Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

True "Fantasy" Prospects - Pick One

Who Would You Pick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Disclaimer - these do NOT refer to any players in particular.

You have the choice of picking just one of these two mythical prospects for your team.

Both are the same age and have excellent attitudes.

Option A –

A lefty who:

1) has four pitches in his arsenal, which include: FB (plus-plus), CB (plus-plus), slider (plus) and changeup (plus),
2) can hit triple digits semi-regularly with his FB,
3) has a true 12-to-6, biting CB.

Option B –

A catcher who:

1) is a switch-hitter and hits equally well from both sides,
2) has a success rate of above 40% when throwing out runners,
3) has an 80-arm, 70-power and 70-hitting ability, on the 20-80 scouting scale.

Who would you pick for your team?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Can the catcher run? Could he steal 15 bases in the Majors? If so, I'd take him over Aroldis Chapman.

He has "average" speed, which could translate to 15 SB's. Sorry for the omission. And btw, I am NOT referring to Chapman.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Realize this

A 70 Hit grade is a .330+ hitter in the big league

A 70 power grade is 35+ Homeruns yearly in the big leagues

An 80 arm is pudge rodriguez

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ballerskrip said:
Realize this

Yep. Hence the word "fantasy". These are NOT actual players.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Even though lefty starters of that quality are rare, I think catchers who have the complete package of hitting for average and power and are strong defensively are even rarer. I go with the catcher.

Alex

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
bradical said:
What does your team need?

Do you already have Joe Mauer at C, or is your number 1 starter Carlos Zambrano?

Say you're starting a team from scratch.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Jaypers said:
ballerskrip said:
Realize this

Yep. Hence the word "fantasy". These are NOT actual players.

JP,

I was just pointing that out to those that don't understand the scouting scale. Even at the big league level, there are very few players with a 70 bat, or 70 power grade. It is MUCH more rare for the catcher position, meaning the fantasy catcher your are discussing would be one of the best, if not THE best player in baseball.

skrip

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
A. because there has never been one and it's hard to imagine one ever coming along.

Now if player A has 30 control then I would change my pick. Even if he had 50 control he would still be the best pitcher in baseball.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I thought this question was pertaining to fantasy baseball. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way that catcher would be freaking King Kong. It would be taking Mauers hitting, with Piazza's power, and a Pudge/Benito Santiago arm. That is King Kong for his position. THE LEFTY CAN'T PLAY EVERYDAY. PERIOD.

bradical said:
Jaypers said:
Say you're starting a team from scratch.

Always build a team around pitching. You have 8 other spots in a lineup to make up for a lackluster offense performance from a catcher.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Joshua.Roundtree said:
I thought this question was pertaining to fantasy baseball. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way that catcher would be freaking King Kong. It would be taking Mauers hitting, with Piazza's power, and a Pudge/Benito Santiago arm. That is King Kong for his position. THE LEFTY CAN'T PLAY EVERYDAY. PERIOD.

It's a different type of "fantasy". The purpose of this thread was to see which player your team would covet more - the ultimate lefty or the ultimate catcher.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Player B hands down.

Pitchers chance at injury would be higher plus the combination of hitting skills and defense at a position like C is too good to pass up. The drop off from the C to a replacement would be much greater than the drop off of the pitcher to his replacement.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Player B. Assuming he's reasonably healthy, that's 150+ games a year of domination on both sides of the ball. It's typically a good idea to build around pitching, but in this situation you're getting the guy who'll be handling your pitchers, who'll ease their mind with his defense, not to mention give them runs with his probable MVP-like production at the plate. Besides, this is just one player being picked, you could just focus on pitching afterwards, having already put a stud behind the plate and in the middle of your lineup.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The pitcher is like a 90% chance at a win every 5 days.

The hitter is the anchor of any lineup, plus a defensive weapon.

Tough choice, but I took the catcher. Having the guy's production every day outweighs a great chance at a win 1 out of 5 games, in my opinion.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Do I want the best catcher ever or the best lefty starter ever.

I'd take the catcher, as long as he stays healthy for 10+ years. Always worried about injures and wearing down from catchers.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Hallsgator said:
Do I want the best catcher ever or the best lefty starter ever.

I'd take the catcher, as long as he stays healthy for 10+ years. Always worried about injures and wearing down from catchers.

Yeah, but your vote doesn't count, as you're clearly biased. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts