
wouldnt be surprised if this is a one week call up, Maybe to boost his confidence.

Same thing the Angels did with Amarista called him up to AAA for a week then to AA.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Jaypers said:
jlecates said:

I agree, but my concern would be that he lapses back into some struggles with this promotion. Personally I would want a player who has had to make all these adjustments to go out on a high note in terms of confidence level - just my opinion though; obviously Jack Zduriencik has a track record of knowing what he is doing.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
bradical said:
MarlinsManiac20 said:

Eh?

I was gonna say, that don't sound right. There's been no jump either, yeah I'd grab a couple just in case he starts hittin the long ball.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
The M are going to move him up to the bigs, as soon as the fire sale starts. I see him maybe up with the big club in late August, Early September :D
I hope so I can fire his Chrome on the bay then. LOL

Joeed10

Aug 10, 2008
Ackley has been hitting lately like mentioned. I'm afraid this is to early. I wish him the best, I have really enjoyed watching him play this summer. I'm thinking this may be a move to make room for the 3 guys they got in the Lee deal so maybe just a week or so call up. But also called up Paredes and Varvaro to Tacoma.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Matt (DC): Ackley was just promoted. What's his timetable? Has he shown any signs of what we thought he could be--high AVG, decent pop, good speed? Have you soured at all?

Jim Callis: I never soured on Ackley. Starting him in Double-A while he made the transition from first base to second was a tough task. Crown him!

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
boomo said:
wow, nothing in his stats shows any reason for this.
good luck to him

Ackley's a good example of observers taking minor league stats too seriously. The guy has been stinging the ball since his slow first month. Lots of gap power. He's showing excellent patience and the ability to put the barrel on the ball.

Scouts and management are more interested in his skill set, defensive abilities, and overall tools on display and don't put as much emphasis on minor league stats as your average prospector does. (Oh, and btw, he's hitting over .300 with an above .400 OBP since mid May, and 55 BBs in his first half-season of pro ball, for those looking for statistical accomplishments)

And obviously Mariners management is pleased with his progression so far.

I think a challenge like this is appropriate. Now he can see some more advanced off-speed offerings and be around some guys with big league experience.

Members online

Latest posts